Life Insurance and suicide

theremedy

Does anyone know about life insurance and suicide?

If one were to remove ones self from the planet and it was obviously intentional, would the life insurance policy pay the persons family? Or would it need to appear to have been an accident for the policy to pay?

Thanks for any info anyone knows of.

My guess is "no".

Why? Because if someone knew they were going to kill themselves and went out and purchased life insurance, they'd be intentionally using their life insurance for gain and thereforeeee, anyone wanting to kill themselves, could work the system.

Does anyone know about life insurance and suicide?

If one were to remove ones self from the planet and it was obviously intentional, would the life insurance policy pay the persons family? Or would it need to appear to have been an accident for the policy to pay?

Thanks for any info anyone knows of.

Life insurance carries a 2 yr suicide clause. After that they should pay out.

How long have you had the policy?

Exactly. That's what it depends on. You'll have to read the fine print on your policy first but normally if you've had it for at least 2 years, they will pay out. (Note that you can't have made changes to the policy in that time frame either.)

My father died of an accidental drug overdose and had recently increased the coverage on his policy. They claimed it was a suicide and refused to pay out. My mom spent the next 11 years in legal proceedings until we finally settled.

Depends upon the policy. Some are never, some are a few months.....someone else already posted you have to read the fine print.

My friend's father in law committed suicide six months and one day after he took out a life insurance policy as the policy had a six month clause. But the worst thing is he left behind his grandchildren and loving wife....all because he couldn't pay a few bills. So not worth it. NOthing is worth killing yourself over.

^ Yeh - I was totally just gonna say what Mythical did, only I prolly wouldn't have said as well...

If you care about how the people who are still alive would live, why not just stay and help take care of them. If you just want to be away from them but make sure they have money, move to some where else and make regular but anonymous payments to them.

If you care about how the people who are still alive would live, why not just stay and help take care of them. If you just want to be away from them but make sure they have money, move to some where else and make regular but anonymous payments to them.

I don't think that those who are suicidal feel like they are going to hurt those who are still alive. Some feel that those alive would be better off without them. Some feel as if they have been a burden to others. thereforeeee, they don't want to be a burden AFTER death as well which is why they would consider life insurance to pay for after-death costs.

Depression often distorts people's perceptions of the world. If there is someone out there that you care enough about to want them to have your life insurance policy, realize that they would probably be very hurt by your death.

I have known a few people who are still grieving and angry over a family member's suicide years afterwards. Instead of killing yourself, find someone to talk to about how you're feeling. It can get better.

My life insurance policy wont' cover suicide no matter how long youve had the policy.

Why are you so worried about it? Obviously you don't care enough about the people you would be leaving behind with contemplating suicide so why does it matter whether life insurance will pay out or not.

Yeah, I don't think the money would quite cover it if they were to discover you had commited suicide. Heartbreaking

At the end of the day, no matter how bad life is to family money isn't everything if they don't have their loved ones.

I've been there done that and have felt that everyone would be better off without me around but at the end of the day I have had to bring myself to realization that if I was gone, my family/friends would be alot worse off and I couldn't imagine being selfish enough to end my life and cause other people grief..

Depression often distorts people's perceptions of the world. If there is someone out there that you care enough about to want them to have your life insurance policy, realize that they would probably be very hurt by your death.

I have known a few people who are still grieving and angry over a family member's suicide years afterwards. Instead of killing yourself, find someone to talk to about how you're feeling. It can get better.

Sadly though, there really are those who do not have caring families. True, the family will grieve after their deaths, but at the same time, the family will shut the door in their face while they're alive.

diagnosed as having few months to live, don't want my kids seeing that sort of end.

I don't want to go thru it.

While I'm able I'd rather prevent them from having to see the slow decline and prevent my going thru it.

I've been eyeing this bridge abutment on the interstate that has a 4' wall which is a 75 drop onto a train track, I have a really fast motorcycle which at night the wall could be easy to hit, it would throw one over the wall to the tracks below and there would be no trains at night, no risk to anyone else. It would look like a true accident and nobody would know the true cause, life insurance would pay. I've had the policy 20 years now so it's very valuable. My kids don't see the suffering and everything gets paid off. Wife left me anyway so I'd have to go end-phase alone and wouldn't want it. it's just a cleaner way.

Friday nights are always a good nite for a motorcycle ride.............drunks often run people off the road.

best of luck to all

I'm really sorry to hear about you being diagnosed with a serious illness.

I can understand that's a really scary thing to go through and it's understandable that would cause you to think about suicide. Have you talked to your doctor about hospice? The hospice folks can do a lot to make the end easier. And I think your kids would really prefer to have whatever time they can have left with you to say goodbye and come to terms with things than to think it was a random accident.

In any case, peace to you.

You have my greatest sympathies. I understand your thought process here, but there are a few points I'd like to make.

Number one: there's a chance that you could survive the 'accident' but be maimed in the process. Upshot: bed-ridden ahead of schedule, in more pain than ever before, and family feeling twice as bad about the hand that life has dealt you.

Number two: a violent death is not going to be any easier on your kids than your passing away peacefully in your sleep. Just the reverse, I would think.

Number three: what are you thinking, man? With time running so short, spend every goddamn minute with them that you can!

I'm so sorry to hear about your terminal illness. ladyblue07 is right on about a hospice. They can help make your last few months as comfortable as possible. They'll work with you and your doctor to keep your pain to a minimum and they can help your children come to terms with things.

When my father was dying of cancer he wanted to be at home so we arranged hospice care. There were about 3 months between his final diagnosis and his death. We were all so happy we got the time together that we did. We were going to grieve his death no matter what, but those 3 months gave us time to share stories, prepare ourselves mentally, and resolve any old hurts that were still there. The hospice nurse and staff were wonderful and there was nothing they wouldn't do to help.

My father did not want to be in pain at the end so they were able to keep him sedated to the point where he didn't suffer. They taught us all what to do to alleviate any pain and if we had questions or concerns we called them and they responded right away.

My father was always so happy the way the hospice nurse treated him. She always respected his dignity and that was a big deal for my father.

Take the time you have left and spend it with your family. They will want to be with you and not have you go out in a crash or some other tragic fashion.

If you would like help finding a hospice please send me a private note and I will be happy to try to locate some choices for you.

Number three: what are you thinking, man? With time running so short, spend every goddamn minute with them that you can!

While I am extremely sorry to hear about your problems, I couldn't agree more with what somebloke said, atleast if you pass away from your illness your family has an explanation of what happened. If you die in some "freak" accident they will always be left wondering, "What happened?". My mother passed suddenly, and it was extremely hard on me and my brother as it was so unexpected we didn't get to spend time with her like we would have done had we known it would be our last day with her. Spend as much time as you can with your family, love them, hug them and just enjoy the little bit of time you have left!! It isn't fair to you nor your family if you commit suicide. Enjoy The time that you do have!!

Archived