• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

About Me

Found 13 results

1. Dear eNotAlone: I'm feeling really lonely and shy, I feel like I have no friends and no one to talk to; I am even afraid to start conversations because I don't know what to say. I feel like my self-esteem is too low and no matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to shake these feelings. What should I do? * * * If you're feeling lonely and shy, you're definitely not alone. Many people feel the same way due to various reasons such as living in a new place, having difficulty building new friendships, or struggling with low self esteem. Thankfully, there are many steps you can take to overcome these kinds of feelings. The first step to overcoming loneliness and shyness is to recognize the potential causes of these feelings. If it's due to a change in settings, like moving to a new city, it can be helpful to think about how you can meet new people or make new connections. If you're feeling isolated because of a lack of existing friendships in your life, it's important to spend time reflecting on why that might be the case and what you can do to make more meaningful connections. On the other hand, if you are facing low self-esteem, it's essential to recognize that this can be a strong contributor to feelings of loneliness and shyness. Once you understand the root of your feelings, there are many ways to start building new relationships. A great first step is to look for activities or events within your community where you can meet like minded individuals with similar interests. Whether signing up for a yoga class, joining a book club, or attending an art opening, you can use these opportunities as an effective way to introduce yourself to others without relying heavily on conversation. If you feel like you need extra practice starting conversations, social media can be a great tool. While it can be tempting to hide behind your screen, try to use it as a way to warm up to conversations with new people. Start with simple messages like "Hi - how are you?" and gradually build on them over time. It can also be helpful to start with people that you know in real life by messaging them and asking how they're doing when you don't see each other often. From there, you can start to reach out to other acquaintances so that you're more comfortable conversing with someone new in person. It may also be beneficial to practice mindfulness activities, like mediation and journaling, as a way to ease your feelings of loneliness and shyness. Journaling can act as an outlet to express certain feelings and reflecting on them can help you gain more clarity and insight into your emotions. In addition, research has shown that participating in regular physical activities like exercise or walking can help lift your mood and build self-confidence. Seek professional help as needed. If you find yourself feeling overwhelmed by loneliness or feeling constantly anxious or sad, it can be helpful to talk to a therapist or counselor. Doing so can provide you with the necessary resources to begin challenging your fears head-on. Remember that loneliness and shyness are common and normal emotions that many people feel. Taking the time to recognize them, build your confidence, and explore helpful ways to make meaningful connections can help you start to manage your feelings.
  2. Dear eNotAlone: I'm a 25 year old female and I've been struggling with shyness for as long as I can remember. Whenever I'm in social situations, I just don't know what to say or do, so I end up silently standing in the corner feeling anxious and awkward. I don't think it's fair – I want to be able to express myself and get out of my shell, but it almost feels impossible at times. I'm not even sure if I'm capable of change, so I'd love some advice on how to overcome my shyness once and for all, and become confident in social settings. * * * There's no doubt that overcoming shyness and developing confidence can be difficult undertaking, but it is also completely achievable. The first step towards becoming more self-assured is understanding where your shyness comes from. Ask yourself: why am I feeling so anxious in social settings? What negative beliefs am I carrying around with me? Are these beliefs true or based on assumptions? Notice where you stand in the room when you are in a social setting. Are you to the side or in the front? Many times, the most comfortable places can become the places of danger. Move to different areas of the room and observe the situation from different perspectives. The more you can do to stop self-judgment, the better. Connection is also an important part of being confident in social settings. Although this may feel difficult at first, try to get to know people where you are. It doesn't have to be deep conversations, but merely start initiating small talk. Questions such as "How did you learn about the event?" or "Do you live around here?" can be great conversation starters. After each conversation, give yourself a pat on the back and make sure to remind yourself anyone can talk to anyone - not just the loudest people in the room. One of the most powerful ways to turn shyness into confidence is through practice. Challenging yourself serves as a positive way to build inner strength and self-trust. You can start by attending events and making sure to introduce yourself to at least one person. Or, you can take it one step further by joining a public speaking class or group. Just keep in mind that it will take time and you may feel uncomfortable in the process. That's ok! Trust yourself and start to act with courage - often, discomfort can lead to success. Changing deeply rooted behaviors can be difficult. But don't forget that you are capable of more than you may think. With patience and consistency, you can conquer your shyness and overcome any fears that are holding you back.
