Interview Tips!

Jellybean9

Hi guys!

I've been doing a lot of research into interview tips. As I'm actively interviewing right now.

There is one question I am always stumped with and that's when they as at the end "do you have any questions?"

I sit there blankly and sometimes have nothing to say... Which in it's self is very unprofessional for the interview.

I usually ask what it is they love about the company. Or what the day to day like in that role. Or company benifits. Or even about the team structure.

What go me in my last interview they had mentioned all the above during the running of the interview.

So thought it would be no harm getting some advice from you good people about good things to ask at the end of an interview.

Thank you in advance for your help x

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Automatically respond with "Could I please see the facility? I would love to explore the work environment here". Any true questions you have will come more naturally afterward, as they're busy showing you around you can have more time to come up with good questions. I have always received the job position after doing this.

Fantastic advice!

Automatically respond with "Could I please see the facility? I would love to explore the work environment here". Any true questions you have will come more naturally afterward, as they're busy showing you around you can have more time to come up with good questions.

Research the company before your interview, and form your ending questions before you walk in the door.

Ask about a particular product or service that might be new, or about a news story you found when you were doing your research.

That way, you'll already know what you're going to ask, and the interviewer will be impressed that you spent the time to research their company.

Always have 3-5 questions ready that are not answered on the website, etc. This is essential prep IMO. One question I used to ask was "how would you describe the working environment here". Or say "you know, you were so thorough I think you answered all my questions so right now I do not have any".

Thank you so much guys.

I never thought as suggesting to have a "look around" at the end of the interview. The job I'm at now funny enough did a grand tour which was really nice. When they don't offer that I never thought to ask.

Yes I always research the company! But I noticed in my last interview they outright asked during the interview what I find interesting about their company. So I waffled on and had nothing to really ask as the other go to questions already came up.

Essentially this "you know, you were so thorough I think you answered all my questions so right now I do not have any" is what I had to say in my last interview. Guess it's not so much of a bad thing really. Makes them great interviewers.

Thanks guys :)

Check out the blog Ask A Manager. Lots of good advice there. Come to the interview prepared with 5 questions. You can even write them down to make sure you remember, I did that at my last interview (got the job 😁). You can ask a few generic questions but try to think of 1 or 2 specific to the job. An interview is a 2 way street, you're also trying to figure out if you want to spend 40 hours a week with these people doing this work. Don't waste your opportunity to interview them.

Good luck!!

I usually ask what it is they love about the company.

Good!

Or what the day to day like in that role.

Good!

Or even about the team structure.

Good!

Or company benifits.

Mmmm...I'd avoid this one if they don't open that door without prompting. It can be interpreted as a me-centric question unless and until they propose an offer. I can appreciate that some might disagree, except that 'we' aren't the ones interviewing you. I'd rather err on the side of not offending the person who IS your gatekeeper.

Consider reviewing articles and PR releases of each company you visit. Come up with a few uncontroversial questions about what you read. Have those handy to demo that you've done your research on them. That's a compliment, and it speaks of your interest.

Good luck to you, and I hope you'll let us know when you land the job you want.

Ask:

What is the team like that I'd be working with?

Where does the company see themselves in 5 years?

What is the target audience or customer for the company?

Will training be hands-on and guided?

Am I an addition to the team or am I replacing someone?

Do not ask about salary or benefits unless they ask what you want first.

Thank you so much guys!!!

Yes didn't think that about the benefits. I know Salary is a big no no. So would never mention it. But I can see how benifits is also a little presumptious like salary "talk".

In my current role I deal with company benifits so asked about it in my last interview for the first time ever! As like I said I had no idea what to ask them at the end of the interview when they asked me for questions.

Now I can take all your tips on bored and steer away from the benifits chat.

Thanks a lot guys. I'm very rusty with interviewing so this has been a great help.

I'll keep you posted :)

The best approach is reading up on the position/company as much as possible. There are endless tools to help you calculate the average salaries for that particular job and very easy to research what benefits a company offers.

Hopefully your social media is very private and very cleaned up. Remove all goofy or suggestive or questionable posts or photos. Carefully review the privacy settings on all accounts.

