Boyfriend won't keep his promises to me anymore, does he even care?

manderslynn

My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years now, 4 in June. We use to have a bad addiction to drugs and alcohol and I decided I didn't need that stuff in my life anymore. I had a very bad addiction to alcohol and I'm only 17 to be honest. My friends are starting to get into that stuff and I just can't be by them when it's happening so I don't really hangout with them that much anymore because of that. He told me he would stop for good and I believed him but, then he'll go back on his promises and mess up. I have to be the one that is suffering and always down about it. I've tried talking to him about it but, it just really goes in one ear and out the other, it never gets through to him. It never will it seems like, I don't know what to do anymore, a 17 year old girl shouldn't be going through this.

Hi Manders, you're right a 17 year old should not be going through this. At all, not least alone.

People who work with addicts have found that people who are addicts and are in a relationship with an addict are less likely to kick it. So unfortunately, if you are serious about staying clean the best thing you can do it get completely away from people living like that - including your bf.

Sadly, he is an addict. And while he may mean what he says to you when he says it, his addiction is stronger than his resolve - the drugs have more of a hold on him than you do.

Get the necessary help for dealing with your addictions, and I wish you all the best.

Well honestly your boyfriend is probably addicted to that stuff, so he won't change. It can be hard to kick those kind of habits, you have to really want it to end and get help sometimes. I'm happy that you realized that wasn't the life for you. What I suggest is you break up with your boyfriend( I know it will hurt), and go no contact. It will hurt at first, but it will get better, trust me.

Archived