Got a Facebook notification asking me if I know Mr. X?

I have the Facebook app installed on my android cell phone. I haven't checked my FB for a week, but today I got a FB notification from my cell saying "Do you know Mr. X ?"

That Mr. X is my ex's boyfriend. I don't know him and we are not friends on FB. Why am I receiving such notification? Is it because I haven't logged on FB for a week, and they use this kind of strategy to encourage people to be an active FB user again?

What is also strange is that although FB is asking me if I know this person, I do not see any "yes/no" buttons so that I can say if I know this person or not...very strange.

Has anyone gotten this experience before?

No matter what happens, I will do my best to not check my FB to facilitate my healing process.

I have the Facebook app installed on my android cell phone. I haven't checked my FB for a week, but today I got a FB notification from my cell saying "Do you know Mr. X ?"

That Mr. X is my ex's boyfriend. I don't know him and we are not friends on FB. Why am I receiving such notification? Is it because I haven't logged on FB for a week, and they use this kind of strategy to encourage people to be an active FB user again?

What is also strange is that although FB is asking me if I know this person, I do not see any "yes/no" buttons so that I can say if I know this person or not...very strange.

Has anyone gotten this experience before?

No matter what happens, I will do my best to not check my FB to facilitate my healing process.

No facebook does not do this to get you to use it more. I went inactive 4 months and I didn't get any such notification (I went as far as changing my email and pw by giving it to a friend to eliminate complete access for 4 months).

What likely happened is that your ex is probably registered as "important" in the facebook algorithm based on interactions (messages, likes, pictures tagges, comments, etc) and now that they're friends on facebook it thought you would care to know, unless you block her and other mutual friends... then you know what's waiting for you.

Keep to NC, it might feel like an eternity but let me tell you, deactivating facebook 4 months (i recently reactivated it) was the best thing i ever did. i'm on it now but i'm not exactly sure why lol, it's lost it's charm, i might just delete mine ....

No facebook does not do this to get you to use it more. I went inactive 4 months and I didn't get any such notification (I went as far as changing my email and pw by giving it to a friend to eliminate complete access for 4 months).

What likely happened is that your ex is probably registered as "important" in the facebook algorithm based on interactions (messages, likes, pictures tagges, comments, etc) and now that they're friends on facebook it thought you would care to know, unless you block her and other mutual friends... then you know what's waiting for you.

Keep to NC, it might feel like an eternity but let me tell you, deactivating facebook 4 months (i recently reactivated it) was the best thing i ever did. i'm on it now but i'm not exactly sure why lol, it's lost it's charm, i might just delete mine ....

But that doesn't really answer why FB gave me such notification. My ex and I never block each other by the way.

I will keep NC for sure. Thanks for the good idea! I will change my password into a string of random characters and then hide the paper to a safe place.

By the way, how do you feel now after you have reactivated FB after 4 months?

But that doesn't really answer why FB gave me such notification. My ex and I never block each other by the way.

I will keep NC for sure. Thanks for the good idea! I will change my password into a string of random characters and then hide the paper to a safe place.

By the way, how do you feel now after you have reactivated FB after 4 months?

It does answer it... someone probably added him and suggested new friends or vice versa, it's common.

I feel fine and great, Facebook seems all so stupid and trivial now but while you're in the thick of it it's best to stay away, it's the best thing I ever did.

Like I mentioned I'm even thinking of completely erasing my Facebook because I no longer see the charm / use of it, it seems like a world where everyone is absorbed in their own fantasies, where they want to show the world they live a life with no problems and only great / happy moments.

The free time I have I'd rather spend reading the news, or on ENA, FB just doesn't do it for me anymore. Anyone I care to talk to keeps me informed via whatsapp and phone calls anyways.

It might be some sort of scam. Unless you log into your Facebook page, someone sends you a friend request and you can check out whether or not you know the person, don't answer it. Just delete it. It's possible someone hacked your ex's emails or FB page and now they're sending out bogus requests to all of the people in her list using another name in her contacts, Mr. X, to lure people into saying yes. Happened to me when my sister had her email hacked and I got an email from her telling me to check out this hilarious link. She sends me stuff like that all the time, so even though I thought the spelling was off and she didn't quite say it the way she usually did I clicked. And had to end up completely taking my laptop back to factory settings to get rid of the virus that attacked it through the link.

So no, don't click and don't respond. And on FB always make sure those "friend" requests are legit before you accept them. I also accepted a bogus friend request once and suddenly had some weird person from the military start "following me" and I'm not a person who should be followed, zero reason. It was a little bit alarming, so I set everything on my FB page to only have friends see me and only friends of friends can send me requests. Keep your security high electronically, the hackers are out there trolling as we speak...or type.

I wouldn't read into it too much, but definitely don't respond to it in case it's a scam or anything. My ex and I are not friends on FB and have not been for 8 months. I blocked him about 3 weeks ago and still get suggested friends of his on my feeder. Definitely deactivate Facebook. I did for about 2 months and wish I could have longer. I'm moving to Australia (currently live in the US) in about 2 months and needed it to get in touch with people to see before I leave and would feel bad deactivating it after I move since I will have a new number that people wont be able to call, and many people don't know my skype information.

After reactivating it, I have not posted one thing. It just seems trivial and you realize how unimportant it is after you stop using it. Seriously, try deactivating it for a long period of time. I would be there with you if I wasn't leaving so soon.

Archived