Dear eNotAlone: I am a male in my late twenties, and I simply cannot seem to make any progress in my dating life. I have had many interactions with women, some which lead to dates, but none of them ever seemed to go anywhere after that. Even when I've become friends with women, things still stay platonic and nothing more ever comes out of it. I talk to them, I listen to them, and I think that I do a pretty decent job of showing that I'm interested, but for all the attention I invest, nothing blossoms from it at all.
* * *
If you're having trouble connecting with women, you're not alone. Many men feel just like you do—unsure how to take their relationship with a woman to the next level and make it last beyond the first few dates. Here are some tips that can help you make lasting connections:
1. Be Confident. Confidence is attractive. Show off your sense of humor and be confident in the decisions you make. A lot of times, women will be more interested if they can tell you're fine being single and don't need a girl to keep you happy. Don't try too hard, but do be comfortable with who you are.
2. Listen. Women love to be heard. Listen to what she has to say and be honest with her about your feelings and experiences. People usually feel more connected and drawn towards someone who really listens and doesn't just talk about themselves.
3. Spend Quality Time Together. Take the time to get to know the person and share with her what makes you who you are. Women appreciate a man who isn't afraid to be vulnerable and honest with them. Show her authentic interest and your willingness to commit to getting to know her better.
4. Get Creative. Come up with new ways to keep things interesting. Don't be afraid to switch up your typical dating routine and come up with surprising and fun activities. Be thoughtful and try to match the activity to the other person's interests, goals, and passions.
5. Show Respect. Women want to be respected for who they are. Respect her wishes, boundaries, and understand that each person has different needs and wants. Make sure you're on the same page and that respect is at the forefront of your relationship.
Following these tips won't guarantee you immediate success with women, but they should help you feel more confident and make more meaningful connections. It may feel like a daunting task to move your relationship with a woman along to the next step, but having a little patience and putting the steps mentioned above into practice should get you where you want to be.