Feeling emotional or depressed after drinking

I'm not an alcoholic by any means, but I do l like to go out on weekends and have drinks. I already have issues with anxiety and mild depression (currently on meds), but it seems that just lately I get extremely emotional or feel depressed for a few days after getting drunk. I way over-analyze things and just start crying for nothing. I feel like I'm pushing my boyfriend away with this. Does anyone else do this? I guess the only solution is to stop drinking for good :sad:

I would recommend stopping drinking. When it's not fun anymore, why keep it up??

I was a bit of a crazy kid and I started drinking at a fairly young age. I guess I partied myself out - I used to be able to drink like a fish and now, not so much. I guess I just got to a point in my life where I saw things for what they were and going to clubs and getting trashed with people who thoroughly enjoy getting trashed for the sake of being out of control made me realize what I didn't want in my life. I associated drinking with that and the last few times I've gone out to drink it was alright, but before that, when drinking was still very much a part of my social agenda I would get depressed and moody.

Find out whats wrong with your life because alcohol, while it makes you giddy and sociable, is ultimately an depressant and when you start feeling the effects you know somethings wrong.

It's very common. Your brain only has a certain amount of seratonin, and when you use it all up then you're going to be lacking in that department for awhile. The higher you go, the lower your potential to go later if you were so high based on substance intake.

I remember having to tell my girlfriend this all the time and reminder that, "It's ok honey bunny... You're fine. You're suppose to be a little depressed right now because you used up all your seratonin. Just ride it out, and you'll be fine in a few days." It always made her feel a little better to know that there was a light at the end of the darker tunnel.

I'm exactly the same after drinking, and I am neither an alcoholic, nor a depressive.

As others have pointed out, alcohol is a depressive. What you are experiencing is simply a hangover.

Hangovers do not begin and end with headaches and tiredness. Irritability and negative thinking are recognised signs of hangovers and just as much as likely to be present in the aftermath of drinking too much as a headache or a queasy stomach is.

Whenever I go out and have a few drinks, I always tell myself on my way home and the next day ''you're thinking irrationally, you're thinking irrationally''

I have never done anything stupid while drinking, actually, but because of the emotional side effects of hangovers I have thought, said, and done the most crazy, irrational things because I was thinking negatively.

Yeah, same here...I started partying at about 16. I'm 27 now and definitely done with the club scene, but still get together with friends for a game or go have drinks at a restaurant. I just thinks its strange how just suddenly I started feeling like this....maybe its an age thing, I dunno. I'm just going to stop or at least cut it down to a glass of wine or a beer or 2.

I'm not an alcoholic by any means, but I do l like to go out on weekends and have drinks. I already have issues with anxiety and mild depression (currently on meds), but it seems that just lately I get extremely emotional or feel depressed for a few days after getting drunk. I way over-analyze things and just start crying for nothing. I feel like I'm pushing my boyfriend away with this. Does anyone else do this? I guess the only solution is to stop drinking for good

Yep. Alcohol is a depressant. If this happens with a couple drinks, stop completely. If it only happens when you get faded, try having just a couple and see if that helps. If not, give it up for good.

I felt the same way about it and I finally quit. I started to feel a little better about myself since I stopped the drinking. If I do drink now it can't be a lot maybe 2 or 3 beers and thats it, don't let it consume you. A major thing is don't let your friends pressure you into getting bombed I stopped hanging out with my old friends because they were all alcoholics and drug addicts.

Archived