Moving offices

anna8896

Heya-

Ive worked for this company now for over 3 years, the first year i commuted from my hometown to the main office (an hour on the train) and after a winter of continual sickness (i believe because of the air con) i asked for a move to the other office (also an hour away from my hometown but i would move to that city)

So 2 years ago i moved to this office with no air con, parking so i could drive to work and all was great. Out of the blue last week i was told we are moving offices, to somewhere further away from the apartment im now renting, with no parking and over an hour and a halfs commute each way and to top it all off its got air con and no windows that open and is half the size.

Theres been no reasoning to why we are moving to a smaller office, and im out of sorts because everything ive done to make things easier has been reversed- as i write this i realise there is other solution to look for roles elsewhere as this is going to be the way it is, but what is your view on this?

I mean... it sucks? Generally speaking, companies don't just relocate certain offices because it's fun, so I'm sure there's a reason whether you know of it or not. Not sure what else you want anyone to make of it.

If the commute's not worth it, wishing you the best finding work that's more local.

pretty sure its' saving them a bunch of money (farther away, smaller, etc.)

can you request to relocate back to the other office if that would be a better situation (at least a shorter commute?)

but ya.. if this is a dealbreaker for you and not sustainable - look for a new position for sure. but don't leave without a new position confirmed and signed first unless it's THAT bad.

Be wary of uprooting your life for a company unless you have no attachments to where you live currently.

I once moved from LA to Dallas because the company wanted me there. As it turns out, they really wanted us all from various places moved to Texas because it would be easier to lay us all off and turn the jobs into contractor jobs at 2/3rds salary--if we were in Texas.

So there I was, 2 years in after having lived in LA for decades, having to find another job back on the West Coast because there was nothing in my salary range for me there in Dallas.

I would look for work if I were you in the area you want to live.

I don't think air conditioning will make you sick as long as you dress appropriately and of course you can avoid sitting right near a vent. I also am uncomfortable when it's too cold like that. I'm sorry that it's inconvenient for you and I don't think a 1.5 hour commute will work for you unless you can get stuff done during the commute (i.e. if you are taking public transportation). Can you telecommute a few days a week?

I don't think air conditioning will make you sick as long as you dress appropriately and of course you can avoid sitting right near a vent. I also am uncomfortable when it's too cold like that. I'm sorry that it's inconvenient for you and I don't think a 1.5 hour commute will work for you unless you can get stuff done during the commute (i.e. if you are taking public transportation). Can you telecommute a few days a week?

it depends on the % of recirculated air. it sounds like its the recirculated air that is the problem (they mentioned lack of windows to open in favor of the HVAC system). Whch is the same reason a lot of people get sick while flying - high % of re-cycled air for pressurization purposes. All it takes is 1 person with a bad cold to taint recycled air that then everybody breathes and why most diseases get passed during travel.

Archived