Make sure you have a decent, neutral email address. Don't use a fun or social email address for professional correspondence. Be prompt in all communication. Depending on the position and company culture, dress right for the interview. There are plenty of books and resources for that as well.

As you know, it's routine now to research applicants' social media and most companies have software for that as well as other background checks. In this day and age googling yourself is essential.

The best thing you can do is have a LinkedIn profile with a professional looking head shot and a well written description of your education and experience. Make the LinkedIn profile public so that pops up on searches.

The gist of any interview should be what you have to offer them, not what's in it for you.

Ask:

What is the team like that I'd be working with?

Where does the company see themselves in 5 years?

What is the target audience or customer for the company?

Will training be hands-on and guided?

Am I an addition to the team or am I replacing someone?

Do not ask about salary or benefits unless they ask what you want first.

^^ These are also great questions. And also, great advice to not ask about salary or benefits unless they bring it up.

Due to a lot of restructuring/mergers/acquisitions, I've had quite a lot of interview experience. I've never gone on an interview where I wasn't offered the job.

I also completely changed careers, and was as shocked as anyone that I landed the job I currently have. I've followed all the good advice here, plus the info I gave earlier about researching the company and asking about them.

The gist of any interview should be what you have to offer them, not what's in it for you.

Yes, I want to emphasize this point. Even if you are asked about your own goals, I would keep this in mind. A recruiter of mine gave me great advice once, which was to not tell the interviewer your goals but instead ask about the company's goals. More often than not, your personal goals in the company will not align with the company's goals.

The best way to answer their question is to turn it around and ask more about the company's goals. My recruiter told me to use him as a scapegoat; that he said the company was "insert positive traits here" and it sounds like traits in the company you want, and you would love to hear more about and help achieve the company's goals. It shows interest by indirectly answering the question, without the handicap of listing your goals that may or may not align with the company's goals.

I would research the company in advance, read any news articles so you know what new product or service they are offering. During the interview, I asked my now manager what he liked most about working for the company. For another interview with a different company where I was hired for a project, I asked what were the "goalposts" they wanted to hit in the first 3 months and then 6 months.

Hi All,

Thank you so much for all your advice!

I had an interview yesterday. Feel it went reasonably well.

I took a lot of your advice on board.

Unfortunately we did go over the hour and I felt like asking to view the facilities would have been a bit much as we went over the allocated time. Would have really liked to of done this as the office looked amazing and I would have liked to see the rest of the team.

They were impressed with the questions I asked about the company and the rearch into current affairs of the sector I'm involved.

It felt way more relaxed and less like an interview and more like a "conversation".

So unlike the first interview I had that lead me to ask for advice on here it went a lot better. So when they asked if I had any questions... I had tonnes. So thank you so much guys!

I really tried to let them see what I had to offer them and not what they could offer me. I thankfully made no questions on company benifits.

Thankfully I'm a very private person so nothing awful is online of me. I'm very anti-social media. So that saves me.

Moving forward do you all think it is vital to have a LinkedIn profile? As all that information is on a resemé/curriculum vitae?

I will keep you guys posted on the outcome of this.

It has definitely given me more confidence moving forward to more interviews in the future :)

I have a LinkedIn profile. I have had some companies reach out to me after seeing my profile, as well as my profile on Indeed.com.

I agree with the person who said to be aware of any cutsey or potentially embarrassing email addresses or profile names. One person who was recently added temporarily to the recruiting staff at my company asked me to print her a label to put on her supplies cart (my department provides these). The name she wanted? "Babydoll". I'm not even kidding. It's likely she will not be offered a permanent position because she made herself look silly.

Guess I will reopen my profile. I only ever bad it as a student as I was in the science feild. I know it's great for contacts within those sort of sectors. Guess didn't think for my current role. Will look into this.

The only professional photos I have are from like a "model" shoot bought as a gift. So not idea. Then my passport photo... Would a passport photo be a bit too serious?

I was very fortunate with my email. It's just my full name so that's lucky I managed to get it before it became unavailable.

I worked in recruitment. Some of the emails were very childish. I'm surprised no one have told these people before. There is quirky and then there is just down right unprofessional!

Can't get over "babydoll". Honestly how could she think she could get anywhere in the real world with that.

