How much should you be able to bench press based on age?

robowar

I'm wondering if there's some sort of medical information I could get as to how much weight you should be able to do 8-12 reps of bench pressing depending on your age. I'm 15 and I'm wondering what's the average for guys my age and what should I be able to lift?

Thanks.

its not really age that matters its size. Id say you should be able to bench close to your own weight. i am 16, I weigh 190 and I bench 185. which is alright since I am strong because I play football. smaller guys should be able to bench close to their weight guiys who are like 120-135 pounds. But once you start getting heavier it will be tougher to bench your own weight.

First off, bench is way overrated... I don't understand why people base strength off of "benching" -__________-

Anyways...

Age really has nothing to do with how much u can bench

Height, Arm Length, Natural Build is all determining factors (im sure im missing others as well)

The taller you are, the longer your arms are, so the farther you have to move the bar... Which means less weight... Im talking REALLY tall...

I see kids with shorter arms bench the same as me (225) with ease...

btw, if you are doing 8-12 reps a set, your bench will be pretty low, higher reps = less weight/more tone.... less reps = more weight/bulk(muscle mass).

• 1 year later...

I am 17 and I am benching 165 in reps and I weigh 120 my body is lean if you keep lifting youll be able to bench more than your weight eventually

but yes the other are write age doesnt matter.

but also remember dont just bench work your entire body and youll see better results

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure I understand what the point of this is - yeah I go to the gym & do weights but do people really focus this much on just one exercise?

You're much better off doing something more practical IMO - do some climbing, get good at running, do some boxing training, that kind of thing. Gives a much better workout, gets you properly fit (rather than just building muscle) and means you actually learn something rather than just pushing weights around.

Actually tim, doing bench press is a GREAT core strength exercise!

Its sounds like you are quite negative to the 'pushing weights around' activty. Why is that? Weight training is often overlooked by women, who do not realise that they can actually become SMALLER by regularly lifting HEAVY weights. It does great things for running, swimming, cycling.

I laugh my head off when I hear my friends (who do not lift weights) say things like..

"I do REAL activities, like running, biking, climbing, hiking ... etc'

I have a skinny friend who says things like "I don't respect guys who go to teh gym.. I do REAL sports like biking and hiking'

I just laugh, because he is obviously threatened by guys who go to the gym and do things he can't!

Obviously, tim, if you are just pushing weights around, you are not doing them properly. Nothing wrong with building muscle, it can really help with your running training, triathlon training etc. and is one of the best ways to lose fat!

to the OP, it has nothing to do with age, but more to do with your strength, and in that area of your body.

heh, I do go to the gym and I do press weights! was just there earlier. I just find the "how much can you bench" attitude a bit weird - I use it to make me better at the other stuff I do rather than for its own sake.

ha I know you do.. I was just going off on a tangent because so many guys I know, my friends actually have this thing against people who do weights...

Its true that most guys I know at the gym seem to ask" So how much can you bench?" as some sort of word of truth for how strong a guy is.

For me, my shoulders are the strongest, next is squats.. and its not like anyone ever asks me 'so how much can you shoulder press?" ha ha!

I actually would not worry about what somebody should be lifting at a given age....everyone is different. Do what you can do and work hard at it and you can work your way up. I started weightlifting when I was 14 and could bench around 135 maybe I was probably 160 pounds. Now I am 24 and can bench press 405 pounds and weigh 245. So dont worry about what others do only do what you can and work hard at it. Diet is also key. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck.

• 1 year later...

Nothing to do with your age. It varies. Size doesn't really effect your bench either. There are guys at my gym throwing up close to 200lb bench presses who look like they weigh 120, then there are guys throwing up 135 who look like they weigh a good 160-170. It's all strength.

And I just realized I responded to a 2 year old thread. Nevermind.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Im 14 and I way 140 pounds and im 5ft7'', and I bench 170. I guess it's good for my age. If you can bench your own weight when your 14-15, it's good. Then when your about 16+ about 10-30 pounds more than you way. This also depends on what kind of body structure do you have. If your tall you weigh more, and it's harder to lift your own weight.

• 2 months later...

I got a medium-big build, but I dont really lift. I curl 35, and I did a dead lift when I was 12 and did 55. How much do you think I should be benching/dead lifting? Btw, when you say how much you lift, you add the weight of the bar right?....I also gotta say that most of that weight is fat, and I will try out for football next year as a lineman

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived