One of my friends was telling me that he does not have a TV, and he said that it's the best thing because he would rather be talking with his wife than staring at the tube. I first thought it was weird to not have a tv, because I have always had one, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense to not have a television.

I am considering that when I get married, I will simply not have a tv. Of course my wife would have a say, but I would simply explain that I want to spend more time with her, and that TV watching would reduce the amount of time I could spend with her. Hopefully she will understand....

Should I just give up tv watching for good? I think it will be good for my future relations......

I was raised without tv, and I am very glad about that. Now I am on my own, and I watch from time to time. I think that I will just have a tv for the DVD player, but without the cable in the future.

I think tv can be great, but it makes us very lazy. I'd rather listen to music and discuss things or go out together.

Ilse.

Of course my wife would have a say, but I would simply explain that I want to spend more time with her,

It is a nice sentiment but believe me, you cannot sit on the lounge and talk to your future wife all night for the rest of your life. You will both go crazy.

Everyone needs down time. TV is one way to get it and I think some TV is good for you. If you got rid of the TV you would have to replace it with something like books which are probably better for you.

I would not say TV is a terrible thing. Sure if someone is always watching it, that may be a problem, but most people can handle regulating how much they watch.

You can not talk ALL the time to your partner, you need downtime. And your partner is not ALWAYS going to be around either. Don't get me wrong, I love to read, draw, spend tons of time with my SO, I am very physically active so spend time training, but there are times I like to veg out either alone or with my partner.

And not all programming is so bad, I have seen some great educational shows (I love Discovery and some of the TLC documentaries) as well as news...and then mindless entertainment at times which is just as needed. It's not necessary, but it does not have to be all that bad either. Sometimes my partner and I watch a show that sparks off some great discussions - we watched a show the other day about a girl born without a "face" due to a disease, and we began talking about children, and what we would do in that situation and so on.

Besides, cuddling up and watching a movie some nights with your partner is fun too.

Rather than saying "no TV" it is more reasonable and manageable to limit your viewing time. That's how we handle it at our house. (Although neither of us was much of a TV watcher to begin with....when I was single there'd be periods of days when the TV wouldn't even get switched on)

Anyway we have a few shows we watch regularly, beyond that we would rather interact with each other anyway. If the TV's on, it's because one of those specific shows is on. We very rarely just have the TV on for the sake of it being on.

Last bf I had before I met my husband had a TV literally in EVERY room of his house (yes, even the bathroom) and at least one of them was on ALL THE TIME. It drove me nuts. After I broke up with him, there was a new question I'd ask dates...."Do you have a TV in your bedroom?" If the answer was "yes," I'd pretty much write him off. Hey, if people can write each other off for superficial things like weight, hair color and so forth, I can have my own version of "shallow" too.

I think tv can be great, but it makes us very lazy. I'd rather listen to music and discuss things or go out together.

Ilse.

I dont believe that anything makes us lazy, television is an excuse to be lazy but its not capable of making us something we arent. Having a television or not having one is a person decision, its not really that big of a deal, if you dont want to have a television for whatever reason then dont have one.

Your former boyfriend had a TV in the bathroom?????

Yup. It was one of those little 5" black & white ones. There was a really long counter where the sink was, and he had it on the back corner of the counter by the wall & outlets. It was positioned so he could see it while he was....erm...doing his business.

At least he didn't have it connected to cable. Now that would've been TOO much.

It's a shame that many families don't sit down and talk around the dinner table anymore - instead they let the TV do the talking - the true meaning of TV Dinners!

The quality of programs has deteroriated quite appallingly - the channels go head to head on the basis of getting viewing figures now more than ever.

And that means pumping out lowest-common denominator rubbish (Reality TV, Soaps, Celebrity carry-ons etc.).

Even the Kids programs are absolute crud compared back to the 80s even - some were even educational then!

I know some people who 'have' to watch the soaps each night otherwise they almost get withdrawl symptons!

For anyone who's ever seen the John Carpenter horror-satire "They Live", well perhaps that's starting to happen!

For many kids now, artificial people they see on TV are starting to replace their parents or traditional heroes as role models.

This is quite disturbing.

Many parents will just dump their kids in front of whatever rubbish is on the TV just to keep them quiet.

I believe TV can be an educational and entertainment tool, but people are watching it too much these days.

They are starting the lose the ability to read, write, and most importantly, think for themselves. They just let the TV lifestyles lead the way...

I don't watch t.v. because it's 99% GARBAGE, but I think that if I had to rely on my boyfriend to entertain me during all of our spare time together, that I'd end up throwing myself out the window.

You can't expect to have stimulating conversation every day for the rest of your lives. It's unrealistic and would get incredibly boring.