Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How long before I lose weight by running?

Hi,
    I want to lose about 10lbs. So I started running a few weeks ago. I've only ran 1-2 times a week because I've been busy but I am aiming to run 3-4times a week, which I can do soon. I run a little over 2miles in 20min. (I know that's not a lot but it's all I can manage for now).

How long will it take before I start seeing results?
    Does anyone else here run?

Everybody is different, but it shouldn't be all that long before you do see results...just keep up with it! One thing you should try to do is vary the speed your running at...keep your 20 minute pace, but sprint for awhile then slow down, the sprint slow down, you get the idea...I heard somewhere that fat becomes acustomed to routine...so you need to switch up on it...thats why at the gym on a treadmill if you run the fat burning program it's constantly changing...
    Good luck, remember lots of water!!!! it helps lose weight, and if you don't already eat breakfast, it doesn't have to be big but you need to keep your metabolism going all the time!
    "You can lose all your money, You can lose all your gold...BUT you can never lose your Heart, you can never lose you Soul..."
    from "a crazy game of poker" by OAR, their music gives perspective to life

I've started working out and I run quite a bit. I read in a fitness magazine that in order to lose any real weight, you have to lose about 500 to 600 calories for each workout session, 4 to 5 times per week. For me, I run about 40 mins. and I lose about 450 calories.

You will need to do other excercises in order to lose weight because your body will adjust to the activity, which makes losing weight harder after a while. To get you body to lose weight fast, you'll have to do a varitey of excercises rather than just running.
    But running is great, don't get me wrong!

Dont just do this to lose the 10lb, keep doing it permenantly and you will stay healthy in the long term, it can help to avoid many illnesses and health conditions.

You need to vary the intensity of your running, do short sprints as dikaia880 suggested, also do some walking or very light jogging as a warmup and wamdown. If you want best results you should try implementing exercise into your daily routine, for example:

- Park further away from work and do a brisk walk to get there
    - You could ride a bike or walk to work
    - When you go upstairs, jog
    - If you come to a hill anywhere in your routine, run up it instead of walking
    - Spend more time doing work on the garden
    - Do an evening walk or early morning work just before breakfast
    - Eat 5 smaller meals a day instead of 3 large ones
    - Spend less time sat down
    - Eat more healthy food, find a nutritional plan which works for you (find these by looking on google)

Other exercises you could do to lose weight:
    - Most sporting activities
    - Take up a martial art
    - Join a gym and use rowing machines, stationary bikes, treadmills and airsteppers

I hope this all helps!
    abcd1234
    You should have seen
    The curse that flew right by you
    Page of concrete
    Stained walks crutch in hobbled sway
    Autodafe

If your running to just lose weight then, run 4-5x a week and jump rope and play some random sports like basketball or something.. Be extremely active... Diet eat healthy stay away from fatty foods and sugars.. Also, Maybe try a little weight lifting on the side?

running and exercising is only as good as what you put in your mouth. If you run 10 miles a day every 2 days but eat 8 waffles swimming in syrup, then 2 big macs for lunch, and 1/2 a pizza for dinner, results might now be as effective as healthy diet. Id stick away from protien I think. Protien is helpful for putting on mass right? But alot of carbs isn't good since you need to burn fat cells instead of freshly made energy from carbos.

Protien heals muscles quicker after weight lifting, it supplies your muscles with the proper amount of protien thus helping them grow.. (Adding more mass).. Protien would be useless if your just trying to lose fat... But, weight lifting helps tremendously with losing bodyfat plus a little more muscle looks good..

Protein will add lean muscle mass, not fat....
    Carbs are where we get our energy...those low carb diets may cut fat out...but the health effects aren't that good...plus you need the carbs to get the energy to work out the calories!
    Make sure you get enough carbs (plus meals are so much better!)
    Healthy snacks...celery is a great example...high fiber low calorie....
    The main thing is put out more calories than you take in...
    "You can lose all your money, You can lose all your gold...BUT you can never lose your Heart, you can never lose you Soul..."
    from "a crazy game of poker" by OAR, their music gives perspective to life

After I lose 10lbs I will definately keep it up and I have been watching what I eat (for about a month now). I'm looking forward to the results...so far my pants are not tight around the waist anymore.
    Thanks for all your replies and advice guys.

At least you know that you are on the right track, keep doing what you are doing and the difference will increase. As your body becomes more accustomed to working at a certain intensity, increase it.

abcd1234
    You should have seen
    The curse that flew right by you
    Page of concrete
    Stained walks crutch in hobbled sway
    Autodafe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
According to the findings of a recent study, married women may find themselves drinking a lot more alcohol than single or divorced women, while ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It turns out that, when under stress, men tend to be attracted to women with a more curvaceous body type, found a new research, according to which ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Marriage and divorce are linked to weight gain among both women and men, and especially those who are over age 30, found U.S. sociologists. However, ...