  3. Dear eNotAlone: I'm a shy guy who has a major problem with women. It seems like no matter what I do I can't seem to make any headway in the world of romance. I'm not sure if it's because I tend to be a bit awkward or if I'm just really scared of getting rejected. I want desperately to find someone special and to settle down with them, but I'm at a total loss for how to make it happen for me. I feel like even if I manage to get the attention of a girl I won't know what to say or do next, like my social skills are completely lacking when it comes to relationships. What can I do to become better at talking to women and ultimately finding true love? * * * The first thing you need to understand is that it's perfectly normal to feel shy and unsure of yourself in the dating world. It can be an extremely nerve-wracking experience to put yourself out there and involve yourself in casual conversation with someone you're attracted to. However, this doesn't mean you should give up on pursuing your romantic desires. It just means you'll need to take a few extra steps to get yourself there. One of the best ways to build confidence when it comes to talking to women is to practice. Put yourself in as many social situations as possible where you will have opportunities to interact with others, such as bars, parties, and events. Feel free to strike up a conversation with anyone willing to talk, whether they are single or not. Once you get the hang of small talk and building up your self-esteem, you'll find that approaching someone you're attracted to becomes much easier. Another great tool you can use to help quell your shyness around women is to make sure you always have topics to talk about on hand. Doing some research prior to engaging in conversation can help you feel prepared, which may give you the boost of confidence necessary to start up a conversation. Having a few interesting facts or stories to share is also a great way to set yourself apart from the other potential suitors. Don't forget that it's okay to screw up occasionally. Everyone makes mistakes and sometimes conversations don't turn out the way we had planned. The important thing is that you don't let your worries and doubts limit you from putting yourself out there and getting the chance to connect with others. Understanding your strengths and weaknesses may actually be one of the most effective tools for flirting and finding true love.
  4. Asking a girl out can be intimidating and downright nerve-wracking — no matter your disposition. If you are introverted or shy, then it might seem near impossible. But there is a way! Here are some tips and advice to help introverted and shy boys build the confidence they need to ask somebody out. First, take a deep breath and allow yourself to believe that you have the confidence to take on this potentially new adventure. Accept that it's quite alright to have insecurities, and don't be too hard on yourself for feeling them — you're not alone. Everyone gets nervous and self-conscious when first meeting someone. But by acknowledging these feelings and that it's normal to have them, you will be able to feel more at ease when it comes time to initiate the conversations that come before asking somebody out. One way to gain confidence when first meeting someone is to practice being social and talking with people whenever possible. “Fake it till you make it” is a tried and true adage that has proven itself helpful in many social situations. Before you meet someone you want to date you can improve confidence by simply getting more comfortable speaking publicly. You can try answering questions in class, having short conversations with store clerks and neighbors, or joining local clubs and events. Once you're feeling a bit more confident, find an opportunity to begin a conversation with the person you'd like to date. Make sure to keep the conversation light; you don't need to jump directly into the dating conversation. Remember, the conversation should be a two-way street, so learn how to listen patiently, ask follow-up questions, and keep eye contact. Being interested in the other person and paying attention to the details you talk about between each other matters. Once you feel like the conversation has really gotten flowing and the other person is enjoying themselves, that's the best time to transition into asking that special someone out. When it comes to the actual act of asking someone out, don't sweat it. Keep it casual and low pressure. Go for drinks, a movie, lunch, or something else simple. The person you are asking may be feeling just as scared and vulnerable, so putting them at ease right away can help you both to relax and enjoy the date. Once the date has been initiated, remember to stay focused on the other person. Pay attention to what they say and thoughtfully respond. Talk about things that interest the other person and get them to open up. Make sure they know they can trust you and that you genuinely care about getting to know them better. This will go a long way in amplifying the chances of having your date excitedly agree to a second one down the line. The bottom line is that despite being introverted or shy, there is still a way for you to use confidence and discretion to attract and engage prospective dates. From practicing social skills to making the actual ask, there are a variety of ways to make it happen. As long as you remain thoughtful and patient, you will be able to navigate the process of dating successfully. Good luck!
