No appetite, but feel like there's a giant, empty hole in my stomach - What's this all about

I'm sitting here struggling to finish a banana!!! Even a gentle and easy to digest food like this is making me feel ill. I am under a decent amount of stress due to a chronic health problem, being unemployed, broke and just got out of a relationship. I'm also living back at home with my mother after many years on my own/in a relationshiip, and it is so depressing.

I always feel hungry, but when I try to eat something I feel ill. My stomach feels hollow and empty, even when I do eat something. Does anyone know what this feeling is all about? Has anyone ever experienced this type of appetite loss?

how much time ago did the appetite problems start?

it could be that you just haven't eaten enough in quite a while and your stomach just isn't used to digesting food.

you should probably talk to a nutritionist (family doctor maybe?) who could tell you what kinds of food go easy on the stomech and just eat very small doses throughout the day until your system gets readjusted. (i am positive there are people here with more specific information)

how much time ago did the appetite problems start?

it could be that you just haven't eaten enough in quite a while and your stomach just isn't used to digesting food.

you should probably talk to a nutritionist (family doctor maybe?) who could tell you what kinds of food go easy on the stomech and just eat very small doses throughout the day until your system gets readjusted. (i am positive there are people here with more specific information)

Thanks for your reply. I started losing my appetite about 3 years ago, actually, but it has fluctuated during that time. Sometimes I have a stronger appetite, but recently I am back to feeling very "blah" about eating. I'm almost forcing myself to eat at this point. I do eat small portions throughout the day, but alas, this has not helped improve my appetite.

I think I can trace it all back to when many problems started occurring in my life, and things have not improved that much in the past few years so I've never really regained much of my appetite.

when I am going through emotional things, I can't eat even when I am hungry. Like you I can be attacked by severe hunger and order/prepare some food and then after 2 bites I am totally full and can't eat anything else. Since I really hate throwing up, I just stop eating rather than forcing myself to a few more bites and then having to run to the bathroom.

The only solution is to eat lots of small portions throughout the day. I also tend to do better when I eat mainly protein, and cut down a lot on carbs and heavy/fatty/ greasy foods.

when I am going through emotional things, I can't eat even when I am hungry. Like you I can be attacked by severe hunger and order/prepare some food and then after 2 bites I am totally full and can't eat anything else. Since I really hate throwing up, I just stop eating rather than forcing myself to a few more bites and then having to run to the bathroom.

The only solution is to eat lots of small portions throughout the day. I also tend to do better when I eat mainly protein, and cut down a lot on carbs and heavy/fatty/ greasy foods.

I am exactly the same when it comes to food as you. Same symptoms, same hatred of puking, same best case diet including frequency.

Oh that's terrible. I think maybe this is an emotional thing for me as well. Since I started having many stressful things happen (and all at once), I have lost so much of my appetite. I'm naturally very slender, but losing my appetite recently is not good, because I don't want to start looking unhealthy. Especially I think my face is getting too thin.

I used to drink Ensure supplement shakes every day to maintain my weight, but I don't want to rely on liquid calories to keep myself fully nourished.

Archived