Being a dishwasher stinks...

Well this is the first time I've ever had a job, and it was all thanks to some friends who helped me get it. My first day was yesterday and I was doing okay, but my boss yelled me at times for being too slow. I know I'll only be working here 6 months and it will be easier in time, but now for the first time, I'm filled with anxiety about my next work day. Sorry I just had to gripe...

Ahhh, the dish pit. I've been there. In fact, I spent a few years there.

Here's my advice:

First of all, since you are only doing this job for six months, don't worry so much. It's only watching dishes.

Second, I found that I when people said I was moving too slow, it's because I was doing a thorough job. That's a good thing. When washing dishes, it's much better to get them clean, then to have to wash them again.

If you walk into a restaurant and they serve your food on dirty dishes, are you going to be happy? Are you even going to stay for the meal?

Third is similar to the first: don't take crap from anybody. As a dishwasher, you will get blame for just about everything because nobody wants to take responsibility, so they keep passing the blame down the ladder until it reaches the bottom (the dish pig). This job isn't going to be your career forever, it's just a job. It's a thankless job, so don't worry too much if you get yelled at.

Hope this helps.

I started as a dishwasher at my current job. I started helping a bit with prep work, as needed. I started helping in the kitchen when it was needed... I ended up being the only cook for about a year. I then quit, but come back as the only server. I also learned how to make pizza during the time. At this point, I could easily run the entire restaurant, but don't want the resposibility at this time.

Work your way up. Food service is a great trade to know: you can get a job ANYWHERE if you know what you are doing.

i done DW before, yea it sucks . i was making mimun wage and on top of it i didn;'t get any tips. if u can ask ur manger to get u a job waiting tables-ya make more money.

what i noticed at the restuarant i worked at was all the minorities-myself being asian was at the back whilke the caucasian ppl were at the front, i mean maybe there was like 2 asian guys and 3 asian gals out of the soo many white ppl. there was some white folks at the back, but they were either fat, piercings or old old and didn't fit the mesh of the restuarant.

all and all seems like the ppl at the front u also have to be good looking-the gals that waited tables were quite the lookers so were some of the guys-not gay.

if u can get a job try blockbuster vid, grocery store, i think its easier and u get same much money . DW job is slave labour and dirty, i would never do it unless i had to.