University and work history?

I'm halfway through to getting my undergrad degree, so I've started thinking about what employers would be expecting of me after I graduate.

My fear is that they'll put emphasis on any working experience I have. I've only had one job, and that was a year ago and I only stayed there for about 10 months or so. During the year I have a full work-load so I can't work then, and now during the summers I intend to take summer courses as well.

Also, I don't want to work retail, I was hoping to get some sort of internship somewhere but seeing as how busy my summer is going to be I don't think I"ll be able to do anything like that until next summer!

So I'm just wondering, is this going to hurt me in the end? Or would they see that I've been focusing on my studies? Or should I try to find some sort of internship for this summer anyway? I'm just worried that my grades will suffer because of it...

Well - your employers are going to know that you've been busy studying so I don't think that they'll hold it against you. However, yes, if you can get an internship in the field that you'd like to work in one day, that would be great.

I think it depends on your field, but I know a chemistry professor that said, "I'd rather hire a B-student who loves working in a lab, over an A-student bookworm."

I think that practical experience will be very important to getting a job - it will show that you've given it a shot and that you like it. Also, you will get letters of rec from your employer and that will be great.

So, actually, I do think you should go for an internship, and just study hard and manage your time well so you can keep the grades up also.

Hello there. Usually with most university programs, during your final year you will be placed in a internship program. Usually it's up to you to find that company that's will hire you (be aware that you usually do not get paid for your internship like you would a regular job, but some companies will pay you). Usually the internship (co-op) is considered the final part of your studies.

The 10 months experience you have seem like more than most college, university students have. If you worked 10 months stright in one job then on your resume I would put it as 1 full year (ya just lie a bit but make sure your references can back you up and say you worked a full year )

Usually it's not to difficult to find a job after you are finished with your studies. Ofcourse this all depends on what kind of job you are looking for and where you live.

Just be aware that when you first start working you will not get paid that much. Again, this all depends on what kind of job you are looking for and where you live.

What really helps is having some good refferences. The best would be managers, but co-workers can be just as effective. Most places ask for 2 refferences.

I would not work right now if you think it will get in the way of your studies.

It will not hurt you in the end but it might hurt you A BIT in the start.

I suggest your speak with your teachers and ask them what they think as well. Some teachers actually have a decent idea on what the job availability etc is like out there in your field, since some of them have actually worked in the field recently.

BTW, if you don't mind me asking...what are you studding in university?

I have the exact same fears...I tried doing the internship program at my university but the jobs they offer are not relevant to my career goals. MOst of the jobs are just teaching English overseas and working at kid's camps.

Try desparately to get volunteer experience. Apply at literally hundreds of places. Most won't call you back, so you will need to make hundreds of applications to be successful. It takes a long time, but in the end it will be worth the effort.

Thanks guys for all your advice!

Yes, that's why I wanted to get away from retail. I have friends who are applying to work in clothing stores or restaurants but I just feel as though I'm past that point now. I want to get into something more related to the field I'll be in afterwards so I have more experience there.

At my school I have not heard of any internship opportunities that they offer. But we do have a career centre where it is possible to sign up for internships, but I checked the other day and saw that the deadline for those has passed! I was considering asking my professor if she might know of any business (since I know she is in that field herself) that may be willing to take in an undergraduate student for the summer. Would that be a good idea?

As for references, I only seem to have one (a co-worker of mine at my previous job). I wasn't on good terms with the boss, and it was a very small store so there were only three of us working there. Where else could I look for references?

(Also, is volunteering almost the same as an internship? I'm having trouble figuring out which term to use when asking people around for opportunities and it's a bit embarrassing! )

Yeah - volunteering is basically the same thing as an internship. Perhaps you may have a small pay with being an intern. I think you should go to the career center at your university and see what they recommend doing. I'm in the sciences, so I can't help you there.

As for other letters of rec, I would go to profs who know you well. Ideally, you should have gotten an A in that class, and they should personally know your thinking style, and see that you ask good questions during class, and that you are dedicated. Basically, anyone who knows your work ethic and your interests.

I think work experience while you are going to university shows that you are able to balance responsibilities and also shows that you are not "all about school". You don't need a paid job, volunteering is fine too of course.

Retail is not all bad! I worked retail for a while when I was at school, met great people and developed those social skills in dealing with the public in all sorts of circumstances. But of course, practical experience in your field would be ideal if you can find it - whether it be volunteering or paid. Just don't LIMIT yourself to the field if you can't find anything at first. When you are done school you might not be able to find something in your field RIGHT away either.

How much employers place on work experience will vary from employer to employer - some like to see that balance, some will be more impressed with the schooling, some will like volunteering, some would rather see paid, some would rather see experience in field or some will think a varied work history can provide a lot of benefits as well. I worked in retail, in restaurants, volunteered and was in the army reserves before landing "career jobs". So far the military experience seems to be what impresses people most as employers, even though it is not "directly related".

As for your grades - honestly my grades were better when I worked because I had to prioritize my time better and work harder when I had the time to study/write essays or whatever! When you are working full time you often have to focus on several things at once, so being able to prioritize is often seen as a positive thing by employers, even if your average goes from A's to B's. It's not JUST about grades, and honestly I have never been asked what "grades" I got once I got my degree.