  5. Do you feel anxious in social situations? Does it seem like you and your peers are living on two different planets? Have you found yourself simply wishing you could have a conversation without experiencing crippling shyness? Dealing with shyness can seem overwhelming and never-ending, but it is possible to overcome this common condition. Have you ever felt like an alien lost in an unfamiliar land? In the same way that an alien new to our planet has difficulty integrating into a new society, feeling shy may come from not being sure how to interact with people, or just feeling extremely vulnerable. This discomfort can cause feelings of alienation or even shame, but once we understand why we feel this way it becomes easier to face these feelings and move through them. Shyness often arises from fear of the unknown, especially when it comes to interacting with others. It can feel difficult to know what to say and more challenging to make conversation in a way that feels natural and not forced. Or perhaps you have had difficulty managing conflict and expressing yourself in social situations. All of these experiences, and more, can leave us feeling paralyzed. It’s important to remember that while shyness can be stressful, it isn’t an unsolvable problem. To begin, confront your anxieties head on. It’s OK to feel uncomfortable and take time to overcome these feelings. There are ample resources to help you recognize and manage anxieties. Learning new skills, creating goals, and exploring areas of interests can help you step away from old habits and feelings of shyness. When trying to master something difficult such as overcoming shyness – it is also important to be kind and patient with yourself. Too often, shyness can make us feel like we are different from everyone else and can lead to feelings of loneliness. Join groups or organizations that can help build confidence by finding your shared interests. While this can at first seem overwhelming, know that organizations often provide mental health support and can help alleviate the stressors associated with shyness. Having the support of a group can provide encouragement and give a sense of purpose. Additionally, joining varied activities can expose us to situations and people that might normally seem daunting. Finding something you care about, something you’d like to learn or ways to connect with other people in a supportive and meaningful way can have an enormous impact on your experience of shyness. On a physical level, deep breathing can be used as a way to stay grounded and centred when faced with anxiety. Find a space where no one can detect your distress and stay connected with your breath. This can paradoxically bring about a sense of peace and safety to help fight off feelings of fear or insecurity. Moreover, finding little encouragements along the journey can help maintain the momentum needed to break through shyness. Finally, courage is key; courage to make mistakes and dare to try again. Step out of your comfort zone and believe in yourself. When faced with the unfamiliar, let go of your expectations and make the most of your experience by allowing yourself to explore. Shyness is an understandable and common experience, but it need not limit your life. Reframe these feelings of unease into opportunity and cultivate the courage it takes to explore the world around you. As you open up, however slowly, you will find your true potential and life beyond fearful boundaries. Did you like this article or find it helpful? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
  6. The world tells us to be outgoing and sure of ourselves, especially when it comes to meeting people for the first time. The truth is, however, that we all have moments of shyness from time to time. Whether it’s formally diagnosed as a social phobia or just an occasional feeling of uncertainty, many of us face moments of shyness. Being shy presents its own sets of challenges, but it can also be an opportunity to develop self-love and a better understanding of one’s needs. When you take the time to practice patience, self-reflection, and understand some basic strategies for walking through difficult feelings, it is possible to move beyond shyness and into newfound confidence. It's easy to think that we should simply outgrow shyness and come out of our shell, but it's more complex than this. Certainly, what helps some may not work for others, but there are some basic principles that can help those who feel socially intimidated in the presence of a group of people, especially if it’s made up primarily of people we don't know well. So, if you find yourself in a situation like this, take a few minutes to center yourself and refocus. Deep breaths can be greatly helpful. Taking a few minutes of restorative space can help calmly make you more present in the moment, rather than worrying about how others are perceiving you. This will help to increase your own self-confidence. When you’re ready, look at the people in the room. Give them a friendly smile. Talk to one person before addressing a group. Making eye contact and speaking directly to a single person helps build both your confidence and comfort level. Those little interactions will help move you out of the timidness. Try not to worry too much about how you’re coming across. Remember, it’s normal to feel nervous and shy. You are learning something new and during the course of events, you're likely to learn more about yourself. Be kind and patient. Think of an individual as a friend instead of someone who is intimidating. Make conversation light. Find something enjoyable to talk about. If the conversation you have isn’t going anywhere, suggest a move to somewhere else—just think of it as standing up and taking the reigns. The more places and experiences you share together, the more the other individuals will connect with you and you’ll pick up on cues that anyone would recognize. Make yourself shine colorfully! Doing what you love outside of these experiences can help you relax and gain confidence, allowing you to display a sense of security in these situations. To tinker with any hobby or skillset can give you a boost of mental energy and escapism. There may even be an opportunity to bring parts of the refreshing experience into the moment, allowing it to spread and draw the attention of others. Above all, don’t be so hard on yourself. Nobody will love and accept you until you can love and accept the person you see in the mirror. We all make mistakes, but being open to learn from mistakes and being resilient can start to equip you in moments of insecurity. Building yourself up is a great way of redirecting your focus onto something positive and within your control. Shyness can be overwhelming, but it doesn't have to rule your life. With careful care and attention, you can take shyness for what it is— part of our human condition— and use it to learn and develop stronger relationships in the future.
