Usually from my past experience it's just a polite way of there's no hard feelings kind of thing. But don't expect the dumper to seriously be your true friend in terms of being there for you when you really need it or to keep you company. However, if you've known e/o b4 dating, then it's possible to remain friends in terms of keeping in touch once in while of updating with one another with what's going on in e/o's lives. Some people may say it out of guilt as well so they don't feel much of a bad person.

"Let's be friends." = I want you to believe I'm a nice person, and I want to believe I'm a nice person so I'll say this so you won't think I'm a total jerk for breaking up with you but it's debatable if I really mean it.

Well, at least that's how I've seen the real meaning play out in my life in 20-odd (some very odd...) years of dating experiences.

I'd say that after a recent breakup, the dumpee may say 'let's be friends' as a means of easing their guilt, it makes them feel better about themselves and doesn't make them look a bad person. My ex (who I was with for 10 years), told me he still wanted to be 'friends'. Despite saying this however, he still remained aloof, didn't contact me as a friend would and he was always unavailable/made excuses up when I needed a friend........so I reckon he'd said 'let's be friends' to ease his guilt, nothing more, nothing less.

I was more curious about an ex of mine who resurfaced a few weeks ago saying he wanted to be 'friends' and years after we separated!!!!! LOL

Why would they come back years after the breakup to say 'let's be friends'?? Never did find out because I never asked and since then we've lost touch again