Thanks for the advice :)

Yes, you need a LinkedIn profile. It shocks me how many people who are either unhappy in their current jobs, or are actively looking, do not have it.

LinkedIn isn't "social media". It's professional media.

I recently hired a professional photographer to take actual, professional headshots, and I agree on having a professional-sounding email name (Babydoll....kills me, lol).

Connect with tons of people on LinkedIn. You'll be amazed at how many recruiters and job searchers will contact you.

View other profiles on LinkedIn, and see how people worded their profiles. Add in your experience, your education, etc. In short, treat it like a resume snapshot.

Good luck on the recent interview!

Thank you so much guys.

I'll definitely set up my LinkedIn profile. I'll have it as my professional graduation picture for now until I get professional photos done.

Also things are looking promising with the interview I had the other day... Recruiter said they really liked me and they are bouncing backwards and forwards with salaries. So fingers crossed :)

Also do you think you should disclose dyslexia in a first interview?

Dyslexia is not something I see as an issue. It's not prevented me with obtaining degrees or within work. Same with many other people in this day and age.

The first interview prior to this thread involved a mini exam. It was based on spotting out spelling mistakes and general literacy.

I did not diclose my dyslexia and therefore did not get extra time. As I felt it would be an unfair advantage to other canidates.

Plus why would an employer want to take someone on who needs extra time to complete tasks.

I am not going to lie I did struggle as I heavily rely on spell check... Who doesn't?

I know there is laws in place to prevent discrimination in the work place.

But during the interview stage when there is a mini-exam would you feel it's too soon to mention learning difficulties?

I know you guys on here have fell victim to my waffling as I struggle to get to the point in written form. Hence the long threads and posts. I know it's there as an issue but never got in the way of academia or work to be fair.

Thoughts on this would be great :)

Yikes! No! Never depict yourself as victim or as incompetent. Review The Equality Act and all the specifics. Why run out of the gate with this before ever getting a job and create a problem if there is none? Are you sure you want a job? Save the drama for your personal life.

Don't ask for special treatment or an accommodation for a disability, if you don't need it. If dyslexia precludes you from doing your job, you shouldn't be applying for it. It's not as though they won't accommodate wheelchairs or other medical, physical or mental disabilities.

Also do you think you should disclose dyslexia in a first interview?
Yikes! No! Never depict yourself as victim or as incompetent. Review The Equality Act and all the specifics. Why run out of the gate with this before ever getting a job and create a problem if there is none? Are you sure you want a job? Save the drama for your personal life.

Don't ask for special treatment or an accommodation for a disability, if you don't need it. If dyslexia precludes you from doing your job, you shouldn't be applying for it. It's not as though they won't accommodate wheelchairs or other medical, physical or mental disabilities.

Agree completely! If a job for which you are applying requires you to do things that are made more difficult by your dyslexia, then look for other jobs. I'm not saying that to be harsh; I'm saying it to try and help you find a job that you will not only like, but that you can be good at, so that you will enjoy your employment.

My ex-husband had dyslexia, and even as an adult, he saw his numbers backwards, etc. He never mentioned this to anyone (other than me, or his teachers), and he was very successful in his career. So I'm not trying to dyslexia-shame you, lol.

You do not want to start off by painting yourself as a victim who requires special treatment. Industries are small, and word can get around to other companies, who will then not want to interview you at all.

Thank you so much guys.

I'll definitely set up my LinkedIn profile. I'll have it as my professional graduation picture for now until I get professional photos done.

Also things are looking promising with the interview I had the other day... Recruiter said they really liked me and they are bouncing backwards and forwards with salaries. So fingers crossed :)

This is all great news!

Even if you land this job (which I hope you do!), update your LinkedIn profile. Add this new job to it, and update once you have some proven skills under your belt.

As for your photo, it does not have to be professionally taken, which can cost a lot. You can have a friend take some headshots of you, against a plain background, with decent lighting (lighting is in front of you, not behind). You can wear a business suit, or a professional top, small earrings (like pearl studs), and minimal makeup and freshly styled hair.

Update your photo every few years, too. It amazes me how many people I see who have 10 year-old LinkedIn photos. No different than the dating sites, lol!

Archived