I just found out about a week ago that a friend of mine has been using pot for some time. I am trying to understand where he is coming from (he is 20 by the way) with wanting to pot smoke almost every other day and I am hoping that someone can enlighten me. I just have some questions for those who are avid pot smokers. Why did you start smoking? What keeps you from quitting or kept you from quitting? and if you did quit what made you quit? I do know that there is nothing that I can do to make him quit smoking pot but that is it something he has to do on his own, I really just want to understand why he is doing it and let him know that I am still there for him. If anyone has any advice on what I could say to him without pissing him off I would really appreciate it. I just want him to know that he can come to me and I will still be there for him and that it does not effect our friendship but at the same time I don't want to be around it. I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for the replies.

My advice would be to just tell him that you don't want to be around it. Don't make a huge deal about it, you might scare him. I am an avid pot smoker myself and proud of it! But everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I give you props for standing up for what you believe. However, I think it would be pretty unreasonable for you to ask him to stop, or pester him with questions about why he does it and why won't he quit. While it is technically a drug, keep in mind that there are a whole lot of drugs out there that are much worse. Count your blessings and thank god he isn't hooked on something that could kill him! I don't know if this was much help, but good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm probably going to step on some toes with what I'm about to say, but here goes. Let me start off by saying that I used to smoke pot, but that I haven't for about 5 years or so.

Marijuana is not so much unlike drinking alcohol. I would actually consider alcohol to be worse - there are less fights, accidents, illnesses, and deaths as a result of smoking a joint. The difference between the two is that pot is illegal and not taxed by the government, so of course, we're raised to think it's the devil's plant. Continued alcohol consumption can ruin your liver, kill millions of brain cells, cause serious damage to your heart and other vital organs. It is also much more dangerous when you combine it with anger, driving, depression, etc.

I smoked pot to mellow me out. I used to have some problems with anxiety (not severe, but uncomfortable). I would have difficulty concentrating and find myself worrying constantly. A few tokes usually helped to balance that out. Pot doesn't have the same affect on everyone though. Some people get horribly paranoid and totally hate the buzz.

You can't ask your friend to stop, I really don't think you have that right. It is his body, his money, and of couse, his life. He doesn't do it to hurt or disrespect you. At the same time, you do have the right to ask that he doesn't do it around you.

I quit smoking dope because it was making me too lazy and unable to have enough energy to get things done that I needed to. I have nothing against people who smoke the occasional joint, nor do I think that it is any worse than having a beer or a drink. Don't believe everything that the government tells you about pot. They don't tell you how damaging alcohol and cigarettes are of couse, because they still make millions off the taxes from them.

I really think your getting a bit too concerned about this, i mean if it was something serious like cocaine then i would totally understand where your coming from, the reality is as others have said weed is far less dangerous than alcohol and most people have smoked it at some point.

Mary jane is not addictive, it is a very mild drug and you cannot overdose on it.

Answering your questions,

I started smoking weed when i was much younger and like most kids i was just interested in what getting high was like.

Nothing keeps me from quitting i could and have stopped smoking pot for months before,

its just a fun way to look at life in a different perspective and enjoy things like music on a deeper level.

I hope this has helped you understand more about this drug, i suggest that you try smoking it to understand more about it,

you wont get addicted and you probably wont be so worried about what your boyfriend is doing after you have seen how harmless it really is.

I don't think you can successfully ask somone to stop smoking pot. I smoke for years. I also sold the stuff, so I always had stash. I started because I had nothing to do one night. I quit for three reasons..one I had a lot of enemies and I can't defend myself when I was high. Two I was waking up and going to work and I was still high. Three I was under investagation by the police for dealing drugs and a couple of other things.

Let your friend do what he has to do. One of my friends started smoking pot at 14...I gave him his first hit...he is 30 now and still smokes his pot like some of us smoke cigarettes.

DBL