Birth Control Pills for Menstrual Cramps?

My doctor suggested I go on BC for my cramps that I get during my period.

Will this really help?

The pain is so intense, I cannot even explain it. I can't move, I'm in agony, it's aweful.

I'm trying out a prescription medicine first (will have to wait until next month to try it out, though), but if it fails, I'm wondering about BC pills.. is anyone on them specifically because of bad cramps, and does it work?

How about your appetite, did it increase? Because I know that's one thing that can happen and I'd like to avoid it, but I'm curious either way.

And also, what kind of side effects do they cause?

I would much rather hear from personal experience than the ones they list on commercials.

Pills make your period more regular, lighter and shorter and can definitely thereforeeee help with cramps.

I never get cramps actually...though recall getting them before the pill (not bad ones though).

It can make your appetite increase or decrease, but as with other side effects this is temporary. Once your body regulates to the extra hormones they dissappear.

I get horribly bad cramps, to the point that if I don't take my prescription pills all I'm able to do is lie in a fetal position for 5 days. However, there's an underlying problem that's causing the terrible pain, so my case is a little different than yours. Even with my pills I still get really bad cramps, so my doctor suggested I go on birth control pills as well. First I tried a brand called Alesse, which did absolutely nothing, than I tried Marvelon which actually made the pain worse, and for the last two months I've been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen and I have noticed a slight decrease in the cramps. As for side-effects, I haven't experienced any increase in hunger or an increase in weight gain.