She's 22 and has Cancer

I guess I'm a little shocked. I've never known anybody that has or has had cancer before. I mean I don't know her that well but I did go to school with her and she is my Mum's friends daughter. I couldn't possibly imagine what she is going through. I know that she has a great support group and that she will get through this.

But it does make you think that one day you could be here and the next you could be gone. Life is so short and some of us just waste it away while others hold on to every second that they've got. I guess hearing the bad news has made think about alot of things and reflect back on the past few years of my life.

Thanks for sharing this with us *cassandra* It has really made me think... Some like this has happened to me... I friend had cancer as well.... and... Don't want to explain it but...

It has change my view and made me focus on my goal... thanks for sharing this again and I hope everything goes well for this girl....

One of the most frightening things for me to hear is someone around my age is sick...

One of my dear friends from college became a nurse, and now she has so many problems. She is worse than my grandmother, and she's only 25. She's already on permanent disability. In the past three years she's had endometirosis, problems with her bones, and a whole slew of heart problems, not to mention pre-cancerous cells in her cervix. She's admitted to me that she thought she was going to die more than once.

Now her condition has caused her to have memory loss. She's only 25. It's so frightening.

At the same time I feel so lucky to have only minor health problems. But we all have our struggles... this is why we should value and respect each other. You could cross the street and get hit by a car and die today. My friend's condition reminds me that I have to live every day to the fullest and take chances because tomorrow is not promised to anyone.

Cancer is so powerful. It's just seems to be so strong, and we just arn't taught how to cope with it except through experience, which is really hard. trust me, my grandpa, great grandpa, great uncle, grandma, and several other people i've known have had it.....my best friend in elementary school had lucemia, and my brothers friend just came back to school from it. It's all over, some live, some do not. My prayers are with your friend

I'm going to find a cure for cancer, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be the person who can do it.

well, a lot of it is based on what type of cancer you have, certain types have different death percentages. these days however treatment is getting better and better. death percentages that were once upwards of 90% are now in the mid 50's. This is not ideal, but it is better from what it once was. It is interesting Jimbo10 you say your going to find a cure for cancer, are you planning to study to be a doctor or sumthin'?

well, a lot of it is based on what type of cancer you have, certain types have different death percentages. these days however treatment is getting better and better. death percentages that were once upwards of 90% are now in the mid 50's.

And I understand that. But the type of cancer she has is very, very rare for someone of her age and its also very rare in women. I just think that hearing her bad news has helped put my life into perspective.

I have a friend, who back when we were 15, had lymphatic cancer... Of course, thank God he was saved, although he always had a good chance of recuperating... but I was so awe-stricken... I mean, I never thought he would have cancer... especially being only 15... it was so scary... well, he's doing great now, at least, lol.