Gaining weight according to my scale

Alright hi everyone, just asking for some fitness advice to anyone who's and expert or maybe had the same experience or know what to do

for years i've taken interest in fitness, but just about 8 months ago i decided to take my fitness seriously, and for that time i dedicated myself to a proper diet, and workout routine, it wasn't easy at all. but i am proud of what i have achieved. last December i was at 24% body fat at 50kg (skinny fat i know the sacle is weird) and 2 months ago i was at my leanest, I measured at 66kg at 12% body fat, had abs and all. im just 5'6 BTW.

However the problem is that last month i took a week off from my diet as there was a week long event that i got involved in, and it would involve food, not participating in it would've been rude. anyhow. I did feel and gain weight after the event had my belly sag and all like Thor from Endgame. I took it as a challenge to loose that fat and look and feel good again. BUT NOW! according to several scales, the one on my gym particularly where its a high tech scale, and the other one at a near by clinic they all say i got fatter, took several tries and they all say the same thing.

the weird part about it is, that i dont feel fat and saggy anymore, im not at the level that i was yet, but i feel the improvements and i see it too. i guess im just looking for some arbitrary number from a scale. but also i am concern for my health? as to where my body is storing all that fat, and if i am at risk of something i dont know yet?

PS.

i know this is such a shallow post, and believe me, i dont want this to seem like im just raving off my body i dont im quite conservative about it hence why im posting it here than , but i am genuinely concern if this is something that i should be worry about? Hope i dont come across as arrogant as i can see that it could be a thing.

Not shallow. One likes to feel and look their best. Very normal.

Funny, I don't use a scale, I go by how my clothes fit. I tried buying a scale, last year. Every scale in the store gave me a different reading, so I decided to continue with my clothing as my barometer. I know that this is not realistic for all.

according to several scales, the one on my gym particularly where its a high tech scale, and the other one at a near by clinic they all say i got fatter, took several tries and they all say the same thing.

I find it curious that being into fitness you aren't aware of the difference between "getting fatter" and increasing your weight. They are not one and the same. Your average scale isn't telling you that you got fatter, unless you have had a recent re-evaluation of your body fat percentage which indicates it is higher than it was before.

If you have been putting on muscle mass, it can certainly account for higher numbers on the scale. Muscle takes up less space than fat, as it is denser. So while you might be leaning out in terms of body fat percentage, and noticing a difference in how your clothes fit, it does not mean you will therefore see lower numbers on the scale.

Fitness is a passion of mine as well, and I have not owned a scale in years. I quite literally have no idea how much I currently weigh, though I could maybe ballpark it. What I do know is that my muscles are more toned, my clothes fit differently and my measurements have changed over the years as I have gotten fitter.

My point is that you are focusing too much on the numbers on the scale, and not taking other factors into account, such as body composition, water retention and so on.

I can tell you straight up that the weight scale is just 1 aspect out of many, and the scale can literally drive you nuts if you let it. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. 2.5 months ago I was at 248LB and 35% BF. Right now I'm at 216LB and 24% BF. If I just went by the scale, I would have given up 10 times by now. I've had days where I'd be plus or minus 7 pounds for no apparent reason, it's the just name of the game. If you're lifting a lot, you'll gain muscle, and your weight will go up. But IMO, you need to ask yourself about your goals - do you want a six-pack, do you want big muscles, do you want those bicep veins, do you want to lift heavy things? All different goals with all different paths and details about getting there. Re: the food, I won't be Debbie Downer, I'll just keep it real - I had to forget food as I know it, because even a glass of orange juice has 26g of carbs, and that's more than my carb count of 20g for the whole day!

They gym will only get you so far, unless you mind the food, it's a losing battle.

Keep in mind, if you exercise a lot, muscle weighs more than fat so a person can appear lean and fit while actually weighing more than their appearance which is deceiving.

I've been in social settings where offered food is definitely not on my diet. There is a way to remain diplomatic towards the host. Simply say, "For health reasons, I will maintain my diet regimen." If they're annoyingly insistent that I eat their food or pry, I become irritated and tell them that I need to improve my blood test results!!!! Generally, people back off and respect my wishes.

If you're the type of guest who wants to be polite, you can eat your cheat food in tiny, very miniscule bites. Don't serve a lot of food on your plate or bowl. Eat less than moderation. You don't have to gorge in order appease the host. If you eat less than moderation, you won't sustain significant weight gain and generally revert to your exercise and diet regimen the following day.

Continue your diligence with diet and exercise. I always tell myself that diet and exercise are non-negotiable and habitual just like brushing my teeth daily. I even exercise on days when I don't feel like it because I always feel like a millionaire afterwards.

Ignore the scale. As others have mentioned, I too gauge how my clothes fit. If they're loose, I'm doing well and if they're snug, it's time to get even more serious with diet tweaks and exercise. No pain no gain.

Wow thanks to everyone, that was really encouraging! i think i just need to go by how i look and get a tape measure instead of relying on a scale. im still keeping at it, i just weigh in 140lb yesterday at 16.8% BF, but thanks to these afvice i no longer care about that, i'll just go by how i look now and maybe a tshirt or two ;)

Wow thanks to everyone, that was really encouraging! i think i just need to go by how i look and get a tape measure instead of relying on a scale. im still keeping at it, i just weigh in 140lb yesterday at 16.8% BF, but thanks to these afvice i no longer care about that, i'll just go by how i look now and maybe a tshirt or two ;)

I wouldn't even bother with the tape measure. Go by how your clothes fit. If they're loose, you're doing great. If they're snug and getting tight, it's time to decrease your food consumption, choose the right food for a lean body and exercise diligently. Diet and exercise require a lot of consistent self discipline.

Exercise safely though. Beware of overuse injuries. Cross-training is good.

Make your health #1 priority. I will say that you have to be selfish about it because this is how I am. If I don't take care of my health, I'm no good to anybody. I don't make others happy by eating food that's not on my strict diet. I'm adamant about sticking to my strict diet and exercise regimen. If they don't like how I am, that's their problem, not mine. I respect others, however, they need to respect my lifestyle, too. It's very easy to say, "No thank you." If they don't like it, too bad. I will not sacrifice my health just to appease and pacify others.

As with all things in life, it boils down to self-control.

Archived