Just graduated university and kind of lost on what is next?

gianno

Just graduated university with a degree in psychology with a focus on mental health

Don't know what I want to do with my life ( I really wanted to do law school but haven't taken the lsat yet but I have the means for this career path)

My main goal right now though is finding a job preferably in my field but for now anything

I have large amount of loans to payback as well as pay for my rent and other expenses

Kind of worried how I will be able to afford to live

My job experience is limited to family run businesses, therefore limited number of viable references

I'm willing to work any job especially right now even two if I have too, but how do I market myself effectively?

How do I get employers to take a chance on me even though I have limited experience I have great work ethic and determination to learn anything

Any tips on my situation would be greatly appreciated.

From what I understand, you can't do much in psych without a PhD or an MD. You may want to

Consider grad school.

I have definitely thought about it, I have the GPA to do it, it mainly rests on finding some experience in labs or research now to cement a career move like that one. But what I am most concerned about right now is finding any job really and paying my bills before thinking about grad school or law school

Law school is great and all, but depending on your area, without much experience in the law field you won't be able to find a job in a law firm.

I have a few friends, who graduated from well known law schools in my area and couldn't find any other jobs, but as public defenders, which the starting salary in my state for is around 40k.

I have a friend, who graduated in the same field as you and she found a job with the sheriff's office in our area as a child protection investigator. She eventually moved on to be a counselor at a crisis center. She is going to online school for her masters.

I am sure you'll be able to find a job in your field just don't be too picky. Just make sure to branch out to other areas within psychology when job searching and you'll be okay. The salary probably won't be anything lucrative, but you'll probably have enough to afford your living expenses until you find something better.

Are we talking just a BA/BS in Psychology? Cuz I gotta be real... if so, no one cares what your "focus" was.

As others have suggested, unless you're going for a MSW, you're pretty much locked into getting a PhD.

As an immediate suggestion, a lot of children's homes and rehabilitation centers would be very happy to have a psych grad at the very least for entry level positions. That could also get your foot in the door to have some opportunities should you want to get certifications for counseling or go back to school altogether.

As an immediate suggestion, a lot of children's homes and rehabilitation centers would be very happy to have a psych grad at the very least for entry level positions. That could also get your foot in the door to have some opportunities should you want to get certifications for counseling or go back to school altogether.

^^Yes! great point! Def look into those OP.

Law school is great and all, but depending on your area, without much experience in the law field you won't be able to find a job in a law firm.

I have a few friends, who graduated from well known law schools in my area and couldn't find any other jobs, but as public defenders, which the starting salary in my state for is around 40k.

I have a friend, who graduated in the same field as you and she found a job with the sheriff's office in our area as a child protection investigator. She eventually moved on to be a counselor at a crisis center. She is going to online school for her masters.

I am sure you'll be able to find a job in your field just don't be too picky. Just make sure to branch out to other areas within psychology when job searching and you'll be okay. The salary probably won't be anything lucrative, but you'll probably have enough to afford your living expenses until you find something better.

I'm in Canada so law school might be a little different but here an average lawyer makes around 80k. It's because we have very few law schools and are admission rates are lower. Thank you for suggestions and the example of the friend you provided I'll look into it strongly

Are we talking just a BA/BS in Psychology? Cuz I gotta be real... if so, no one cares what your "focus" was.

As others have suggested, unless you're going for a MSW, you're pretty much locked into getting a PhD.

Yes BS in psychology. I'll definitely check those out, I had the idea of rehabs centre in the back of my mind when I was posting. Thank you for the great ideas!

Yes BS in psychology. I'll definitely check those out, I had the idea of rehabs centre in the back of my mind when I was posting. Thank you for the great ideas!
No prob. I worked about three years as a treatment aide at a drug / psych rehab facility for teenagers. No psychology background personally, and the psych students / grads were in the same position I was, but they definitely had a closer relationship with the counselors than I ever did... at least on a professional level. To this day, despite the fact I make a **** ton more doing the work I do now, it was probably the most fulfilling work I ever did, even if the most emotionally exhausting as well.

