You think YOUR fiance got cold feet...

After reading this story, nothing surprises me now. Apparently, a bride to be in Georgia literally ran away because she got "cold feet" about her upcoming wedding. Not only did she run, but she made up a crazy story about her alleged abductors cutting off her hair. Here's a quote from link removed

(CNN) -- A Georgia woman, who was found in New Mexico early Saturday and who said she had been abducted, admitted today she had made up the story because she was nervous about her upcoming wedding, police said.

The full article can be read here

link removed

Anyhow, I predict that IF this couple does get married, it won't last very long. IMO, she needs some psychological evaluations and should possibly be put in a mental institution. Getting cold feet and calling off the wedding is one thing, but taking a bus to Vegas, then to New Mexico and making up a story that you were abducted is another thing.

If you all have input on this story, feel free to comment.

Chai,

I agree! I was shocked when I read the report that she was found, and that she had initiated the disappearance herself!

Apparently her wedding was going to be HUGE (600 guests, 14 bridesmaids and 14 groomsmen) and I understand the pressure but she def owed it to her fiance to tell him she was frightened and needed time to think.

*sigh* and we think our guys get cold feet, huh??

I was totally shocked. I was up last night couldn't go to sleep and had CNN on and I saw and hear the interviews with the parents right after they found out that she was in New Mexico alive. I feel bad for her parents and fiance. How do you do that to someone you love, you know that he was given a polygraph for murder?? You don't DO THAT. She shouldn't get married and needs to seek help. I can understand wanting to get away, but not like that, or making people think that you were abducted. She even said- this was at 5am this morning on CNN- she gave the police that arrived at the gas station reason to believe that they SHOULD DEFINITALLY give her a rape kit. Not only is it nessesary and routine, was going to be given anyways, but she gave them reason to believe they HAD to. That is CRAZY!! You don't go around making up stories like that. Her poor fiance.

I've been to a lot of big weddings but 14 bridesmaids and groomsmen?! That is crazy ! Did Lady Di have that many in 1981?

Anyway, she did not handle this in a mature, rational manner. I can't understand a grown woman saying "I didn't think it would turn into this" or something to that effect. She put her parents through agony and I agree she needs counseling. I feel badly for the fiance who was suspected of murder. This will take a long time to sort out and a longer time to come to terms with.

Oh, good, it's not just me, then....

I also saw this story, and I could not believe the lack of backbone this woman must have. Running away...then lying about being kidnapped? That's what a kid would do. With a wedding that big, sure it would be hard to call it off at the last minute, but that's what a responsible adult would do if they knew they couldn't go through with it. Without knowing the people involved, there is no way to know how long her apprehension of the wedding was brewing. I doubt it just cropped up suddenly, though.

Instead of dealing with it head on, she tried to run away, unnecessarily alarmed her fiance, family & friends and had who-knows-how-many people out looking for her. Maybe they would have been angry or disappointed had she called it off...but at least everyone else in the country wouldn't have gotten sucked into her drama. I would certainly hope they get her into some counseling...this is not just issues, it's a year's subscription.

Why are there so many people who won't take responsibility for themselves?!?!

I think that woman suffered from some mental illness or something. Someone would have to be loony to do something like that.

I don't want a complex wedding like she wanted. I want a simple one. Maybe we don't even need brides maids or groomsmen. It just adds to the cost. The focus should be on the PERSON you are marrying, not on the wedding. Weddings cost $$$$$. Love is FREE!!!!!!!

On a side note....I am *impressed* with how CNN now has managed to turn this into a national newsbreaking story with coverage it seems like 23 out of the 24 hours in today!

Sheesh.

Anyway, yes, she has to have some issues....though I don't think hers is a unique case, just most have at least told the other person somehow when they were going to run.

Whether it was the pressure of the actual wedding itself (I mean 600 guests....who knows what kind of pressure may have been involved from family in that....it again drives home to me that I do want to elope!) or whether it was the marriage to her fiance...but in any case, they both will need to seriously decide whether to proceed with this marriage or not in the future.

The way she handled it was immature, how could she not have suspected that there would be flags raised after what happened to other women in the last while that were found murdered after disappearing? It just shows me that she definitely has something missing in her thought processes at this time - whether brought on by stress or something more long lasting. Her poor fiance ended up having to get lie detector tests and everything as well....

^lol^

havent heard of this seeing where i live, but over here american news agenceys have a reputation of sensationalising smaller stories- still sounds kinda bad, she must have some problems, but then 600 people is more than fit in the local opera-house!

I agree that she should be punished in some way. I wouldn't say jail time, but at least a fine of some sort. She should also be required to get counseling. It's hard to say. She lied to the police, gave a description of kidnapers that didn't exist. This story could have been more messy than it was if two innocent people were taken in for questioning. Maybe jail should be in order. It's difficult to decide.

I know - I seriously think she has some real issues - no - a subscription like Shes2smart said!

It reminds me of what happened last year at my university, UW - Madison. Actually, the girl, Audrey Seiler even lived in my apartment complex. She "disappeared" and it was all over the news - CNN, MSNBC - all these TV stations were asking us for interviews. The police searched everyone's room (including mine!) at 3 AM, looking for her. Everyone was so worried. I put up fliers myself in the rain. It was nuts. A few days later, when she was found in a marshy area, she said that she was kidnapped, but it turned out she made the whole thing up. She was having problems with her bf, wanted more attention, so she "kidnapped" herself.

Oh my god - - If you knew at all how angry our campus and our community was - we were worried sick about her! Thinking there was some criminal running around kidnapping girls off of campus.

Luckily - there wasn't. But, both the georgia bride and this girl at my campus have some MAJOR issues in how they deal with stress and disappointment and stuff. There are so many resources out there to deal with your problems. Like this site!

Way better than kidnapping yourself.