Dealing with Bosses at work that frustrate us from time to time

Hello guys, here's a situation at work

I recently quitted a job I had in an oil station upon getting my Bachelors degree in Sports Science because the situations at the workplace were terrible, the Boss was not the problem neither the co-worker but the bad working enviroment was and it made me occasionally sick, so after 4,5 years of patience I gave my quits.

Ok I rested very briefly since I felt family pressure to find a job and I did, now I have a job for time being in an events hosting room. I have 5 Bosses there because it's a family Bussiness.

There is one Boss that always spies to see if we are doing things right, well I get it it's his job , however he does it in a really weird manner, there is like an open window next to the bar which I work he spies from there and sometimes he is right behind me to the point of sensing the dude, he is literally right up my ass it's not even funny.

Well since I am new no other Boss complained that much to me than that particular man, I tend to take deep breaths and try to avoid the guy but occasionally he treats me well when the pressure of the work is lifted off at the end of the work when we are cleaning the place.

You know man, when I get the wrong drinks in the fridge like not the normal pepsi but the diet one he tends to scream and get frustrated ( well theres too much pressure on him I guess as well) so he screams at me but well that's ok I forgive the guy lol.

I try to avoid him as best as I can and I keep my head down and do not make any eye contact at him ,when he calls me I address him with respect man and when I make mistakes I say I'm sorry

Well you guys I just wanted to get this off my chest and I find that the reason I joined here is to help cope with work.

If you guys have something in mind that can help pass work time more gracefully in a better manner please give me some ideas

Thank you guys for reading this.

You're doing better than most would in that scenario. Is going back to school a possibility? Or taking night/part-time courses in a more specialized area? You have a BSc(?) in sports science. Why not become a personal trainer or go back for a masters, something to do with dietary studies or nutrition if you're also interested in that sort of thing.

It sounds like you have mostly worked in service roles/industries/hospitality -is that the right fit for you in general? Do you like that kind of work? What's your educational background? I am sorry you are getting yelled at. What do you do when you make mistakes? How do you react verbally, what actions do you take, etc? I am not there so I'm not sure if the wrong type of soda is a small or big problem. I can see where if he needs to make sure he has enough regular and diet for the attendees at the event it could get frustrating to have to remind you to make sure that there are enough of each type that are cold enough.

What I would do is try to ignore the micromanaging as best you can and work very hard at getting better at remembering the details - come up with ways that work for you -for example, I have a list on a post it in my kitchen that I write out every night -often with the same items on it, some variation so that when I am rushing to get out the door every morning with my son I can glance at my checklist. It relaxes me to have it there because I need about 6 different things to get out the door then usually have to attend to 3-4 more in the hour or so after I get back from the school drop off. I do the same th my job -I have some typed lists, some written, I have reminders on my phone, I e-mail myself, etc. We all make mistakes of course and it's up to you as an employee to take the initiative and come up with systems that work for you that increase efficiency/productivity/reliability. Also make sure you express in a professional way that you are responsible, accountable, and what you plan to do to avoid making the same mistake next time.

Good luck!

Next time, he's behind you, say "hi"

or

"Do you need me for something?"

"How are you doing today?"

"Would you like to review with me what I'm doing?"

"Is everything okay?"

When you don't address it, they don't realize how micro-managing they can be with their hovering. And at least this way, you can become friendly with each other.

Your boss needs to know whether he can depend on you. Give him what he needs. He won't micromanage as much and will give you space over some time. Try not to make any mistakes as it will put him on edge and cause others to question you. Keep growing a thick skin. The hospitality industry is psychologically (mentally/emotionally) draining. You'll have to ask yourself if you want to stay in it.

My husband is a chef... going almost two decades. I've heard a lot of stories over the years and am beyond grateful whenever I walk into a restaurant. I know what goes on behind the scenes and the amount of coordination required. I also know the toll it takes on a professional in the industry long term. Make sure you get adequate sleep and eat well too. It'll help with memory retention and focus.

Archived