  7. You’re sitting in a crowded room, but feeling utterly alone. You find it hard to make small talk; when someone speaks to you, you’re struck by a sense of overwhelm. But this is only the beginning: you want to make friends, navigate your social life, even thrive among your peers, but find yourself unable to act on these desires. You feel stuck. If this struggle sounds familiar, you may be suffering from chronic shyness or “social anxieties.” Like any struggle, you may at times doubt yourself—perhaps even feeling convinced that no amount of effort could overcome these anxieties. But don’t give up hope! There are solutions: solutions to address your fear, build relationships, and walk confidently in the world. Here are some tips to help you get started in overcoming your anxieties: Address the Fear The quavering voice, the rapid heartbeat, the out-of-the-blue sweat that breaks out along your back: your anxieties are real, and they can’t be eradicated without first recognizing them. Analyzing your anxieties isn’t easy—everyone experiences anxiety differently—but try to identify the situations that make you feel most anxious (such as initiating a conversation, going to a party, or attending a club). Knowing your trigger points will allow you to develop strategies to counteract them. Start slow: don’t jump directly into the situation you find overwhelming, but rather ease your way in by doing something small yet comfortable. For example, if you are overwhelmed by large groups of people, consider beginning by interacting with only one person. Once you feel more comfortable with that, look for ways to gradually build up from there. Find Supplies: Who Can Be Your Resource? When we feel anxious, we frequently look for outside support to help us weather the challenge. Here, building a network of reliable, nonjudgmental confidants can go a long way. Find emotional resources—people who actively listen, hit pause to allow for thoughtful engagement, and offer concise solutions—to create a basin of understanding. Don’t expect these people to address all your anxieties, but by talking through their own fears and successes, you can start to develop a personal toolkit to guide you through whatever comes your way. Show Up This is not just a cliché: those who show up possess more control and agency than those who hide away indefinitely. Showing up to events, providing introductions, attending group activities can all provide tremendous opportunities for learning and growth. It doesn’t mean that your anxieties magically disappear, but instead it acknowledges that you have the power to take positive steps. You are no longer paralyzed, no longer "just watching" as everyone around you encompasses life around you. Of course, you don't need to become the life of the party; being shy is ok. Despite this, don’t forget that it's also ok to stick your neck out: tell a joke, ask an earnest question, share stories of your struggles. Nobody expects perfection, but your willingness to open up can create a space of understanding. And take note: research has shown that open conversations bring "richness" to our lives, fulfilling us—and enriching us—in ways we seldom expect. Find Skills Once you’ve established who, take a moment to close your notebook and connect. What can be done to pacify your fears? Consider honing your communication skills: knowing how to listen effectively, taking turns in conversation, and learning how to ask questions can help you build stronger relationships and gain confidence in social situations. You can also brush up on essential qualities such as self-motivation and self-regard, both of which are essential to mental wellbeing. looking outside of yourself can inspire personal change from within. Take Control When dealing with social anxieties, try to remember: you are in control. Through a combination of private practice, personal reflection, skill-building and a supportive cast of characters, you can learn to confront, rather than continuously avoid, your fears. With time and patience, you can find the fortitude to march forward in your social life—on your terms.
