Which one would you choose?

newbie123

Would you guys choose a job that is 15 min from where you live walking, but which is a new one, or another one where you feel more connected with people since you have been working there for one year and you have very good colleagues there, but which is 20 min by bus and which means that during the whole day you cannot get home during breaking hours? All the other conditions are the same.

P.S consider that some relaxing at home is really important when working 8h + 2 breaking hours just like in both of these places.

Would you guys choose a job that is 15 min from where you live walking, but which is a new one, or another one where you feel more connected with people since you have been working there for one year and you have very good colleagues there, but which is 20 min by bus and which means that during the whole day you cannot get home during breaking hours? All the other conditions are the same.

P.S consider that some relaxing at home is really important when working 8h + 2 breaking hours just like in both of these places.

Not sure what other conditions you have considered, such as- health and future of the company, whether there is room for you to move up, and what your future goals are at either place.

Really, it is only 5 minutes difference in transit time. But I get that it could be longer due to the bus schedule.

For me, I would stick with the job you have now, simply because it works. But that's just me.

At face value, I'd keep my friendships alive with the current people by seeing them outside of work and eliminate the hassle, time and expense of a bus commute. However, based on my foundational first year of performance, I'd first attempt to negotiate some kind of career path with the current job before leaving it. If my annual review was 'okay' but didn't present the opportunity to work with management to make a bigger job my goal with that firm, then leaving there for somewhere more ripe for that potential would be more important to me than a simple commuting change.

Figure out how much the commute is costing you in real cash plus and a dollar value on your time, and also what kind of personal productivity you'd gain from access to your home during your breaks. Would this give you study time for taking night classes to advance your career with grad school or certification of some kind?

Time IS money, but I'd focus on how I could parley that time into the most value, and I'd compare the future career value of both jobs.

I hope you'll let us know what you decide.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived