I believe I have the HPV virus. Usually I'm very careful and practice safe sex but I think a girl I was dating 6 months ago was infected and she passed it on to me, probably when a condom broke but I have also heard the virus can be transmitted regardless of the use of contraception. I couldn't have caught the virus off anyone else because there hasn't been anyone else since her. Not sure how I feel about the girl, we broke up a while ago but remained friends... I haven't spoken to her since I noticed a few small warts on my penis and realised what i had. If she had no idea she was infected with the virus then it's not her fault is it? I still can't help thinking I will be infected for the rest of my life because of her.

I have, however met someone else I really like, but I can't stop thinking about what happens when she wants to have sex? I don't even want her to touch me in case she gets infected so there's no way I could have sex with her. I've thought about what I could say but what if the risks scare her away. We've only been dating a few weeks. Is it going to be like this for the rest of my life!??! What do I do?

Have you seen a docter and they actually said you had this ? I know a few guys that get sorta pimply warty looking things on there privates and they think its some disease when infact its just something that happens and isnt a disease at all!

But in the case you do have HPV then you should for sure tell this girl about it because she could be giving it to others

No, not seen doc yet. I've looked at hundreds of websites relating to HPV and I'm pretty sure that's what i have.

I guess the best thing to do is go to docs but even so, there is no cure. All the doc can do is remove the warts but I can still pass on the virus so what's the point?!?!

HPV is not permanent. Your body will eventually flush it out of your system and it is the only STD I know that can actually seep thru latex(condom). So, she could have it and not know which I think you should first get an STD test to confirm, then let her know b/c if she needs to know. She can get what is called dysplasia which is an abnormal cell growth leading to a greater chance of cervical cancer. Which is heightened by smoking and sunbathing. She needs to know this for her health. Otherwise, you can take topical antibiotics till it is flushed from your system but I am not aware of how long the process takes.

I've done a fair amount of research on this as well. Some facts..

About 1 in 3 people have HPV. Most don't even know it. HPV has various strains, some can cause cancer in women, some do not. As a male, you'll never know what strain you have, no tests have been developed yet.

NOTE: As long as a woman has a PAP test at least once a year, they should be okay. Early detection would remove any concern for cancer.

HPV is very manageable and yes, it can possibly, go away, but I'm not sure if you would ever know that because it's a latent disease.

THEIR ARE WORKING HPV VACCINES OUT THERE. They are not approved for the public yet, but the fact is, HPV is something that I think will be beat. The latest news is that a vaccine could be ready with 5 years. How old are you??? 16-17??? if so, I would suggest waiting a while before having sex... follow the progress of the vaccine.

You need to tell your partner.

No, she hasn't got it. In fact I've passed it on to nobody as I've not had sex since I became infected. It's a relief to hear you say that it's not permanent but i don't think that's true as every source I have found on the internet says the virus can become inactive but still remains in your system and can be activated again. When the virus is inactive, the warts disappear but the infection can still be transmitted.

Anyway, I'm going to visit a doctor as soon as I can to get these removed. Not sure how I'm going to tell my girl but be assured I will not be having sex until she has been given the choice.

Um yeah, it's interesting that this was posted now because I think I'm in kind of the same boat. About a year ago my GF at the time went to the gyno because she thought she had HPV well it turns out she was right. She had a procedure to remove the warts, I in turn (even though I had none) went to the dr. to get checked out (he found nothing) and blood work will not pick it up. The dr. said it possible that I didn't contract it. Well we layed of sex for the recovery period and then some and she had no signs of the warts coming back. Then of course we started having sex again and kind of forgot it ever even happened. We broke up at the end of march, I have not been with anybody since. About a week ago Sunday I was in the shower and I noticed a bump/wart on the inside of my thigh up toward my groin. It has gotten a little bigger but has stoped growing. I've made an apointment to see the dr. but I'm sure that HPV is what I have. I realize also that HPV does not flush out of your system so the odds of getting it from her where pretty high (even though she has not had an outbreak, at least she hasn't told me) we are broken up though with the no contact in place and I don't really want to have to talk to her, it can get ugly and I have been with nobody since her.

She knows she has it, is it imperitive that I contact her to let her know that I have now had an outbreak, or do you think since it's known to her that I can get by without informing her that she passed it on.

What do you think.

Sorry to steal this thread form you mikeyc but any advice would be a great help. thanx.

Is there a cure for HPV?

Since HPV is a virus, there is no cure. However, new studies indicate that approximately 70-90% of people with HPV may clear the virus from the body within two years of infection. Re-infection is possible.

indiana.edu/~health/hpv.html

I had HPV, was treated topically and now am totally HPV free. From what I understand it is totally gone, my paps come back clean. My doctor has told me that I should not have any flare ups, its been 3 years since I had a clear pap.

I think the best thing to do is first off get the warts treated, then make sure you are eating a healthy diet, drinking plenty of water, sleeping 8 hours a night, and getting all your vitamins. Your body can beat the disease, so beef up your defenses.

Twiz, I would expect a 27 year old to be a bit more informed.

link removed

link removed

link removed

link removed

link removed

Would you like me to do any more research in regards to it not being curable, or will 5 separate websites be sufficent?

No offense intended I just want the correct information like everybody else and felt your information was outdated. Since I cannot verify how up-to-date all your sources are or how recent mine was I decided to go to the main source of them all, CDC, Center for Disease Control. This is what I found and the link. I hope this puts our argument to rest.

"Most people who become infected with HPV will not have any symptoms and will clear the infection on their own. "

link removed

"Is there a cure for HPV?

There is no "cure" for HPV infection, although in most women the infection goes away on its own"

1) link removed says HPV does regress or go into a low term remission. At this time no one know what the virus does.- Basically, this means that they cannot verify if it is flushed from the system or not.

2) link removed- this webpage simply says it is not curable, which I agree. You cannot cure it, only time and your immune system will kill it off and flush it out.

3) link removed -At the bottom of the webpage it shows this: Last Reviewed April 2002. This webpage is very outdated and a lot of new info has been discovered by now.

4) link removed- this document again repeats it is not curable, I agree and also says incubation period is 20 months w/o showing signs. It NEVER says your body won't get rid of it.

5) link removed - The bottom of the webpage says Created: 3/1/2001 - Donnica Moore, M.D. This is very outdated and thereforeeee should be treated as such.

This is NOT an attack on you and should not be taken that way. I wanted the truth and there does seem to be confusion between "No Cure" and it will naturally be killed off or flushed out. Overwhelmingly, including the CDC website says only that your body will clear the infection on its own. Oh, and sufficient has an "i" in it

There is no cure, PERIOD. You are marrying the word CURE with the absense of symptoms. Yes your body will fight the symptoms, but it will not CURE the disease. This is the error of your post.

I wasnt writing in regards to infection or symptoms, or any of the garbage you are spewing on this website.

If you have it, you have it for LIFE. I dont care if you have no symptoms, or you body is fighting it off, you have it and there is no cure.

This non sense with killing it off, killing what, the symptoms. Yes you may kill the symptoms, but you arent killing the virus, only the effects of it. If you cant cure it, does that mean that its gone, no, it means you have NO SYMPTOMS.

Thank you for the spelling correction, considering I was posting off my blackberry device, I was pretty happy with the result of my post.

Your post is so ignorant that I had to reply, you say, "this document again repeats it is not curable, I agree and also says incubation period is 20 months w/o showing signs. It NEVER says your body won't get rid of it. " Hmm, really, you have to loook up the definition of curable and non curable. Your post contradicts itself, why would the website say your body gets rid of it, if it did it WOULD BE CURABLE.

HPV is not permanent. Your body will eventually flush it out of your system and it is the only STD I know that can actually seep thru latex(condom).
HPV is indeed permanent. But Michael2 has taken care of the tongue lashing you deserve pretty well, so I'll leave him to it.

Part 2 - seep thru latex?? No. It doesn't seep through. HPV is contracted by contact with skin.

In addition, to the gentlemen posting about his girlfriend, it is possible that she didn't know she had an outbreak, as I'm sure you're aware not all parts of a woman are visible at all times.

This will be my last post because I fail to see the point in arguing with two people who do not understand medical vernacular.

Again, there is no cure for the common cold but it is not permanent and that is the similarity I am drawing. Just b/c there is no cure for the common cold doesn't mean you can't treat the "infection" and have it eventually flushed from your system. Michael2, I know there is no cure and I never said there was from the beginning. I am not spewing nonsense when I get all my sources from CDC unlike your out-dated info.

Source: link removed

Although there is currently no "cure" for genital HPV infection, most cases are transient (transient means Remaining in a place only a brief time: transient laborers) and clear themselves without medical intervention (CDC, 2001; Elfgren, et al., 2000; Ho, et al., 1998). One study designed to determine the natural history of genital HPV infection followed college women for three years (Ho, et al., 1998). HPV was detected using a sensitive DNA test that detects small amounts of HPV, even when there are no symptoms present. While there was a high rate of HPV infection (43 percent tested positive for HPV at some point over the study period), the average duration of HPV infection was eight months. Repeated HPV DNA testing showed that seventy percent of the women cleared their HPV infections within one year through the natural immune process, and only nine percent continued to be infected after two years. Another study conducted in Sweden supported these findings, with a five-year clearance rate of 92 percent (Elfgren, et al., 2000). In both studies, the viral type of HPV was a major determinant in the duration of infection, with types 16, AE7, 61, 18, and 73 having the longest average duration (Elfgren, et al., 2000; Ho, et al., 1998).

For the last time.. HPV IS NOT PERMANENT AND THERE IS PROOF TO SHOW CONDOMS ARE NOT 100% EFFECTIVE AT STOPPING HPV TRANSMISSION AKA INFECTION.

This is such a simple comparison to the common cold which is also a virus. You get a cold, it lasts for a finite interval and is then expelled by the immune system. How can you not understand the simplicity in this and the fact there is NO CURE for the common cold but you still get rid of it. I will not argue anymore with ignorance. Let the readers verify and analyze the data.

THERE IS PROOF TO SHOW CONDOMS ARE NOT 100% EFFECTIVE AT STOPPING HPV TRANSMISSION AKA INFECTION.

Right. Because like I said and is quoted here in your own source:

"HPV is transmitted by direct skin-to-skin contact with an infected individual." link removed

Unless you're talking about new & improved proof that actually prooves that HPV "seeps" through condoms.

Otherwise, you and your latest research and understanding of medical vernacular have a point. I learned something. It very well can flare up repeatedly & in fact be permanent, howeer. But damned if you aren't hyper as hell over it. Glad you're taking a little break, man.

Twizod. Sorry it's your last post on this suject mate, I'd just like to thank you for the highly informative and well researched posts and apologise for the 2 people that seem intent on shooting you down. It seems to me that Michael2 is more intent on making people infected with HPV feel worse rather than posting useful advice.

Thankyou.