Student in search of direction...

Hi guys, and good morning.

Right now I am a student enrolled at a local community college and finishing up my final year for my associate of arts. I took many years off after I graduated from high school and traveled abroad to Europe, where I met a man and we became engaged. I moved into a new scandinavian culture and spent the past few years studying the danish language. Now that I've returned to the States, I am worried about my age and how it may affect my prospects in the job market. Since 9/11 jobs seem to be extremely scarce, and I feel worried about finding something steady and fulfilling.

Right now I work on campus in the library and media center and the job can be fun, although not particularly challenging. It is just something to help me pay for my car insurance and maintain myself while studying full time. I will be turning 25 in May, and I suppose I just have this fear that I waited too long to become serious about my education. Even now I feel I am seriously lacking direction in what type of field I'd like to zero in on. I love writing creatively, as well as traveling, the environment and working with animals. My ideal dream job would be some type of documentary work regarding world issues, or a reporter for the National Geographic, for example.

It just feels like I have such big dreams and yet this gnawing fear of not being young enough, or not being focused enough in time to accomplish my dreams. Does this make any sense?

I am doing outstanding in school right now but I still feel as if I'm lacking some type of direction, or guidance. At any rate, it feels good just to voice some of these concerns here on this forum. This site can be a bit addicting, and I suppose I should return to my studying now. 8)

Hi Jaela,

You are never too young to change careers or focus on a new one!

I am 29 and last summer I quit my job and went back to school for the 2nd time to pursue a degree in nursing, and after I had graduated high school I took 6 years off before going to college the first time for veterinary technology.

I'm sure you've noticed there is probably a diverse age group in your classes?

There are people in their late 40's in my classes, making a change. I firmly believe it's never too late, and an older student tends to appreciate their education more since they have alot riding on it and are usually footing the bill themselves. I've found that I am a much more serious student now than I ever was in high school, what a waste it would have been for me to go right after graduation.

Also, look at all the life experience you have under your belt! Traveling to Europe and studying another language and culture, that is amazing and definitely something to put on your resume when the time comes! It's not all about degrees, when searching for a job you know, and that will def. be a big plus in your favor, no matter what career you choose.

Pat yourself on the back, I think what you are doing is awesome!

It's never too late to something with your life. You're still young by the way kid, so don't act so grown up.

As humans, we all want to be moving forward. When our actions don't produce results, we can become depressed. Everyone has regrets in their life, which can develop into insecurities if you concentrate on failures.

As far as your life goes though, you're moving in the right direction. Good grades, focused, and driven. You can't go wrong with those elements. Keep it up.

Hey. Don't be discouraged. Sometimes being older has its perks.

I just lost a job int he arts (didn't get it) partially due to the fact that I was too young. Think of your maturity as an asset. It's never too late to try new things, remember as an artist that there are several people who aren't successful until later into their career. Judi Dench was almost 40 before she became really successful. I know sometimes when people get ahead of us at a younger age it can be discouraging, But the arts(all of them really) are extremely subjective- that is why it's such a tough field to break into.

Two people can look at the same picture, one can think it's the bees knees while the other thinks vomit looks better. Take a breath, relax and remember never, never, never, never, never, NEVER GIVE UP!

Good luck!