Kissing & Sore Throat?!?

Last saturday I made out w/ my bf. The next day my throat was scratchy/sore. It went away by monday. Yesterday after making out w/ him (we didnt see eachother all week) again the same thing happens. What is happening? Is this normal or could I possibly have mono? And if I do have mono what does that say about my bf? I googled mono and read that is is common but I actually havent heard much about it...

I am not sure, but I think if it was mono - or any other kind of virus/bug/illness - it wouldn't go away in just a few days.

I'm wondering if you're getting a lot of air in your throat or something when you two are kissing, and that's causing the sore throat? If so, you two must be doing some mighty intense kissin'!

His saliva might be irritating your throat as well. Maybe you are a little sensitive to his body chemistry or something. He might also have a little bacteria in his mouth and that's getting into your throat.

Have him try brushing his teeth and tongue next tiem before a make out session and see if it gets any better.

I seriously doubt you have mono based on what you are describing.

If you have mono, you would know. You would be sitting in your bed and not wanting to get up. You would be VERY WEAK and would probably be running a fever. I've known two people that had mono and they dropped weight fast during the first few weeks after the first signs and were unable to go to classes. It took them a 3-4 weeks before they felt okay again and quite awhile after that before they felt normal. Their experiances were far from a sore throat. Never had it personally though

Technically, you shouldn't see any signs for about a month after being infected with mono. I don't think mono is that common like a cold or cough so no worries!

His saliva might be irritating your throat as well. Maybe you are a little sensitive to his body chemistry or something. He might also have a little bacteria in his mouth and that's getting into your throat.

Have him try brushing his teeth and tongue next tiem before a make out session and see if it gets any better.

I seriously doubt you have mono based on what you are describing.

er, this sounds a lot more plausible than my "too much air in the throat" theory, lol. I have no idea where/how I came up with that one.

Im thinking of still getting tested for mono..just in case...idk Im confused.lol.

We were making out for quite a long time maybe an hour and a half or longer. I really dont know what else could be the problem. I really didnt think about it much b/c it went away....

Trust me, you don't have mono. Maybe a 24 hour bug or something, but not mono. Your symptoms are all out of whack if you have it. You would definitely be feeling it if it were mono and the sore through would not have gone away like that.

Could it be allergies? For 20 years I lived without any allergy symptoms and then BAM! I start getting running noses, sinus headaches, irritated eyes, and sore throats and coughs every once in awhile.

Kissing makes allergies flare up?

If you are sensitive to the saliva or body chemistry of your partner - oh yeah it can flare up. If it keeps happening you might want to check with your doctor.

I am relatively positive you do not have mono. That doesn't appear and then disappear. You'd be miserable and weak if you had mono.

If you do go to the doctor ask about the various issues we've mentioned here. Like his saliva causing an allergic reaction.

BTW, isn't mono a virus? I don't think there is medication for it specifically since you can't reallt treat viruses. You kind of just sit in bed, try to stay hydrated, and maybe take some medication to lower the fever.

So I saw the doctor today and she said I dont have mono (although she didnt test me) She seemed clueless about everything. She said it could possibly have something to do w/ my allergies. I do have really bad allergies that I take medication for daily. So hopefully the sore throat thing wont happen again...I know he's not diseased or anything...we both are virgins, and havent done anything (I didnt tell her that though, and never mentioned std's anyway)...so I guess it'll just go away after a while. thanks.

Archived