questions about working out

I know that protein is essential for building muscle, but what is the best time to eat high protein foods? Some people say before your workout, and some say after. Also, Ive heard that you are doing something wrong if you are sore the next morning. Is this true? Finally, what are some exercises that would specifcally target my triceps and my lats? I want to work those the most.

I take protein shakes after my gym workout, if you are sore the next morning you've done a good job, if you are acheing in pain.. that means you are doing your exercises wrong. You should always eat 1-2 hours before a work out.

tricep:

close grip bench press

tricep pull down

dips

Lats:

lat pulldown

wide grip chin-ups

you should be working out more than just those two targeted areas, its a good idea if you write yourself a work out scheduel that you can abide by.

and remember if your trying to gain weight and muscle, eat eat eat and eat some more

I know that protein is essential for building muscle, but what is the best time to eat high protein foods? Some people say before your workout, and some say after. Also, Ive heard that you are doing something wrong if you are sore the next morning. Is this true? Finally, what are some exercises that would specifcally target my triceps and my lats? I want to work those the most.

Eat before a workout (an hour at least before...some quality carbs, protein, food that will digest easily).

After a workout have a simple snack...protein shake, yogurt, milk (all have protein).

Eat smaller meals through the day taking care to eat lean protein, lower fat dairy, lots of fruit/veggies, whole grains.

Soreness is good...means you targeted those muscles and the muscle fibers will repair to make more muscle! Sharp pains are BAD though.

I advise you get a personal trainer for at least one session - they can help you with a workout plan, and teach you proper FORM...too many people put on more weight but have no form and are ineffective. PROPER form goes a LONG way! Please keep in mind when working out you should go all over body...a person with great upper body but skinny legs looks silly! Many of the exercises that work other muscle groups will also work triceps and lats too, so don't dismiss an exercise because of that!

And don't forget cardio! Good for the heart, and leaning up! And proper stretching. Nothing funnier than a gym rat who can't run 100 yards, or bend over and pick up his pencil

When to eat:

You should consume quite a lot of protein (about 1.5 grams per pund of body weight) each day but particularly in the hours before AND after a workout. Try to eat a high protein snack in the hour before your workout and the another snack or even a meal in the hour after.

Soreness:

Being slightly sore the next morning is a good thing because it shows that the exercises you have been doing have been effectively working your muscles. Most beginners find that they are sore the next morning because their bodies need to adapt to the new routine, this soreness tends to become more infrequent as you become more experienced because your body has adapted.

However, if it is a crippling soreness then it shows that you have overworked your muscles and that you need to ease-off slightly in your next workout. If there is any pain then you should consult a doctor.

Triceps:

Some very effective exercises that target the triceps are:

- French press

- Cable tricep pushdowns

- Dips

- Tricep kickbacks

- Narrow grip bench press

- Narrow grip pushups

Lats:

Some very effective exercises that target the lats are:

- Wide grip pullups (overhand grip)

- Front lat pulldowns (wide, narrow, v-bar grips)

- Gorilla crunch chin-up

If you are unsure about any of the exercises then just put the name into google or feel free to ask me!

Hee hee, I call them SKULL CRUSHERS...sounds tougher

Lol, my mate used to call them "nose-breakers" until he found out why they are called that... the hard way

YEOWCH!!!

Maybe I better call them French Presses after all, in case it's a self-fulfilling prophecy to call them the other name

If you are not sore the next day it does not matter. Being sore does not mean that you have had a good workout - and it doesnt mean you have had a bad one. You shouldnt judge if you have had a good workout by the level of soreness. Everybody is different and a lot of factors come into play like rest, how you warm up/ stretch etc. But you will probably find you have 'tight' muscles the next day.

For the exercises -> what everyone else said.