  8. It can be difficult to overcome shyness and ask out the person you like. There are moments when it feels like a huge leap, and when that moment arises, all the feelings of fear and self-doubt can seem insurmountable. If you find yourself in that moment, take heart – you can overcome your shyness and have the courage to ask her out. It comes down to having the right tools at hand, understanding what works, and being willing to do the work to make it happen. First, recognize that shyness is nothing more than an emotion. It's the buildup of negative thoughts and beliefs, which you can begin to tackle. Shift your focus away from those negatives and look instead to positive affirmations. It could be something as simple as telling yourself a few times a day that you have the skills and inner strength to take the risk and put yourself out there. With time and practice, it can become second nature. Next, take small steps to improve your social confidence. To develop a more confident attitude, start by being kinder to yourself. Recognize that we all have moments of insecurity and awkwardness — it's part of our human experience. Beyond that, find ways to boost your self-esteem and realize that your worth doesn't come solely from the approval of others. Instead, focus on finding approval within yourself. You can also explore activities where shyness or low confidence won't give you much of an edge. If you enjoy fishing, photography, running or playing chess, pursue it with enthusiasm and conviction. Allow yourself to find pleasure and satisfaction without feeling the pressure of measuring up to some ideal performance. In these moments, the pressure to be someone else fades away, and you can really discover who you are. Don't be afraid to challenge yourself, either. Stretch your abilities with every opportunity you get. Whether it's trying out for a sports team, joining a book club, or just striking up a conversation with someone unexpected, take whatever possibilities arise. The more you practice putting yourself out there and tackling new tasks, the easier it will be to approach the situation with her. Finally, it's important to remember that no matter how you feel, she’s likely just as nervous around you too. So don't worry about being too shy to ask her out. Everyone has their own set of insecurities, and everyone has moments that feel a little bit out of their comfort zone. That said, if you're struggling to work up the nerve to talk to her, you can always enlist help from a friend. With their support, confident words, and encouragement, it doesn't have to be an intimidating process. Overcoming shyness takes courage and persistence. It can seem overwhelming, but by belief in yourself and putting in the effort, you can easily turn shyness into the courage it needs to take your relationship with her to the next level.
  9. Embarking upon a romantic relationship is a journey filled with paradoxes. It’s hard enough to find someone whose energy is open and inviting, let alone when you realize they are shy. Trying to pursue a shy man can be a mystery for many women. How should you break the wall between you and him? Is there light at the end of the tunnel? Read on to discover the answers to your questions. First things first, gaining the trust of a shy man isn’t an easy task. He is probably used to keeping people away and finds comfort in his solitude. Before you invest too much of your energy, take some time to assess if the situation is worth your while. Does he show any signs that you two may have a mutual connection? The key here is to go slow, don’t assume or push him into doing something he isn't comfortable with. Once you gain an inkling he might reciprocate your feelings, it’s time to start making your moves. While talking to him in person may be too daunting for a shy guy, communication through text messages and phone calls can be an effective way to start a conversation. Here, you can take the initiative and throw out the first line. Choose topics you are both interested in, talk about the day-to-day life and share stories about your favorite films. This is the perfect opportunity for you to get to know more about him, as well as make him feel at ease. Moreover, little events like throwing a surprise party or taking him on a short weekend trip will boost his confidence and help break down the wall between you two. Take off the pressure of having a “perfect date” and instead opt for a few lowkey hangouts in familiar places. Maybe a movie night or a visit to the local park might be the best start. A few drinks together would be another great way to encourage conversations and help him come out of his shell. If none of the former actions works, try to understand why he tends to shy away from socialization. Usually, shyness is a result of past traumatic experiences, so you might want to step up your game and pay more attention to what he is comfortable and uncomfortable with. Have a lengthy conversation about his likes and dislikes, as well as his goals in life. Show him that you really care about his feelings and offer solutions for his fear. At last, shy guys can be the most romantic partners yet. They’re more likely to appreciate small gestures you make for them and know how to return the favor. As long as you take the time to break the walls and recognize his needs, a shy man can become your best friend or better yet, your soulmate. So do not give up, roll your sleeves up, put on your detective’s hat and unveil the mysteries of a shy man.
