Scared to eat

So it started two weeks ago when my fiance abruptly ended our relationship sending me into a pretty out of control emotional state. I've always found I have no appetite when I'm sad or depressed but it usually only lasts for a few days and then I'll at least try. I ate for the first time in two weeks last night - two chicken nuggets and a couple of lettuce leaves and I felt so uncomfortably full. This morning I was sick and all day I've felt fat, (not in a "worried about my weight" way, just that I felt bloated and uncomfortable). I noticed my stomach give a little rumble earlier this evening and I thought about what I could try eating but when I really thought about it the thought of actually eating anything made me feel ill. The hunger passed fairly quickly and I'm back to no appetite again. I'm worried I'm going to develop some kind of disorder or that I'll seriously hurt myself if I don't eat soon but I have this unshakeable fear of actually eating. I don't think it's weight related but it could be a control thing, maybe?

I'm worried I'm going to develop some kind of disorder or that I'll seriously hurt myself if I don't eat soon but I have this unshakeable fear of actually eating.

First thing to do is the obvious: Make an appointment with your doctor and then get a referral for therapy/counselling to help you understand where all these unhealthy issues are coming from and how to deal with them. You need professional help.

I also would see a doctor but here is what I would do also -even if you feel bloated ,drink as much water as possible -goal is 10 glasses a day. Do not drink any juice or anything else like soda, even diet soda - just the water (I'd avoid coffee for now or just one cup). You might also try a smoothie with ice, banana, some milk or yogurt and maybe some honey (check for a good recipe as far as amounts) -even if you can't eat, you might feel better sipping something. And also ginger tea.

Thank you to everyone for their input here. I have been drinking a few glasses of water a day and have had the occasional tomato juice but can't stomach much more. I had a small amount to eat today and felt ill soon after and was sick again. I've spoken to my doctor about this and have been prescribed anti anxiety tablets which I've now been taking for a couple of days. I'm feeling rather hopeless at this point which is probably exaggerated by the lack of food.

I just wondered if anyone else has ever experienced this kind of thing before? I of course know I need to eat but I just have this mental block that won't allow me to do what I need to do. I'm still desperately pining for my ex and I'm wondering if I'm subconsciously punishing myself or if it's just normal to feel this way.

Thank you to everyone for their input here. I have been drinking a few glasses of water a day and have had the occasional tomato juice but can't stomach much more. I had a small amount to eat today and felt ill soon after and was sick again. I've spoken to my doctor about this and have been prescribed anti anxiety tablets which I've now been taking for a couple of days. I'm feeling rather hopeless at this point which is probably exaggerated by the lack of food.

I just wondered if anyone else has ever experienced this kind of thing before? I of course know I need to eat but I just have this mental block that won't allow me to do what I need to do. I'm still desperately pining for my ex and I'm wondering if I'm subconsciously punishing myself or if it's just normal to feel this way.

I would force myself to drink the 8-1o glasses of water a day. That is not eating. It's so important not to let yourself be dehydrated. I hope you feel better soon. I have lost my appetite when I'm upset but not to the point you are at. I am sorry you aren't feeling well!!

Archived