If you can get a job as a lawyer, quite a number of them are well paid. My understanding is, though, that firms tend to look for the top performers in the class ... not just anyone who graduates.

Lawyers (in the United States) earned a median of $115,820 per year in 2015, according to the BLS. (Median is the wage at which half of the workers in the occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. Median wage data are from the BLS Occupational Employment Statistics survey.)

Lawyers earned an average annual salary of $133,470 in 2014,

OP, start somewhere, anywhere. Notice what environments you enjoy: working as a team? Working in a solitary environment? Having a predictable day? Always working on something new?

One of my best friends graduated top of her class. Then took TWO YEARS off, waited tables and got trained how to tend bar. Now, she is at the top of her field, producing things we see on TV.

My point is, you are psyching yourself out by focusing on how long it takes, or how many end up on a different path.

I guarantee you, it takes even longer when you wait around looking for something that is easy. In fact, that can take a lifetime.

^ but most my lawyer friends are spending 6-12 months finding a job and then they end up being paralegals or doing jobs for the court.

Those figures are once you're actually an attorney

Are you guys in the USA? Because in Canada if your a lawyer you are like a shoe in for a good paying job

OP, start somewhere, anywhere. Notice what environments you enjoy: working as a team? Working in a solitary environment? Having a predictable day? Always working on something new?

One of my best friends graduated top of her class. Then took TWO YEARS off, waited tables and got trained how to tend bar. Now, she is at the top of her field, producing things we see on TV.

My point is, you are psyching yourself out by focusing on how long it takes, or how many end up on a different path.

I guarantee you, it takes even longer when you wait around looking for something that is easy. In fact, that can take a lifetime.

See that's the thing I don't have my mind set on anything, I just want to get started. Already sent out some resumes and cover letters for jobs already. I just need to dive in somewhere and see but I need that opportunity.

Just graduated university with a degree in psychology with a focus on mental health

Don't know what I want to do with my life ( I really wanted to do law school but haven't taken the lsat yet but I have the means for this career path)

My main goal right now though is finding a job preferably in my field but for now anything

I have large amount of loans to payback as well as pay for my rent and other expenses

Kind of worried how I will be able to afford to live

My job experience is limited to family run businesses, therefore limited number of viable references

I'm willing to work any job especially right now even two if I have too, but how do I market myself effectively?

How do I get employers to take a chance on me even though I have limited experience I have great work ethic and determination to learn anything

Any tips on my situation would be greatly appreciated.

I've been where you are. Only now am I studying postgrad in Psychology after years of working multiple jobs in all kinds of fields.

One route you may want to consider is research assistant jobs (if you are UK based, I can private message you some good websites). Jobs in research tend to be temporary, well-paid positions, working on a funded project. This looks good on your CV. In Psychology it looks good to keep in the loop with universities.

I've been where you are. Only now am I studying postgrad in Psychology after years of working multiple jobs in all kinds of fields.

One route you may want to consider is research assistant jobs (if you are UK based, I can private message you some good websites). Jobs in research tend to be temporary, well-paid positions, working on a funded project. This looks good on your CV. In Psychology it looks good to keep in the loop with universities.

I applied to a couple research based positions and talked to the people there, they say they love me as an applicant in all categories expect I don't have much experience. So I need to gain that someway while earning enough to cover my expenses.

As your 'anything' job for income while you search in your field, consider applying at a number of temp agencies. I started with one closest to home, and I scheduled appointments x3 mornings per week with other agencies, working my radius outward. The do NOT all work with the same firms.

Sending them resumes and expecting calls for any given position is a waste of time, ask for an interview appointment to get on their 'active' roster.

Position doesn't matter, firm does. Grab any assignment inside companies that interest you, as that will give you access to their unpublished jobs for which you may apply from within.

This is how most companies are hiring these days. Temps are a 'try before you buy' scenario for them. Focus is less on how the temps perform a certain role, because that can be changed, but rather whether they're a good 'fit' with the firm in terms of soft skills, reliability, willingness to learn, etc.

