what does "i'll see you around" mean?

istawurst

was at school and a guy who apparently likes me but is not interested in a relationship saw me in the computer lab, sat by me and started chatting. when he left he said, "i'll see you around." what does this mean? particularly when considering he has made absolutely no effort to see me. i know he is busy with school and work, but hrmm...?

"I'll see you around" is a common expression that basically means "Later--I'm sure we'll run into each other at some point".

I'm not sure if this expression is North American or not, but it's quite common. It doesn't really mean anything significant and shouldn't be taken overly literally.

was at school and a guy who apparently likes me but is not interested in a relationship saw me in the computer lab, sat by me and started chatting. when he left he said, "i'll see you around." what does this mean? particularly when considering he has made absolutely no effort to see me. i know he is busy with school and work, but hrmm...?

It has two different meanings:

1) See ya later. (Really, see ya later)

2) This is it, nice talking to you. Have a good life.

he's knows i like him and i know he likes me...after a couple hook ups decided to "take things slower" and its now awkward. one moment he treats me like a girl friend, the next like a friend...all the while maintaining a lot of distance. we don't really know each other well, but have lots of close mutual friends. i have made a lot of effort to smooth things over after being basically rejected because we are going to see each other whether we like it or not. He is completely confusing me. He doesn't really text. he doesn't make an effort to see me. but when we run into each other its very obvious he is interested. i already have been rejected, so not really sure what to do. at this point, i kind of wish he would make a decision one way or the other.

yeah he is definitely being friendly which is appreciated. he definitely knows i like him because i told him and he told me he liked me. he wanted to take things slow, which basically amounted to ignoring me. (he just got out of a relationship, and so did i). taking things slow seemed like a good idea, but i couldn't really handle the amount of distance he wanted, so i told him the ambiguity is not working for me. since then i have made a concerted effort to be friends, particularly hard since we did not know each other hardly at all to begin with. he doesn't really engage, doesn't make an effort to invite me out (even with mutual friends). so i thought it was entirely off. yet apparently when randomly in the same room its on. its just very on and off, hot and cold and its driving me nuts. can someone please decode? am i just too easily wound up by this guy?

I think he has made a decision -- he likes you as a friend but doesn't want to get into a relationship with you. Perhaps he doesn't want things to be awkward when he does run into you, so he's friendly. He may be "interested" in talking to you as a friend, but not anything else. According to you, he doesn't really text, doesn't make an effort to see you -- these actions (or lack thereof) should be your confirmation that he's not interested in a romantic relationship. There shouldn't really be anything confusing about that. Just talking to someone doesn't mean you're interested in them romantically; he may genuinely enjoy talking to you, and that might be the extent of it. Try not to overthink it.

It depends on the context and in your context the guy was simply saying goodbye. If he had said it to you after a first date, then that would have been quite bad. It would have meant something along the lines of--well--''Bye, I'm not interested in a second date with you. Good luck.''

yes i am definitely over thinking it. how do you cope with being friends with someone when you still like them?

Hmmm...well, for the most part, I don't. If I like a guy romantically, and he doesn't like me that way, I generally avoid trying to be friends, mainly because years and years of experience have taught me that it just leads to more frustration and sometimes even heartbreak. The exception is my most recent ex, with whom I am *trying* to be friends even if we are never going to be together. The jury is still out on whether or not a friendship between us will work.

I have been in this situation. He liked the hooking up probably, but doesn't want to pursue anything with you. He's probably playing head games sort of if he knows you like him - althoughI don't think so. I think he's being nice...but isn't interested in you.

I would keep my distance to get over him. Its accepting reality - he doesn't like you....and just realizing your'e a great girl and should move on.

Archived