Just needing to share

The saddest, saddest thing, when you experience mental health problems, is that people never, ever, speak to you the same way.

People never look at you the same way.

I confess here and now I have become a runner. When I've had an episode, I split and run.

I start again, because you cannot imagine what a relief it is to suddenly be surrounded by people who speak normally to you.

It's not a solution, in fact it's probably part of the problem. But just wanted to throw it out there and let people know.

Being talked to like a normal human being. There's nothing like it.

Thanks for listening.

Yes unfortunately that's the world we live in. The stigma is there. I just disclose that with real close family and friends. Unfortunately just casual acquaintances don't have a real loyalty to you, or are they required to, so they will treat you differently. Thank you for sharing, and just so you are know you are not alone. PsychCentral is also a great community for that too, you may want to check it out.

I learned the hard way not to disclose my mental health to random people. I remember years ago this girl wanted us to work out together at the gym and motivate each other be a buddy system. I made the mistake of telling her about my mental health. She fled out the door!

You want the person to get to know you better before adding in your mental health issues. That way they can separate them.

Lisa

I confess here and now I have become a runner. When I've had an episode, I split and run.

This isn't against the law, I'm just guessing that it could get awfully exhausting to keep finding new friends.

What, exactly, do your episodes involve? There's a huge difference between going emotional versus going violent. After something emotional, you may impose the kind of shame on yourself that 'decides' that others will 'always' view you differently, even while they may just need some time and patience before relaxing into your return to someone they can deal with easily again.

On the other hand, if you've been violent, then you're right, nobody wants to put their own personal safety in jeopardy in order to deal with someone else.

So can you clarify?

Archived