Creative hobbies for what I think my personality type is

Silentlyfor

So I've been toiling lately with how to spend my time now that I'm not worried about finding a job. Since I like being creative, I've decided to dive deep into what I can do with my time to express myself. This is a period of my life, particularly since 2016, that I've been absorbing literature across a huge breadth of subject matter. Given my interests, a lot of reading is theoretical, literary, historical and biographical. These topics include but are very likely not limited to social systems, narratology, story structure, writing, writing style, the history of literature, social life on the internet, storytelling theory, internet marketing (briefly during an internship), literary theory and likely more I haven't mentioned. Much of what I've been reading I'm hoping to contribute to what I call a personal guide, or two or many, that will help me in the writing, recording and brainstorming recordable or writeable projects for blogging, Youtube or podcast projects for the last few years.

But I feel I can get out of such time expenditure by stepping out of my comfort zone. My worry is I spend too much time trying to do too much at once-or too much overall-and I end up wasting more time and, as is the predicted end result, not getting anything done and, yet again, finding myself burnt out before I complete any projects whatsoever. It seems the only project that I've got going that has endured (finally) are these guides I want to write for myself. While I feel some pride in being able to keep up the energy to get at least ONE of my projects going, I feel this could be more energy wasted because I don't have focus, the drive or the discipline to keep going. And, whether it's because any given project bores me, I like relaxing too much or I feel the project isn't emotionally satisfying anymore, that I give up on what I was working on. Pity, because I have a lot of great ideas but lack the solid work ethic to follow through and make them a reality. Aside from these guides (which I'm hoping to rely on to help keep me on track for future creative projects) I've pretty much given up on all other projects I've worked on.

So I invested some time trying to investigate when this ennui started and why I might not be giving it my all. I asked myself the question "what makes me tick, what energizes me and how can I feel personally fulfilled and satisfied by the end of each day?". I've started investigating personality theory and thought Myer-Briggs Jungian-based personality theory might have an answer (though, honestly, I feel I can stand to be corrected). After reading Creative You: Using Your Personality Type to Thrive[/i] by Otto Kroeger and David B. Goldstein, I feel there is a chance I might have limited myself or I could be wasting energy and time. I'm still suspicious of the solidity of personality theory, though, as an INTP, according to various tests, I exhibit behaviors of other types as well. Here's a breakdown on my personality:

- I'm certainly more introverted than extroverted (though in certain circumstances I'm extra-ordinarily extroverted like when I'm at the gaming table or at work). While my personality had changed from being silent a majority of the time in my mid-20's, being more inclined to write my thoughts and feelings and connect with people through the internet rather than, ya know, go outside, I've been more verbally expressive and outgoing as time went on as I found I could find energy to get out and talk to people. Certainly, I prefer being on my own, feeling more at home typing or writing out my thoughts and feelings, but I've become more sociable as time went on and, in fact, my job requires I talk to people on a regular basis. Of course, while I'm at work, I don't feel inclined to connect, let alone talk to, my co-workers, preferring to spare my energy to do a great job. This is especially true given I want that energy to work on my writing, research, recordings and skill development for the three. Sometimes, though, I feel I don't have the energy and I need something outside of my own head, my own little world, to give me some energy. While I'm VERY on the introverted side of things, there are times I need to talk to someone or interact with someone to rejuvinate myself so I can get back on track. It's an odd balance that I have yet to sort out.

- I use my intuition to the nth degree although I actively to sense to add material to my work, as my observations of other people help develop the characters I write about in free-writing exercises and character profiles for various works of fiction I hope unfolds sometime in the future. Being more into the "grand scope of things" it's easy to forget particularities and details matter and sometimes I need to remind myself that people are not sums of parts but, ya know, people with past experiences that made them who they are. Fashion choices, focuses, hobbies and interests come from somewhere and, a person like me, forgets that rather easily from time to time. That said, I enjoy the taste of food, the wind in my hair, a hug and a smile from somebody else like anyone else. I try to participate in both as equally as I can muster to the energy to, but I'm more of an idea developer and a theorist than a guy who takes things in a thought process of perpetual and emotional deduction.