Pay is usually better than retail, and your exposure to lots of people can help you to network into your field.

Congrats on your graduation!

^ but most my lawyer friends are spending 6-12 months finding a job and then they end up being paralegals or doing jobs for the court.

Those figures are once you're actually an attorney

Yes, I clearly identified that the figures are for when you are an attorney. I guess I'm a little confused as to why one would make that distinction.

Anyway, I was (generally) responding to gianno's comment about how Canadian attorneys make, on average, $80K.

Also, I do want to emphasize that it's a very competitive degree. My friends (3) who went on to high paying jobs graduated near the top of their graduating class.

Yes, I clearly identified that the figures are for when you are an attorney. I guess I'm a little confused as to why one would make that distinction.

Anyway, I was (generally) responding to gianno's comment about how Canadian attorneys make, on average, $80K.

Also, I do want to emphasize that it's a very competitive degree. My friends (3) who went on to high paying jobs graduated near the top of their graduating class.

Yes, it was clear you were speaking about attorney salaries - I was just clarifying that, in the US, a law degree does not automatically get you a position as an attorney and those salaries are not a given.

As your 'anything' job for income while you search in your field, consider applying at a number of temp agencies. I started with one closest to home, and I scheduled appointments x3 mornings per week with other agencies, working my radius outward. The do NOT all work with the same firms.

Sending them resumes and expecting calls for any given position is a waste of time, ask for an interview appointment to get on their 'active' roster.

Position doesn't matter, firm does. Grab any assignment inside companies that interest you, as that will give you access to their unpublished jobs for which you may apply from within.

This is how most companies are hiring these days. Temps are a 'try before you buy' scenario for them. Focus is less on how the temps perform a certain role, because that can be changed, but rather whether they're a good 'fit' with the firm in terms of soft skills, reliability, willingness to learn, etc.

Pay is usually better than retail, and your exposure to lots of people can help you to network into your field.

Congrats on your graduation!

I'm gonna go to two temp agency appointments tomorrow and see how that goes! My question is can you walk me through this interview appointment I don't really understand how to do that or what it is?

Yes, it was clear you were speaking about attorney salaries - I was just clarifying that, in the US, a law degree does not automatically get you a position as an attorney and those salaries are not a given.

Yup it's very competitive in the US. In Canada, the competition is mostly based off just getting in to law school. Since we accept less than 5 percent of applicants and the US on average even the best schools such as Harvard accept around 10. In sum, in the US the field of law is flooded with lawyers and Canada we need more.

I'm gonna go to two temp agency appointments tomorrow and see how that goes! My question is can you walk me through this interview appointment I don't really understand how to do that or what it is?

Sorry I missed this and may be too late. I wouldn't schedule 2 appointments same day unless they are very far apart. Appointments involve filling out a large amount of paper work, as you are essentially applying for a job that involves payroll. The there's computer application testing on any app you claim to be able to perform. Don't stress about these. If you do poorly, most agencies will allow you to run their tutorials and retest at your convenience to improve your scores. Then there the interview to find out what roles and firms would be most suitable for you.

After each appointment I rewarded myself with a good coffee or sandwich or a walk in the park. I scheduled one appointment per day, x3 per week, starting with those closest to me and working my way outward to other counties.

No investment in any appointment is a waste. I accidentally applied to a 'creative' firm without realizing that this was a descriptive term for a line of work outside my IT capabilities. They were an hour away, and were kind about explaining that they weren't clear how they could market my skills. However, they still spent a lot of time with me, and I couldn't understand why they didn't just tell me to go. Within a month, they turned out to be the firm that placed me with a firm about 10 minutes from my home, in an art department that was starting to bring their work in house rather than outsource it. I started as a clerk, but would later negotiate a senior role in their image database build in exchange for junioring in Photoshop and InDesign to learn masking, retouching and page layout for their advertising. Still there 10 years later and love my work.

Point is, you never know who you'll meet or what it will lead to.

Best of luck, and I hope you'll let us know how it goes.

Archived