VERY UPSET RIGHT NOW!!!

This may not seem like that big a deal to the people reading it, but to me it's a friggin nightmare...

I've been in college 7 years. I am supposed to graduate this May. Last semester when I scheduled with my academic advisor she told me that (assuming I pass all the classes) I would without a doubt graduate in May. Well today when I got to school she was looking for me. I went to her office and she told me that I am 1 credit short and will only be able to graduate in May IF i enroll in another class. IT"S A MONTH INTO THE SEMESTER! First off I need to get special permission from the dean, then come up with the friggin tuition money, then I will have to make up a MONTHS WORTH OF WORK to get caught up with the rest of the students. Like I don't already have enough on my mind!!! I am putting together my senior exhibition, that's an art student's version of a thesis. I already work 36 hours a week, and got to school, how will I be able to squeeze something else into my schedule???

The school seems to do this to everyone. They do it to keep you around as lomg as possible to get as much money out of you as they can. This is actually the SECOND time I was supposed to graduate and something like this happened. My heart is breaking... Am I doomed to be a f***ing college student forever?!?!

I am just very upset right now, and there is no one around I can talk to, I am just typing out my anger...

A similar thing happened to me when I graduated from school, I was 4 units short. Oh, well. It was only a big deal to my family for some reason. They felt betrayed....I still can't understand why. I guess they are lacking in seretonin, or somesuch!!

Could you enroll in a physical education class or a creative writing class? You really only have to pass it right? Since you are getting permission from the dean, see if you can enroll in something pass/no pass, so that you dont have to worry about the grade...

Similar thing with my daughter. I don't think it's deliberate just sheer incompetence. Bit frightening really, when you think these are supposed to be among the brightest and the best.

I have no practical advice for you other than to offer sympathy and a sort of online shoulder to cry on.

Hope it all works out for you

You are so close to graduating and then something like this happened, I know that feeling... a few times. If you really cannot squeeze anything more time/money/energy into your current situation to get that one credit in, how about summer school? I know it sucks, but you will only be delaying it for two months instead of a year. And you should still be able to walk since you are only one credit short.

I agree with DN, I seriously doubt its deliberate. It is more likely due to incompetence either by a computer system, your advisor, etc.

I know its really tough, but just think only 1 more credit and they can never again affect your life. Try and find an easier credit that won't put a lot of work onto you. And sisterlynch had a great idea of taking it pass/fail so you don't have to focus on the grade or it affecting your GPA. I'd press your advisor for help with this since they were the one that made the mistake. See if they'll give you a break on the tuition too (they probably won't, but hey it's worth asking).

Hang in there cynder. Once May comes it will finally all be worth it!

I just wanted to thank everyone who replied. I feel better now that I have come home and looked at the schedule. I found plenty of 1 credit classes that will fit nicely in my schedule. Now there is just the matter of getting permission from the Dean. My advisor is pulling for me with that.

I know it is weird and it isn't what you expected to happen, but I would say that it is a lot more common than you would think. Mistakes happen. I wouldn't take it personally.

So, you are going to meet the dean? It is just like meeting anyother college professor, you never know. I am sure that once you explain what happened, then it will be over, and you can relax. Get some good sleep, that is all that you can do.

Actually I met him once bfore. Last semester the school lost my aplication for graduation and I had to refile. They were going to charge me $100 dollars for their mistake. So I had to go talk to him to get the fee waved. He is a pretty laid back guy.

I know lot's of people this kind of thing has happened to. I don't take it personally so much, it's just something I'd rather not have to deal with.