- I'm certainly more of a thinker than a feeler which I think might be the source of a lot of my unfocus. I usually avoid things I can't breakdown intellectually and get frustrated in social situations where I feel forced to confront the situation emotionally (though I'm better than I was when I was younger when I would either internalize what I felt in silence or, on the other end of it, lash out unjustifiably). Creativity, really giving you life and blood and time and sweat and tears into something, does require a deep emotional investment as well which I know I'm capable of when I'm alone, watching something that truly touches me (eg. Doom Patrol got a few tears out of me for example) or sharing and emotional moment with someone, or a group, that I'm close to. This somewhat links to my natural inclination towards introvertedness and my penchant for studying storytelling and trying to see the "big picture" rather the minuteness of everything around me. Needless to say, involvement socially gets the words aloof and insensitive thrown around a lot when people talk about me.

- Lastly, talking about perceiving and judging. I don't really take note of this as much as I should but I feel I'm more even- 45/55, judging/perceiving - than I am a firmly one way or the other. I do make rules for myself, especially as I've been getting older and I'm just as inclined to organize my emails by carefully named folders, organize my work into strict categories and make to-do lists ... all of which are activities I find enjoyable. But when I take a look at the big picture, I'm certainly more of a perceiver when it comes to making major decisions life decisions, deciding what I want to do with my day or even saying "no" when I've planned to do some writing, guidebook research or work on a podcast recording. A lot of my time, instead of clinging to a work ethic and putting duty ahead of joy, I choose joy. Instead of telling myself "I need to do this for me and the future" I shove aside due diligence and play Monster Hunter Worlds for a couple of hours. I get reckless with my time too often and the perceiving side, the one that likes fun, pleasure, excitement and "living it up" takes over and the judging side falls flat. This is hilarious to me considering I'm willing to put a full, resounding and devoted effort when my bosses at whatever job I'm working tell me to do my job ... and, this worked while I was younger ... but now, in my mid-30's, when I want to take my own direction in life and have my power in my own hands, I want my voice to get out there and I want to be heard and I want my thoughts to be read ... and I feel I'm getting in my own way when I try.

Again, Myer-Briggs is more of a start of figuring out how I develop a better creative version of myself but, by no means, is the end-all-be-all of how I can figure this out. I'm not sure where to go from here. It would be nice to get some feedback from others who've struggled to find themselves creatively and needed some guidance, ideas or help. If anyone has any thoughts on everything I've shared, some advice, a good book or five or a hundred I should read, that would be spectacular.

Thanks in advance, you all.

Why not go back to college and pursue some courses or a degree in whatever interests you? Online, in person, whatever. Whatever that is, literature, creative writing, science, art, etc. You can never be too educated, simulated or enriched. It may give you the drive and direction you're seeking. Also look for local college adult education classes/courses or clubs/groups book club, for example, etc. that could interest you. Self help books are fine, but doing and pursuing what interests you could be more satisfying.

You sound very much like an INTP. I'm one myself and could have written the above, although I'm not currently exploring topics in literature, I absolutely would if I had the time and weren't involved in other projects.

I agree with Wiseman2 that pursuing something structured, that would require some level of commitment and accountability might go a long way. I think us INTPs could just read and move from project to project, idea to idea, for a lifetime. That's how I've spent the last 10 years, but then it doesn't lead to any larger, longer-term accomplishments/projects.

Forget about personality type and go with what you feel drawn to, what have you always wanted to learn? There must be something? learning to paint/doing stained glass or pottery, getting started in a sport, horseback riding, tinkering with small engines or volunteering to help a school robotics team - there must be SOMETHING out there that you heard about and said "hmm...that would be fascinating." and go to an intro class or go to a competition where people who do it compete (art show, ballroom dancing event, volleyball tournament - whatever) to see if it interests you more and talk to people an ask what to do to start out

Archived