question for anyone that knows anything about marijuana...

The short-term effects of marijuana can include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception; difficulty in thinking and problem solving; loss of coordination; and increased heart rate. Research findings for long-term marijuana use indicate some changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term use of other major drugs of abuse. For example, cannabinoid (THC or synthetic forms of THC) withdrawal in chronically exposed animals leads to an increase in the activation of the stress-response system and changes in the activity of nerve cells containing dopamine. Dopamine neurons are involved in the regulation of motivation and reward, and are directly or indirectly affected by all drugs of abuse.

One study has indicated that a user's risk of heart attack more than quadruples in the first hour after smoking marijuana. The researchers suggest that such an effect might occur from marijuana's effects on blood pressure and heart rate and reduced oxygen-carrying capacity of blood.

Even infrequent use can cause burning and stinging of the mouth and throat, often accompanied by a heavy cough. Someone who smokes marijuana regularly may have many of the same respiratory problems that tobacco smokers do, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, a heightened risk of lung infections, and a greater tendency to obstructed airways. Smoking marijuana increases the likelihood of developing cancer of the head or neck, and the more marijuana smoked the greater the increase. A study comparing 173 cancer patients and 176 healthy individuals produced strong evidence that marijuana smoking doubled or tripled the risk of these cancers.

Marijuana use also has the potential to promote cancer of the lungs and other parts of the respiratory tract because it contains irritants and carcinogens. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke.

Some of marijuana's adverse health effects may occur because THC impairs the immune system's ability to fight off infectious diseases and cancer. In laboratory experiments that exposed animal and human cells to THC or other marijuana ingredients, the normal disease-preventing reactions of many of the key types of immune cells were inhibited.

I suggest you read the rest at nida.nih.gov/Infofax/marijuana.html if you want to become less ignorant on the subject.

After a while you'll get almost sick of it if you do it too much. It's possible to smoke so much that you build up a tolerance and can barely get high without spending 50 bucks. That's when you start looking at other drugs - ones that are a lot more harmful and physically addictive in addition to the mental attachment. I'd stop now, or at least don't do it too often. It's not all it's cracked up to be.

Hey,

There has been thousands of researches conducted and no research can prove that Marijuana has any "permanent" effects on the human brain. It effects people in different ways.

I have used Marijuana on a social level and found that it is just not for me. It makes me paranoid and it makes me feel really crappy. I have friends who still use it and have done well with themselves. One example would be a friend of mine who is now a corporate executive for a major bank used it all through University at a habitual level. Lets see somebody with an alcohol problem pull something like that off. It really depends on the personality of the individual and what exactly it does to them.

Like I said, there is no evience that has ever been published in the American Journal of Medicine that states that the effects of long term use are permanent. Many doctors and psychologists would agree that compared to alcohol, nicotine, or even caffine, Marijuana is less harmful to a human.

Hey man,

Well from personal use, I can tell you weed is not physically addicting but mentally addicting and it is proven to be so. Meaning I don't need to do it, but I always want to. If you do decide to take it up, I would recommend you do what I do and that is not to smoke alone. If you have to be smokeing alone you know you are addicted and dependant on the drug. I also don't find the high to be as good by yourself because you are by yourself and not doing much interaction. I'm sure you would find if you were to do it that by doing it with your friends once in awhile would keep the craveing down and your tolerance low meaning you won't be spending as much on weed.

-Drumson

I have been smoking weed for about 14 years. Of all the things Ive learned about it I can say this. Basically weed is not gonna hurt you, its the fact that you are smoking it that is bad. Smoking of any kind is bad for your lungs and airways. Back in the 1800's women used to make tea with weed to relieve their menstral cramps. Im not in fact advicating the use because obviously it has some side affects that can be uncomfortable for some people as well as making you very lazy and unmotivated, which is not good. Also depends on if your using it to escape or as a substitute for some kind of emotional pain. there are many people that enjoy it as just something they do once in a while at a party or on the weekend and it does not affect thier lives mentally or physically really. Moderation is the key with anything.........except love.

There has not been one recorded death from smoking pot. You can't overdose on it.

Any addiction is psychological, your body doesn't become dependant in the way it would to nicotine or caffeine even. It's a mind thing where you just kinda whanna get high.

I smoke quite a bit, have since I was 10. I smoked all the way through college, which I started when I was 16 years old. I've done really well for myself even though I smoke.

Alcohol is more debilitating than pot and is physically addictive. I've seen so many lives ruined by alcohol, but none of my old hippy pot head friends who are in their 60's and still smoking.

Living here in a beach town I've dabbled through the other stuff. I've done pretty much everything you can imagine and every time I tell myself I shoulda just got herb instead.

Plus it has medicinal purposes and is prescribed for cancer, aids, glaucoma, and other ailments. In some countries it's legal while alcohol is illegal.