  10. Shyness can be a difficult personality trait to overcome, particularly because it often leads to withdrawal from social situations, which can make it more difficult to handle. It's important to first recognize that shyness is not something that has to define you. It can be something that you work to improve over time. When it comes to starting to overcome shyness, the key is to step out of your comfort zone and do what it takes. This can often be easier said than done, but it's the only way to start developing new behaviors and eventually winning the battle with shyness. Start to challenge yourself to test the limits. For example, if you find yourself naturally retreating to the background of a conversation or situation, try making an effort to stick out and contribute meaningfully. At first this may feel daunting, but it's important to remember that others are generally less focused on you than you think. Try to learn how to make small talk in social situations. If you're in a room with people you don’t know, greet those around you and start conversations. Even if you feel uncomfortable, try to keep up with topics that interest you. Another key to overcoming shyness is to focus on your nonverbal communication. Stand tall, maintain eye contact, smile, and make sure to keep body language relaxed and open. Make sure your posture reflects confidence. Practice being assertive. Whenever you feel held back, practice speaking up about what you need or want clearly, assertively, and politely. This can take some time to get used to, so it helps to practice in places like the mirror. Finally, practice, practice, practice. All change is rarely instant, so it's important to understand that it will take ongoing effort and practice to break shy tendencies. Getting comfortable in new and challenging situations can feel scary at first, but with each attempt, you are actively honing newfound assertiveness and warding off self-doubt and negative thoughts. Start doing things that can help ease the stress of being social, like exercising and getting plenty of sleep. Take care of yourself and be patient – progress does not happen overnight and mistakes are part of the journey. Make sure to reward yourself frequently for even the smallest successes and aim to gradually increase your goals. Beginning to overcome shyness starts with recognizing that it doesn't have to you define. With a willingness to challenge yourself and different behaviors, along with some practice, you can tackle it until shyness no longer holds you back.
  11. When people feel shy, it can be difficult to take that big step of asking someone out. It’s inevitable that fear of rejection will accompany such a momentous possibility. Knowing what to say and do to get the relationship up and running can seem more daunting than ever before. The art of conversation is much more complicated than saying a few words and waiting for a response. It needs finesse, intuition, and a certain amount of luck for it to come off successfully. Too much preparation can lead to awkwardness, and too little can leave the other person feeling a lack of interest. So how does one strike the perfect balance between banter, inquisition, and vulnerability? Here are a few tips on how to make that first move. First and foremost, be sure that you are in the right state of mind. If your intentions are true and you have taken the time to meditate on the idea of having a relationship, then approach the other person with all the confidence you have. Bring your best qualities to the table, be yourself, and don’t try too hard to conform to someone else’s demographic. Fear of rejection should not be the driving force of your relationship. Though conversation may seem intimidating at first, any relationship can remain strong if communication is strong. Find common interests and topics that you both enjoy and talk about those shared experiences. Even mundane conversations can help you to get to know each other better and build trust between you. When talking about serious matters, though, be sure to listen intently and always treat the other person’s opinion with respect – even if you don’t always agree. When you do decide to take the plunge and ask someone out, keep it simple. You don’t need to put on a show or make grand gestures, but you should show genuine interest and enthusiasm for whatever you two decide to do together. Show that you deeply care about this person and would like to continue deepening your relationship in a meaningful way. Finally, don’t forget to breathe. Be mindful of your body language and vocal inflection. Try to relax and be open to whatever comes your way. Don’t immediately expect results, but don’t give up either. The path leading to your desired outcome may be winding and rocky, but with patience and good attitudes the spark will eventually catch fire.
  12. In the digital age of remote work, meditation classes, and near-instant communication, it can be difficult to make genuine connections with the people around us. For those on the more extreme end of the shyness spectrum, overwhelming anxiety can make the thought of even just introducing ourselves to fellow park-goers or ordering takeout from an unfamiliar restaurant a paralyzing prospect. To make matters worse, virtual connections can’t compare to the comfort and confidence a real social interaction provides. If that’s how you feel then you’re not alone. An estimated 20% of Americans suffer from social anxiety and around 40% of adults report having struggled with shyness at some point in their life. The highly individualized symptoms range from anxiousness in crowds to a fear of speaking up in meetings, but fortunately, the medical community offers treatments in the form of therapy or medication. While these are viable options to overcoming shyness and building social confidence, there are additional steps you can take right now to start putting yourself out there. The first step is simply to take a deep breath and acknowledge that you have nothing to lose. Remember that everybody else is feeling just as awkward and self-conscious as you are. Once that’s out of the way, the more difficult part becomes establishing genuine relationships. Reaching out can be intimidating, and for