*Online* Friendship(s) Survey

1. How many of you have good/close online friendships?

2. Do you write letters back & forth to each other? "penpals"

3. Send other little things such as cards, gifts thro snailmail?

4. Talk thro Ims/emails? or even maybe talk over the phone?

5.Have you ever felt really close to somebody over the net like so much you actually think of them as your real life friend? (even tho you never met)

6.Can you really be close to someone online so close no matter how far?

7. How can you tell a "online" friend that you appreciate he/she being your friend without sounding cheesy?

8. If a "online" friend gives you a call every 2-3 months or so ,would that mean that they still care for the friendship?

I have a few online friends... mostly people that know some of my friends... things like that. we talk about hanging out... when things work out. i have one really close friend, that ive been talking to for about 2 years now... when i feel like i have no one, i know i can talk to this person. its pretty awesome that they're willing to listen without really knowing me.

i think that you can be really close with someone no matter how far... i dont think the distance matters when you're going through things and that person is just there to help you.

as for telling an "online" friend that they mean a lot to you... just say that you appreciate how they've been a great friend to you... despite the fact they've never met you. That doesnt sound cheesy

- tanned_production

I think a lot of people have online friends in some ways, some just may be closer than others. I have a great online friend, which whom I have never met or seen. I met her back in a chat room when I was 15 and ...to be honest, I met a lot of ppl then in chat rooms b/c I was in them a lot then. But this one girl, I have been friends with for...about 3 years. We've been IM'ing each other for these three years chatting online about life, friends and problems. Most of the time I'm the one with the problems tho lol...but yea we both listen and try and help. We've talked from like 12 am till 4 am in the morning ...many times over these years. Now..not every nite, b/c we both are in college now and have a lot of life issues, but we still sit down and chat sometimes on AIM for a little while. She's the only friend online Ive ever kept...if that means anything....but its cool. We'll meet someday....just not now.

an online friend is still a friend. its harder than a normal friendship, agreed. but somtimes these friendships go on fer a bit. ive made friends in chat rooms and have kept em for years. ppl halfway around the world. there still friends and many are really good ones at that.

I have a couple of close online friends who I seem to "talk" about various subjects with.

Via snail-mail? I used to when I first discovered the internet in 1996, but I stopped in early 2000 because I was taking classes, working fulltime and just got enwrapped with a busy schedule. Now, we either write occasional emails and/or post in one another's threads in forums or write PMs.

Same as above, due to busy schedules.

4. Talk thro IMs/emails? or even maybe talk over the phone?

Just through forums, PMs, or MSN chat.

5.Have you ever felt really close to somebody over the net like so much you actually think of them as your real life friend? (even tho you never met)

Yes, various times, and I've even met some of them.

Yes.

7. How can you tell a "online" friend that you appreciate he/she being your friend without sounding cheesy?

Definitely! I've known most of these group of people (we first "met" online between 4-9 years ago), so we have grown up from teenhood to adulthood behind the screen.

8. If a "online" friend gives you a call every 2-3 months or so ,would that mean that they still care for the friendship?

Yes because chatting/PMs are quicker and more permament.

I have one close and a few casual online friendships.

We email each other every 2 or 3 weeks.

Yes, birthdays and Christmas.

4. Talk thro Ims/emails? or even maybe talk over the phone?

We have talked via IMs and on the phone but not often as we mainly communicate via email.

I felt close to my online friend before we met. Now we have met, I still feel close. She's a wonderful friend. Same we weren't in the same country.

Yes, I really believe that. I feel the Internet has made the world a smaller place.

It depends on the friend. I tell my friend I appreciate her friendship, support and advice. She tells me the same. We really get on well.

Definitely because even 2 or 3 months is regular. Far better than once a year at Christmas. We each have lives to lead so 2 - 3 months is quite appropriate, I feel.