Tryptophan, depression and lactose intolerance

sidehop

I was doing some reading on tryptophan, essential amino acids solely responsible for converting the substance into serotonin found in many foods including many poultry/protein food as well as my favorite, bananas.

The interesting read is that people that have disorders such as fructose malabsorption and lactose intolerance have difficulty converting these tryptophan into serotonin that may play a role in depression. Added to that, only tryptophan can be converted to seratonin. There's a common misconception that anti-depressants help to create seratonin but it only 'pools' the serotonin between the neurons for a better mood.

I noticed with bananas my mood is much better even on gloomy days. Of course being lactose intolerant just about any cow-based dairy has to be avoided but trying to see if increasing these food below may aid in not only healthier eating but also help with elevating the mood. I don't have depression but it does help with uplifted mood as well as increased energy and better focus throughout the day.

Here are the foods with high Tryptophan. Again, if you're avoiding any dairy or gluten it may limit your choice but there are plenty of food that may help in aiding with your mood and more

banana, beef, caribou, cheese, cheddar cheese Parmesan, chicken, cod atlantic, dried egg, egg white, lamb chop, milk, perch Atlantic, pork chop, potatoes, russet rice, white salmon, sesame seed, soybeans, raw spirulina, dried sunflower seed, turkey, wheat flour white

My wife and I started to cut gluten as well, it seems to really make a difference the way we feel, unlike regular bread and anything with gluten in it, the stomach feels much lighter as if it's working less to digest.

I know these effects are often combination of living towards a healthier lifestyle but seems to really aid in just feeling great overall.

Here are the foods with high Tryptophan. Again, if you're avoiding any dairy or gluten it may limit your choice but there are plenty of food that may help in aiding with your mood and more

banana, beef, caribou, cheese, cheddar cheese Parmesan, chicken, cod atlantic, dried egg, egg white, lamb chop, milk, perch Atlantic, pork chop, potatoes, russet rice, white salmon, sesame seed, soybeans, raw spirulina, dried sunflower seed, turkey, wheat flour white

They left one out: chocolate. That's why we crave it when we're upset or depressed. Chocolate also contains theobromine which also has a mood-elevating effect.

Bananas are also high in potassium--and there is a correlation (which of course doesn't equal causation) between low potassium levels and anxiety, irritability, anger, and depression.

Archived