Tacky wedding invites

I've heard of a few but this one takes the cake. I knew these two people in high school but we really didn't hang around. I was a class friend (meaning we would study together in school but not hang outside of school) with the woman and knew the guy slightly. Anyway long story short they were friends in high school (didn't date), lost contact until the 15th reunion and married right before the 20th reunion last year. Here's the tacky part: I got an invitation to the wedding except the wedding was really a bar where they were stating "in lieu of a wedding gift, please donate $50 so we can have an open bar". I think they were going to serve finger foods as well but not sure.

Can anyone top that? Oh and I got an email "reminding" me of the wedding. I obviously didn't go and being invited was strange enough. I would have given $50 (or more) if I had gone but this left a strange taste. Why would they invite me who they haven't seen since high school?

I was invited to a 'reception' a while ago, which I passed on.

You had to buy tickets to attend the reception ($15/person). And it was also cash bar.

They were certainly looking to get their wedding paid for, or make money off their wedding.

I have a feeling they were trying to make money and figured a "wedding" was the place to do it. I didn't go, but several I know did and said it was a fun time to reunite with classmates. Ok I get that, but not a wedding to someone you haven't seen in 20 years (and were never really close to begin with).

I have a feeling they were trying to make money and figured a "wedding" was the place to do it. I didn't go, but several I know did and said it was a fun time to reunite with classmates. Ok I get that, but not a wedding to someone you haven't seen in 20 years (and were never really close to begin with).

My co-worker has a guest list of 250 people. Mainly her fiance's old aquaintances [guys he played baseball with one summer 5 years ago even!] She's dreading the bill for this thing, but his response is "You know we'll make money off of this..." I just find it so tacky to have a wedding because your goal is to get ahead financially. That didn't even cross my mind when planning mine.

My co-worker has a guest list of 250 people. Mainly her fiance's old aquaintances [guys he played baseball with one summer 5 years ago even!] She's dreading the bill for this thing, but his response is "You know we'll make money off of this..." I just find it so tacky to have a wedding because your goal is to get ahead financially. That didn't even cross my mind when planning mine.

That is very tacky, I agree. That's why when I get a wedding invitation from someone I either think "why are they inviting me" or "I am thrilled to go to this wedding". I know if I ever get married I am not inviting people I haven't kept in contact with (and this even includes Facebook friends I don't talk to). His comments about making money are off too because I've known some very cheap people at weddings. I've even heard of people not giving any money or a gift.

Archived