I'm screwing up School and thus, I fear, my future.

AlexWalker

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not stupid.

I can handle my school work, and I don't need a tutor, I just... cannot get myself to do the work? I am dyslexic but my school took away my IEP (Independent Education Plan) which allowed me extra time on tests and access to resources the regular student doesn't have. I feel like I get the work, then I kind of leave it for the night before, then keep waiting? then it's late then because of the leniency of the IB (a type of schooling stands for "International Bachelorette) classroom, I can turn anything in late and receive just a letter grade markdown, and so I leave everything to the last week. I can't do that in college. I feel like I have chronic procrastination. I know what I need to do, I know who to talk to to get it down, but then I don't. I feel like I kick in the ass won't do anything. I'm not unmotivated, I'm not uneducated, I don't think I'm overwhelmed, all I'm sure of is that I need help, I don't think there's too much you guys can help me do, but I seriously don't know where to turn IRL (In real life). I would get a tutor if they would just help me stay on task, or just start said task. is there some program I don't know about where I can go in and get help? I seriously think I need to sit down with someone once a week and have them help me do my work. Thoughts, Questions, Advice would all be greatly appreciated and reciprocated in a timely matter.

A tutor may help you stay motivated, focused and disciplined. Also a few sessions with a therapist may help identify the procrastination. Get a checkup to evaluate any underlying cause for these issues.

Most people dread tasks they dislike but find the motivation to get it done. This is an important skill. And procrastination is a habit to unlearn asap as it makes life more difficult, stressful and expensive. It also creates interpersonal difficulties at home and on the job.

A tutor may help you stay motivated, focused and disciplined. Also a few sessions with a therapist may help identify the procrastination.

I agree with this. Whether you opt to use a tutor or the mental health services your tuition covers on campus, the goal would be to report to someone regularly, which will keep you accountable in between your assignments. I've always found doing so to be helpful, even if this means scheduling reporting times to a friend or family member.

I also have found setting up 'rewards' to be helpful. So maybe I can't play my games or go out with friends until I complete 'x' portion of my assignment that day.

You already know that procrastination is sabotage, so set up an accountability system and reward yourself for every leg of an assignment. You'll likely find that using this method to 'start' your work enables you to complete more of it than intended because once you open the books, it's not so difficult to stay with them.

Life long procrastinator here and all I can tell you is that deadlines with real consequences are a huge motivator and there is something thrilling about pulling it off last minute. In all honesty, I can't even focus or be remotely productive without a hard deadline staring me in the face. The problem that you have is simply too much leniency in your life and no hard deadlines and no consequences and as you can see, it's not working for you and just leaves you unmotivated. My advice is get out of the "special" programs and start facing real consequences and you are likely to find your motivation again. Btw, taking a grade lower isn't a consequence. Failing out of the class or school entirely is. To be motivated, you need some fire in your life so to speak.

Life long procrastinator here and all I can tell you is that deadlines with real consequences are a huge motivator and there is something thrilling about pulling it off last minute. In all honesty, I can't even focus or be remotely productive without a hard deadline staring me in the face. The problem that you have is simply too much leniency in your life and no hard deadlines and no consequences and as you can see, it's not working for you and just leaves you unmotivated. My advice is get out of the "special" programs and start facing real consequences and you are likely to find your motivation again. Btw, taking a grade lower isn't a consequence. Failing out of the class or school entirely is. To be motivated, you need some fire in your life so to speak.

Lol, so I posted on another website as well, because I couldn't get this one to work at the time, but I've learned a lot from both, and I just want to say that your's is probably the most, unorthodox, I kind of value that, I mean I'm probobly going to try to root the problem out as a whole just to make life easier, but you're right, projects with hard deadlines I'll finish even if it means staying up all night, because I know that that's what's best for me in the long term. but from what I gathered hear, and from what I gathered from dearwendy.com/topic/stuck-with-school-and-thus-my-future/ I think its best I work it out.

Hi- I think getting a tutor is a good idea so someone will check on you to prevent you from procrastination. My son is in senior high and sometimes he also procrastinates. I always remind him to do his work little by little so it won't be hard to meet the deadline.

I pray things will get better for you. Please keep us posted, God bless.

Archived