how long can you expect a high-school relationship to last?

hi everyone,

I was thinking before and came up with an interesting question....How long can you except a relationship you start in high-school to last? I mean really... i'm just getting into a relationship and i'm almost 17, i'm a junior in highschool... is it possible to carry it on past graduation next year? I'm really looking forward to whats to come but it saddens me to think it might last a year max... any ideas? I know college is supposed to bring new oppertunities etc. but this is all assuming that i want to carry on the current relationship....

Lots of people end up marrying their high school sweetheart. So it's more than possible to carry the relationship over after high school. A lot high school romances end once the couples go their separate ways to different colleges....or they just break up to explore their new found adulthood/independence. Some just want to get out there, meet new people(ones they never went to school with), and date a variety. It just depends on the individual person, how much they feel for the other one...what direction they want their life to take after high school....their sweetheart may be a part of it...or it may not. Talking about it with your significant other and making clear your expectations will give you your answer.

Any relationship, regardless of age, can last any length of time. It all depends on how well you connect with each other and how much you are willing to put into it to make things work. High school relationships have a certain set of problems that can get in the way. Being young people may not know how to handle certain things or may let silly problems get in the way. They may develop new interests and grow apart. Or going to different colleges may take its toll. But if two people really want to be together they can overcome any obstacle and stay together.

Ditto to what Krystal and ShySoul said. I'd say, anywhere from 4 days, to the rest of their lives. I also know a lot of married couples who were high school sweethearts. Also, some drift apart after high school, but then meet again when they are middle-aged, and they fall back in love. Awwww... how cute!

My aunt and uncle met when they were 13 and are still together more than 40 years later. I alos know people who I was at school with who have managed to make their relationships last through leaving school and going to uni, I think that if the relationship is strong enough it can survive anything. Don't worry to much or think too much about it going wrong though, just enjoy yourself and be happy, thats likely to help you survive college more than worrying about it will! Good luck

Anything is possible. I had no romantic relationships in high school. I'm am still very good friends with a few people from high school, after graduating on 03. One of the people I still talk to is a girl who now lives in Costa Rica. She had a boyfriend here throuhout high school. They could always be found together. They are still in that romantic relationship. albeit a difficult long-distance one.

I met my boyfriend when I was a junior in high school and he was a SENIOR! We started dating 6 mos prior to his graduation!!!

At first it was just a little non serious relationship because he was going to go away for college and i still had another yr left of high school. We cried and because we knew it owuldnt work out.

As time went on, 2 mos before he had to move out of town, he went to the local University which thank God happens to be a very well known and good university in the country and since he is diabetic he used it as an excuse to have them take in his application late.

He endedu p being accepted into the local University, getting a full scholarship and we've been together for over two years now. Not just that, but we are moving to my country (Switzerland) this August and are starting a new life together.

So should you date a girl you really like in High School? Yes absolutely. I had no idea i'd be with my high school sweetheart and that fate would step in like that. But it happens and you'll be forever greatful that you gave it a chance.

Things in life pass you by when you fear them. Fear makes us miss out on some of the best experiences we might have. Have faith, and just know that whatever happens is meant to happen for a reason. You may not understand it at the moment but with time it all makes sense.

I firmly believe that things can go on after highschool.

I dated a guy from when I was just turning 17 to 1 st year university when I was 20. We went to the same University and everything together but we ended up wanting to grow and learn things in life separately. We are still good friends and date other people, but we have never closed the door to the possibility of us ever getting back together once we have figured out what we want in life. I think that highschool relationships are beautiful because when you are in one you are able to not only face many challenges and experience the many things that being a teenager is all about on your own, you get to watch it happen to someone who is very close and special to you. thereforeeee in a sense, you help eachother grow into the adult phase of your life. Thats why I think a highschool sweetheart will always seem so special to you, because you have that amazing bond, even if you never get back together.