i want to help my brother, but dont know what to tell him

i have a 21 year old brother who has been having trouble getting his life started. he went to college for a year but dropped out. he has been working ever since and is thinking about going back to school. he has been very indecisive about what he wants to do w/ his life and my parents are getting very frustrated with him because he can never stick to a plan and always changes his mind about what he wants to do. he is very depressed about this because he is also having financial trouble and is having a hard time paying his rent. he just wants my parents approval for going back to school but they dont want to approve it b/c he will not be able to afford it, even with financial aid. his roomates are moving out so his rent will go way up so he is planning on selling his care to pay this. my mom has had to bail him out of a lot of situations when he cannot pay his bills and she does not want to have to do that anymore. i am really worried about him b/c he is in a situation where it is hard to find his way out of this hole. i dont know what to say to him b/c he feels he cannot talk to my parents about how he feels. ive told him to ask them for help but i dont know if he will or not. he knows i am here for him and that i love him, and i want to help him more, but i cant. please help me help him.

Your parents do not want to help him right now because he fails to follow through on anything.

He needs a plan. He should decide what he wants to do with his life, what he needs to get that done and how he gets what he needs.

And be specific: i.e.

I want to be a professional lion tamer

To do that I have to go to lion taming school for three years to get my lion taming diploma, before that I have to get a high school equivalency in domestic cat grooming

It is going to cost $XX per year to pay for tuition, room and board and paying doctors for sutures, plus extras.

I can get a part time job at the local zoo helping to clean lion enclosures, which will earn money and be good training for my chosen career.

I can also get a student loan.

But I need to borrow $YY from you to see me through the process. Once I am a fully-fledged lion tamer with a career I can pay you back at so much per month.

thanks for your advice guys, he does have an interest in computer science and that is what he is planning on studying. he has a job at a place that makes computer chips but he has gone as far as he can there w/o anymore education. he makes enough money but he cannot save it, he pays his bills and whatever extra he has left he just spends it on food or recreation. i told him he does not have to waste his money on take out all the time b/c they have very simple meals at the grocery store that he can make himself and save a lot of money. i told him to try to put himself in an upwards spiral b/c once he starts saving money, he can pay off his bills faster and will feel better so he wont spend his money on food or material things to make him feel better. i really hope he can get himself out of this rut because he is a smart kid and i know he can do it, he just doesnt apply himself.