anorexia, bulemia

hey, i had a friend who was anorexic and bulimic and she died last year aged 23. i don't know about every case but hers had nothing to do with thinkin she looked fat or anything. she had obsessive compulsive disorder and this escalated into her having to control everything even food! it was horrendous to watch, i was her best friend and she hid it so well and if at any time i tried to help she would push me away and just not let me close at all. after she stopped eating, her mind didn't function properly and this made it even more difficult to overcome as it was like a vicious cycle. if i could go back now i don't know what ive have done different. she was sectioned under the mental health act for a year, got therapy and stuff but nothing helped her. basically she didn't want help and i think thats the first step, u really have to want to get better and u have to want to live with all your being. sometimes i get angry with her for leaving us all behind and not caring enough to get better for us but her mind was gone. i wish i could give you more help, the key is to find something that is not scary, i.e her food that was not scary was bread and she would nibble this, its a good first step! but then build up with other things and over time food will not seem scary. usually there are other issues for having an eating disorder, it is nothing to do with food, but the anxiety gets misplaced and becomes all about food, so its important to seek help and understanding of this and not to focus solely on eating, as the two go together whether u realise it in your own mind or not. don't shut people out either, they love you and just want to help. i hope u get better soon, eating is something that u will enjoy again one day if you sort out the other issues in life! pm anytime x