Disappointing Birthday

So I had a birthday recently, and overall everything was just disappointment after disappointment. When I woke up, there was no fancy breakfast like we usually do (for literally any other event). I just got to make myself scrambled eggs. We opened presents, but my parents only got me the pair of earbuds and hairbrush that I picked off Amazon. My sibling got me a new mouse that I told them I needed the day before. It felt like no thought was put into picking something out that I would really like. I just got exactly what I told them.

My parents didn't let me leave the house all day. They had me stay inside, stuck on my computer studying for a test. No one took me out to get lunch like we do for other birthdays.

We usually go out to(within reason) fancy restaurant for dinners. I told my mom where I wanted to go and she said no, we were going to a different place that we had a coupon for. I didn't even get to order what I wanted because I had to use the coupon on my meal.

I usually make my family really nice, fancy desserts. I've made plenty of cheesecakes, and spent hours decorating German chocolate cakes so that they are perfect. (All from scratch btw) I didn't think it was right to have to make my own birthday cake, so I told my mom what I wanted and she promised to make it for me. She ended up using a box mix, and canned frosting. My dad wouldn't let her use most of the frosting because he dosent like it and thinks the cake part is better, even though all I asked of the cake was that it had a normal amount of frosting on it.

We watched my parents favorite TV show that night. (Which happens to be my absolute least favorite one) , and when I asked if I could pick becuase, you know, my birthday, I got a snotty remark about how I don't get to pick everything the way I like it.

None of my friends texted me to say happy birthday. Despite the fact that one of them had a birthday 3 days before mine, and I delivered a gift to her house along with texting her as soon as I woke up. I still haven't heard anything from any of them.

I know birthdays aren't that big of a deal for most households, and I'm probably being selfish, but this is typically my one day where I get to feel special and have things the way I like them. I feel really let down by everyone on a day that should have been mine. Is it okay to want the same amount of effort put into your events as you put into others?

I also feel it's important to add that everything I talked about are things that we do for my siblings and parents on their birthdays. I didn't mention anything that would be out of the ordinary to have happen on a birthday in my house. Just the breakfast, gifts, lunch, (short) family outing, dinner, and cake.

Archived