Any ideas to improve critical thinking?

LIM

My wife is constantly telling me that I have no critical thinking skills. I can't make an argument, I can't make a plan, I can't execute a plan. Any advice on how to improve this? Any books I can read? (maybe one that can better define what is meant by "critical thinking")

Why would your genius wife be constantly criticizing your cognitive skills?

Even if she isn't entirely wrong, she's not really being helpful at all.

In what ways have her constant reminders of your daftness helped you?

If you yourself desire some help organizing your thoughts and plans, I suggest looking up advice intended for ADHDers, much of it is helpful whether one has an actual attention deficit disorder or not.

I will add that exposure to constant criticism can cause quite a mental block.

Unless we're missing some important info, your wife sounds like a bit of a jerk.

If there are specific "arguments" and goals you're struggling with, perhaps if you explain you may get some practical suggestions. If it's something affecting health, employment, finance etc, I would understand where the pressure to learn to handle such affairs comes from.

Going to an attorney to discuss getting rid of this bully/nag would demonstrate quite superior "critical thinking skills".

Make an appointment with a marriage therapist. That also would demonstrate a fine command of "critical thinking skills". She sound like a nag and a bully. This is simple put-downs insulting your intelligence. Don't change for her.

My wife is constantly telling me that I have no critical thinking skills. I can't make an argument, I can't make a plan, I can't execute a plan.

I agree and would want to know precisely in relation to what? For example my husband is very intelligent, very articulate and is not great at planning when it comes to our child's schedule/activities? Why? Because it's boring, because it requires him to be on a schedule too which he hates, because he then can't run late which is his bad habit that has improved but still exists. Nothing at all to do with intelligence or skills just motivation. And it's costly - including missed flights, arranging for backup care because he dropped the ball, etc. so I can see where someone who is frustrated might react with that kind of criticism but I don't think that kind of reaction is productive and it's just plain mean. And sure she can say "I don't feel cared for when you _____" but she needs to be specific about what she wishes you would improve at.

As far as "making an argument" -again - it might simply be your choice -you choose not to argue in a situation where she might choose to argue. Nothing at all to do with skills or intelligence.

Critical thinking is the ability to look at a topic / problem / idea from objective points of view... to take facts and data into account... and to come up with a point of view that is based on experience and research with data to back it up. For this you need patience and the desire to actually learn about a particular topic.

Critical thinking does come in handy when doing strategic planning, because you want to be able to have a point of view based on facts and research before making a decision.

Execution of a plan is the result of critical thinking and strategic planning... you need accountability, commitment and perseverance.

There are books that can help you with critical thinking skills, planning and execution, however the majority of your skills will come from just practicing.

Perhaps you can start practicing those skills by using some critical thinking when your wife tells you what she thinks is wrong with you.

LIM:

1. i'm pretty sure you can make an argument. You have one because you come up with your conclusions SOMEHOW. Maybe the problem is just more you don't know how to express what it is. Also, a very valid conclusion to "critical thinking" of your argument is: "i really don't care enough about it to go much deeper or spend more time on it." That's PERFECTLY valid.

2. i'm sure you can make and execute a plan. Who says a plan need 20 steps? Did you find a job? That took planning. Do you get to work every day? That ook planning. Did you go eat or to the bathroom today? That takes planning. Do you make any plans ahead of time that you execute like.. "i'm going to pay my bills this weekend?" That's planning. So you definitely DO IT because you actually have accomplished things durign the day. Just because it's not a plan that had 20 steps doesn't mean you didn't plan or execute on that plan.

Now what this is all about is... yoru wife is certainly expressing that she WISHES and would like for you to think bigger than you currently are. Make bigger plans. Have bigger aspirations in your work or career. Become interested in more things to get into outside of work, etc. This is what I think she really is hitting at. Tell me - what is your daily routine? What hobbies and interests do you have? What are some things that bring you absolute joy that you love to do?

Archived