Poll on personals

I am wondering what women and men think of personal adds wether internet and newspaper.

Its kinda hard to meet someone in a town, especially when your new in town / country, thats really small (no more than 300 people here).

I just came back from London earlier this week and ran into TONS of chicks that were interested in me, and tons that weren't. fact of life. But when your millions of people around you gets chopped down lower, odds of finding someone is hard.

So I started doing many of those free personal adds from messenger sites, and other top match sites (im not desperate to pay to be matched) in hopes to meet someone.

I'm really not sure what to tell you. Personally I've never tried them...I know of people that have met pretty cool people.... But I would be careful cause some people are fruits! ...

Try and hang out at different places to meet people...This might sound corny, but a gym or a library...I don't know somewhere that you are interested in...who knows you might find someone that is interested in the same stuff....

Just be careful with the online or newpaper aids they can be fake

Hey, I met my fiance on link removed...

We were attending a benefit dinner around last Thanksgiving, and one of the volunteers (an older lady) asked us how we met. When we said we met online, she started telling us how chances are that anyone you meet online is either a convicted felon or a cheating husband, and that nothing good can come out of it...

It was funny because she first approached us to tell us what a great couple we make ;-)

Anyway, I also made a number of friends on that site (girls), and in my opinion it is a great way to meet new friends if you are stuck in the same environment at work, college, etc...

Wow! Congrats! I did link removed for a few months. I met some nice, normal men, but I didn't feel "chemistry" with any of them, so that was that. I'm officially on a "dating break" now. But, I think that the internet is a great way to meet people. I have tons of normal, attractive friends who are busy and just don't have time to meet people "the old-fashioned way."

Well, back in the day, the town would hold dances for young people, encouraging them to meet their future spouse, but things aren't really that way anymore. The thing about the internet is that you know all people on link removed are looking. If you go to a club, or a benefit, you don't know who's taken and who's looking.

Of course, you have to be safe. Meet them in a public area for "date zero." (It's not really a first date because you haven't met them in person before!) Meet for some coffee or a drink or an ice cream, and then be on your way. If you two like each other, you can extend the date.

Most people on line are pretty normal, but I'm sure that there are some criminals out there too....

I don't know how people wind up dating married people unknowingly. I mean, if he won't give you his home phone number, or he can only see you during strange times like, Tuesdays for lunch, or Thursday nights, but can't meet every saturday night, or he won't introduce you to his family and friends... I think those are signs. Or, if he can't see you on valentine's day, I think that's a bad sign too. I feel that if you have your eyes open, you'll be able to tell quickly if he's telling the truth.

For example, one man sent me a e-mail while I was doing match. He didn't have a photo up, but said that his hobbies were salsa dancing, wineing and dining, and back rubs. And that if "you need to see my photo, I'm probably not the man for you." I bet anything this was a married man. I think that married men are most likely not to put their photo up.

Well, it is a way to meet people. In such a large city, you could never meet all the possible singles. People are creatures of habit, and you would probably tend to find a few locations to meet someone. Not that a club is a place to meet someone, but do you honestly think you would visit every club or bar in that city, probably not. Its just a matter of numbers, placing ads gives more people the chance to contact you. You may get lucky, but there are some furits out there. Honestly, you can meet someone crazy in person, and not know it until its too late. Basically, if you meet someone from the ad and they have lied about their appearance, or sent fake photos, get outta there. If a person can lie to you with a straight face in person, it may take a while to figure it out. Evidently meeting someone the old fashioned way is not that great, look at divorce rates now, over 50%. flip a coin. personal ads are no better or worse than the conventional method.

Only you can decide with your results.

I met my live-in boyfriend online, and have prior to him dated a couple other people for a longer time that I met online. I have thereforeeee had a great experience with it, given I have found the one

I personally see nothing wrong with it - it is a lot more common these days as it can be very hard to meet people with busy jobs, hobbies and the like, and particularly if you don't hang out at the bars or are looking for someone who does NOT hang out at the bars! It gets harder to meet single, quality people as you get older, and especially once you get out of university/college.

Just write an accurate, interesting profile, be honest. Have up to date pictures, and have fun! Don't get your hopes up too much before meeting people (in other words don't build a huge relationship online before meeting them) and seriously, have fun with. best to go in without too many expectations but approach it in a positive way.

• 3 weeks later...

Well - my answer to that is so you don't spend months builidng them up in your head. Then you meet them, and they are totally different than your fantasy.

Also, it's a timewaster - you could be spending that time meeting real men

Lastly, if someone is very skittish about moving form online to real-life, there could be a very good reason! He may be married, have a gf, be shorter/balder/fatter than his picture. You might also be his online hobby. Remember - you're looking for a REAL relationship with a REAL person.