Non-smoker kissing a smoker?

Shocking news: I may actually, just possibly, be facing the prospect of some serious make-out action soon!! Quick look outside your window - are pigs flying by?!

But the catch, and of course there is one, is that he's a smoker. As a life-long non-smoker, I am worried that I will find it hugely disgusting and it may show on my face. Should I chew Altoids and hope for the best, or ask him to chew Altoids? Is that insulting? He knows I don't care for smoking and he's trying to quit, but....still a pack a day. Any advice?

Spro

I'd tell him to cut the smokes out for a little while before the makeout session! I'm a nonsmoker too and my ex was a major smoker. EWWW! Mints doesn't cover it...you can smell it in their breath a lot deeper than just mints. If he smokes even a few hours before I would be having him gargle mouthwash!

I think that's a fair concern. I used to smoke lots like that too, and was kissing a non-smoker. I can imagine it could be gross: hey, it can even get to be gross for the smoker sometimes.

If he is considerate of this stuff, he may take care of it with no talk (brush his teeth, be minty-fresh when he sees ya').

If he doesn't, I think it'd be perfectly ok to bring it up in a lighthearted way. Give him a little present of mints etc. lol.

Chances are, he'll be so eager to kiss ya that he'll do most anything you ask with a smile.

good luck and happy times ahead!

Thanks for the info! He's a nice guy so I think he would likely be careful to take care of all that prior, but just in case I can't wait, I just wanted to be prepared. heehee.

Scotcha - just curious, would smoking be a deal-breaker in an otherwise great relationship? I think about this sometimes as smoking is such a turn-off for me, but maybe I could get used to it? I've never had experience with a smoker (none of my friends smoke either).

Spro

My boyfriend is a smoker, and I find smoking totally disgusting.

As a compromise my boyfriend keeps mouthwash in the car. It doesn't take everything away, but he doesn't smoke around me ever so I guess I can't complain too much.

The truth is no matter what he does you can still kinda smell/taste it. Although, no matter what people say it is NOT like kissing an ashtray or anything.

I had an ex who was a smoker, and not just a casual one... smoked like crazy. He had the nerve to kiss me for the first time right after he had a cigarette! I dunno, it was a little insulting for some reason that he couldn't pop a breathmint or wait an hour until it wasn't so strong...

My current boyfriend used to smoke a lot, so I expected something similar... but nope, perfect breath, perfect kiss... he told me later that he almost quit completely because he thought he'd have a better chance with me. ^.^ Sexiest. Thing. Ever.

So pretty much, it's just good etiquitte to freshen up, even if you don't smoke. I'm sure he'll think of it in advance, if not the first kiss the next one. It probably won't be as bad as you think as long as he hadn't just finished a ciggy.

well i had a boyfriend who was an absolute chain smoker and making out with him didn't personally bother me at all, to me the taste was definitely there, but it wasn't bad in my opinion..one thing though is sine my dad was a chain smoker and everytime i was around him i smelled smoke on him, kissing a bf who smoked reminded me of my dad.......that was just WEIRD... lol, it's kind of hard to get into the moment then

• 3 years later...

I'm totally unexperienced and naive about everything related to smoking, drugs, and alcohol. But my boyfriend used to smoke weed occasionally but stopped two months ago, before we started going out.

We haven't kissed yet, but it's going to happen soon, I believe.

What should I expect?

Archived