most, giving compliments to strangers is the last thing we want to do – which is why small talk is the perfect icebreaker. Start up conversations with your barista, shop assistants and bus driver, and actively listen to what they have to say. It's better when your interactions serve a shared purpose, like when someone helps you find something in the store or teaches you how to use the bus system. Long-term relationships are often based on these kind of situational interactions. When it comes to dating, social media can be a great tool for connecting with people who share your interests or living in close proximity. Asking if someone wants to grab coffee or meet up for a walk is far less intimidating than asking them on a date right off the bat. Swipe-based apps can also offer an easy way to introduce yourself and even out the playing field since the conversation requires both people to make the first move. Even if meeting someone in person seems impossible at the moment, virtual dates are commonplace and provide an opportunity to get to know someone when setting boundaries is easier. One of the biggest components of confidenece in all relationships is feeling secure. To that end, trust is paramount and needs to be earned. It's important to take each step in the process at a speed that is comfortable for both parties and accept rejections gracefully. Once built, trust opens the door to messier topics and builds a solid foundation for communication. Although loneliness is a legitimate symptom of social anxiety that zaps your energy and, in more severe cases, can be debilitating, it's important to remain patient when it comes to forging lasting relationships. Not everyone will stick around, but ultimately it isn't about the number of relationships you have – it’s about the quality of the relationships, so focus on the ones with mutual respect and connection. And don't forget about your first relationship with yourself – practice healthy habits that foster self-confidence, start a gratitude journal, learn to disconnect from electronics regularly, or go for a walk every day – whatever it takes to show yourself the love and care you need in order to love and care for others. Strength can be found in vulnerability and talking through our fears is the only way to grow. With this in mind, find the people that make you feel strong and safe, practice active listening and communicate honestly to form genuine relationships, and always remember that you’ll never truly know how much a connection means until you give it a chance. Overcoming shyness will come in due time, but life is too short to miss out on valuable connections as you wait.
  13. Shyness can be a real hurdle when it comes to socializing, networking, and making friends. If you are someone who finds it difficult to interact with others, it is important to remember that shyness is not a fixed trait but rather a habit that can be changed with practice and effort. Here are three tips to help you overcome shyness and become more confident in social situations: Practice self-compassion Shyness is often accompanied by self-criticism and negative self-talk. When you feel shy, you may tell yourself that you are not good enough or that others won't like you. These thoughts can make you feel even more self-conscious and anxious, which only reinforces your shyness. To break this cycle, it is important to practice self-compassion. Self-compassion involves treating yourself with the same kindness, concern, and understanding that you would show to a friend who is struggling. Instead of berating yourself for being shy, try to be kind and supportive. Acknowledge that it is okay to feel nervous or uncomfortable in social situations and that everyone experiences these feelings from time to time. Treat yourself with patience and empathy, and focus on your strengths rather than your weaknesses. Challenge your negative thoughts Shyness is often fueled by negative thoughts and beliefs about yourself and your ability to interact with others. These thoughts can be irrational and unrealistic, but they can also be very convincing. To overcome shyness, it is important to challenge these negative thoughts and replace them with more positive and realistic ones. Start by identifying the negative thoughts that are contributing to your shyness. For example, you might be telling yourself that you are too awkward to make conversation or that others will judge you if you speak up. Once you have identified these thoughts, try to challenge them by asking yourself questions like: Is this thought based on fact or just my perception? What evidence do I have that supports this thought? What evidence do I have that contradicts this thought? What would I say to a friend who had this thought? By challenging your negative thoughts, you can begin to see them as less true and less powerful. You can then replace them with more positive and realistic thoughts that reflect your abilities and strengths. Take small steps Overcoming shyness is not something that happens overnight. It takes time and practice to build confidence and become comfortable in social situations. To make progress, it is important to take small steps and gradually push yourself out of your comfort zone. Setting small, achievable goals for yourself. For example, you might decide to introduce yourself to one new person at a social event or to speak up in a meeting at work. Once you have achieved these goals, you can gradually increase the difficulty of the tasks you set for yourself. Celebrate your successes along the way. When you achieve a goal or take a small step out of your comfort zone, take a moment to recognize your accomplishment and pat yourself on the back. This positive reinforcement can help you build momentum and stay motivated. Shyness can be a real challenge, but it is not an insurmountable one. By practicing self-compassion, challenging your negative thoughts, and taking small steps, you can overcome shyness and become more confident in social situations. Remember that progress takes time, and be patient with yourself as you work towards your goals. With practice and effort, you can break free from the habits of shyness and build the confidence you need to succeed in all areas of your life.