a drug addict seeking answeres... any1 help?

I am 25 years old and a addict of crack cocaine and alcohol, this has been going on for about 5 years really heavily, it has ruined jobs, relationships which one just ended of 2 years yesturday. The relationship has been based on drugs and stress. I dont believe anything has really come out good in it. But i love this girl and im going to make sure she gets help as well as myself.

A few of my questions are. Do drug addicts really gotta forbidden themselves from the world. Focus themselves on god and nothing BUT god. I am somewhat a christian but i have went down the wrong road WAY to many times, and i believe god has forgotten about me. It is very sad the way i feel.

I have been going to the DR with artery blockages and minor symptoms of heart disease. The drugs are making it a whole lot worst. I am very by far to start life like normal people because i dont have the yes/no ability to put on myself... has anyone else been in this situation and just so sick and tired of it that you really dont care anymore?

I myself is not addicted to drugs but have you ever tried narcotics annonomus , AA or any other health programs to help you over come this addiction. I have been to AA and if you really want to quit this can help you. there are lots of nice people and people who are willing to help you can get a sponsor to call whenever you feel like relapsing and there really support of of what you do. there are many ways to find these meeting just do a search online for them in you town. or look in the phone book even. you dont have to talk at these meetings you can just sit and listen to what other people have to say and incorporate that in with your life and follow the steps to sobriety im not saying its easy but its worth a try if you willing to get help. well good luck to you and just think about the good things you want in like without drugs or alcohol.

Can't say I've ever been addicted to drugs, but I have been addicted to self-destructive behaviors that have controlled me and caused me a lot of anguish. I am a believing person, so I believe that it is important to fight for your mental and spiritual health, as well as your physical health. But my belief has not been enough to defeat my nastier impulsive behavior.

Addictions come in all shapes and sizes, but there is one thing that links them all. They are a way of coping with emotional imbalance. They are an escape where we feel safe, invigorated, alive. And when the high wears off, we feel dirty, abused, guilty.

It just s*cks.

The good news is, that you posted here. The main factor in becoming a whole person is the strongest desire to do just that. You've got to really want to change, and accept that you may stumble now and then. The real test is how you react to those slip ups. I have found the most effective thing to keep in mind is that my THOUGHTS determine how I look at something. Example: If I think about how much fun it was to get high, I'll be tempted to get high again. If I think about how rotten it was to puke afterward, and focus on that memory, I grimace at the thought of doing it again. So this experience has given you a great reference for just how &!@%$ed up that stuff is.

Bottom line. No, a recovery doesn't mean withdrwing from the world. It is quite the opposite - connecting with the real beauty of the world. Second, belief in God is part of that, and helps you keep focused on a higher meaning to life. That is a powerful recovery tool, a sense of purpose. You do not need to join a monastery! But you do need to get professional counseling, and join a support group.

Do that right now, my friend, and live your life with pride!

First, I don't know to what extent you need to focus on God and nothing but God, in order to be successful in a fight against drug or alcohol addictions. But, something in me tells me that there is an agnotic or atheist who has been successful in staying "clean". I cannot speak to getting clean or non-belief.

However, as a member of one of the Christian churches, I have to disagree with one thing.

If you are a believer, you believe that God has never ever forgotten about you. Not for a thousandth of a second. You may think he has, but he has not. When you thought it, that's when you were turning away from him, not the other way around. And if you have turned back to him, then he is running out to greet you with open arms and ready to throw a party to celebrate your return. This is precisely what Christ was telling us in the parable of the prodigal son. Please read it. See:

link removed

If you are coming back to him, he is ready to welcome you back.

Good luck, you've made the first and biggest step, admitting you have a problem. Don't try to do it alone. Try to get some help, from treatment and ask for God's.

I agree with twigglish, you need to build yourselves a support network. I believe one of the problems with drug addiction is that addicts tend to "hang around" with other addicts. Their social circle is into the drug scene. This makes it very difficult to break the cycle.

Try and find a support network that you are comfortable with, one that takes you away from associating with other addicts. You not only have to beat the addiction, you also need to break from the lifestyle you have been living.

If you are comfortable with christianity then I am sure there would be many church groups in your area that would reach out and help you guys. Don't feel like you have to do it on your own. You don't have to shut off from the world, just from the world you have been living in.

Good luck.

First of all, congrats on posting here, that's the first step. Now as for help, have you thought about entering a detox &/or rehab facility? I dated a guy who was addicted to heroine & just about any other substance he could get his hands on. He tried everything to quit, but he never had the right reasons to. He always tried to quit for me, not himself. & that's why it didn't work. He ended up getting caught (not for the first time) & going to prison. While in there he found out that he had contracted Hepatitis C. When he got out he overdosed again & is now half of his body is paralyzed.

ok, there's my semi-personal experience on the dangers of drugs. But anyway, detox would help you with the physical withdrawals & rehab would help you learn to cope with the emotional & psychological dependency. If you don;t have insurance or don't think you can afford it, there are alot of state agencies that will help you with the cost.

Good luck with everything. Feel free to PM me if you need to talk.

First of all I'd just like to say kudos to you for being able to recognize

that you are an addict. It takes pretty big balls to admit that so, my hat

goes off to you. Is your G/f willing to go for treatment? If not, you cannot

force that on her eh? If she isn't ready, then you set the example and

hopefully she'll follow. Good luck on your healing and if you feel the need

to talk, pm me.

hi, hang in there. this is great that you want help. this proves that you are not too far gone. there is help out there. talk to someone. tell a friend, family member, a therapist, the police, a hospital, anyone. check out this website, i think it can help you too. link removed

and as far as God goes, he can help you and he NEVER forgets about you. he's waiting for you if you just trust in him. he's there for you no matter what! check out this website link removed

hang in there, we're all here for you!

Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.

---Isaiah 43:18

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

---Psalm 46:1