How long before I lose weight by running?

Hi,

I want to lose about 10lbs. So I started running a few weeks ago. I've only ran 1-2 times a week because I've been busy but I am aiming to run 3-4times a week, which I can do soon. I run a little over 2miles in 20min. (I know that's not a lot but it's all I can manage for now).

How long will it take before I start seeing results?

Does anyone else here run?

Everybody is different, but it shouldn't be all that long before you do see results...just keep up with it! One thing you should try to do is vary the speed your running at...keep your 20 minute pace, but sprint for awhile then slow down, the sprint slow down, you get the idea...I heard somewhere that fat becomes acustomed to routine...so you need to switch up on it...thats why at the gym on a treadmill if you run the fat burning program it's constantly changing...

Good luck, remember lots of water!!!! it helps lose weight, and if you don't already eat breakfast, it doesn't have to be big but you need to keep your metabolism going all the time!

I've started working out and I run quite a bit. I read in a fitness magazine that in order to lose any real weight, you have to lose about 500 to 600 calories for each workout session, 4 to 5 times per week. For me, I run about 40 mins. and I lose about 450 calories.

You will need to do other excercises in order to lose weight because your body will adjust to the activity, which makes losing weight harder after a while. To get you body to lose weight fast, you'll have to do a varitey of excercises rather than just running.

But running is great, don't get me wrong!

Dont just do this to lose the 10lb, keep doing it permenantly and you will stay healthy in the long term, it can help to avoid many illnesses and health conditions.

You need to vary the intensity of your running, do short sprints as dikaia880 suggested, also do some walking or very light jogging as a warmup and wamdown. If you want best results you should try implementing exercise into your daily routine, for example:

- Park further away from work and do a brisk walk to get there

- You could ride a bike or walk to work

- When you go upstairs, jog

- If you come to a hill anywhere in your routine, run up it instead of walking

- Spend more time doing work on the garden

- Do an evening walk or early morning work just before breakfast

- Eat 5 smaller meals a day instead of 3 large ones

- Spend less time sat down

- Eat more healthy food, find a nutritional plan which works for you (find these by looking on google)

Other exercises you could do to lose weight:

- Most sporting activities

- Take up a martial art

- Join a gym and use rowing machines, stationary bikes, treadmills and airsteppers

I hope this all helps!

abcd1234

If your running to just lose weight then, run 4-5x a week and jump rope and play some random sports like basketball or something.. Be extremely active... Diet eat healthy stay away from fatty foods and sugars.. Also, Maybe try a little weight lifting on the side?

running and exercising is only as good as what you put in your mouth. If you run 10 miles a day every 2 days but eat 8 waffles swimming in syrup, then 2 big macs for lunch, and 1/2 a pizza for dinner, results might now be as effective as healthy diet. Id stick away from protien I think. Protien is helpful for putting on mass right? But alot of carbs isn't good since you need to burn fat cells instead of freshly made energy from carbos.

Protien heals muscles quicker after weight lifting, it supplies your muscles with the proper amount of protien thus helping them grow.. (Adding more mass).. Protien would be useless if your just trying to lose fat... But, weight lifting helps tremendously with losing bodyfat plus a little more muscle looks good..

Protein will add lean muscle mass, not fat....

Carbs are where we get our energy...those low carb diets may cut fat out...but the health effects aren't that good...plus you need the carbs to get the energy to work out the calories!

Make sure you get enough carbs (plus meals are so much better!)

Healthy snacks...celery is a great example...high fiber low calorie....

The main thing is put out more calories than you take in...

After I lose 10lbs I will definitely keep it up and I have been watching what I eat (for about a month now). I'm looking forward to the results...so far my pants are not tight around the waist anymore.

Thanks for all your replies and advice guys.

Make sure u do at least 3 x 20 min sessions a week minimum. This is the least u need if u wish to lose weight and also improve performance.

Run at your own pace, but try to make sure by the end of the session that u are tired.

Gradually each week try to add more distance/time.

Try to have a negative 500 calories a day e.g. eat 1500, burn off 2000. This equates to a deficiency of 3500 calories a week, which is the equivalent of 1lb of fat.

So in about 2 months u will have lost what u are aiming to lose.

It takes time, but if the efforts there, u can do it. During my 2nd year of uni, i realised i was getting fat and it wasent just muscle anymore, so i started dieting. Of course being a student i was regular out drinking still, but during the day i tried to stick to 2000 calories, and in a 10 months i lost 2 stone of fat . Now im back bulking up again in the gym, putting on muscle and probably some fat, but after another month or so of this and im back to aerobic exercise and dieting again, to lose like u, about 10lb of fat.

Gl.

1st off to comment on what some other people were saying. Anything will add bodyfat if you eat enough of it, even protein. Its about calories. And there's a big difference in training to loose weight and training to loose bodyfat. Im assuming you're training to loose bodyfat, who really cares about overall weight.

• 5 years later...

You are Female so roughly, take in more than 2000 Calories

Calories in

Then you start losing weight

Run for 30 minutes at 9kph, you will burn around 444 calories

2000 calories eaten in the day - 444 Calories through excersise = 1556 Calories at the end of the day.

This is a good defecit.

DO NOT run up a negative calorie defecit like JonnyG suggests though, you will be very ill / die

Diet is key, before exercise. Plenty of water and have that early morning breakfast meal. It will quicken your metabolism and let you burn food faster

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Running is very important way to get smart and reduce our weight without any artificial ways.I do running for 30mins first 15,20 with pace then after i slow down and keep like this at the rest of the time.This is the best technique for running and try to do some exercise with this.

Running is very important way to get smart and reduce our weight without any artificial ways.I do running for 30mins first 15,20 with pace then after i slow down and keep like this at the rest of the time.This is the best technique for running and try to do some exercise with this.

You need to KEEP motivated as well! There are lots of ways to keep up your motivation (personally, I have a particular running outfit! Makes me feel like I am up for a good run when I put it on!)and loads of good tips online! I like the tips on sweatsuits.co.uk and often come back to them when I am losing my mojo!

As recommended, 3x/week is minimum, 20 mins/day. Build your way up, first increase duration, then increase intensity. Always one or the other, not both. Duration always preferred over intensity. Exercising longer (enabled by lower intensity) will burn more calories than exercising for less time at a higher intensity.

Decreasing caloric consumption by 500cal/day is a really good guideline. 7days/week x 500 calorie deficit = 3500cal/week. That's 1 lb of fat just from diet alone.

*just noticed this thread is from 2004. oh well.

link removed

• 4 weeks later...

Running can give you an enormous apetite so it is important to watch the calories as well as running. It is possible not to lose weight if you are eating more......

I gained weight in the past 'cos i felt i could eat anything......not true even doing 10k x 3-4 times a week and weights.

I think it is important to eat small amounts of healthy food every two hours when in training. Protein shakes are great. I think you have to be very careful with carbs.

It is great you are motivated to do this. I envy you. Wish I could get back to being fit.

Good Luck.

• 2 years later...

I personally found no success at losing weight by running, i ran and ran and rand i nothing happened.. I just recently read this article and I was thinking about giving it a try! Please tell me what you guys think of it and whether i should go on it! ht tp link removed take the space out between the and www, im not aloud to post links!

Archived