This high protein stuff I've been eating giving me blemishes

Hi all,

As some here may know I've started working out in the gym to get big. Anyway I also changed my diet to get as MUCH protein as possible. I drink half a gallon of skim milk a day, 3 cans of tuna a day(luckily I like tuna ) fish and lean red meat most days.

The thing is that since I've changed my diet I've noticed that my face has gotten some red blemishes, not acne, just red blemishes. I thought eating this healthy stuff I shouldn't get these blemishes, it's nothing major it's just a little disconcerting. I've never had any problems like acne before so what do you guys think is going on?

When I was into junkfood my face was fine! Weird.... what do you guys think is going on here

Thanks in advance!

Hello.

thats a lot of milk, i know its good protien, but thats a lot of lactose. try looking for lactose reduced varieties. lactose is hard on the digestion.

As for the tuna, its really good protein, but mercury is high, some experts dont even recommend eating more then 2 cans a week.

It may take your body time to adapt to the new diet, take it slower. chicken breasts are pure protein. and many ways to prepare.

Gilgamesh is right about the Mecury in tuna. Cut down the tuna and eat more broiled/grilled chicked. I found that Costco has grilled chicked in big bags that I put over romain lettuce and a little ceasar salad dressing. You could also add some grilled veggies also. Chicken is very high in protein and I eat it everyday. I take a break from chicken with tuna.

Since you are probally not fat like I was then you could cut out the salad and just eat the chicken.

Good luck,

Hubman

Seafood, including tuna can not only have mercury but also niacin in general. If you eat a lot of foods that have high niacin content it can it's been clinically shown to cause skin irritation as your body tries to eliminate excess amounts.

When I was into weight lifting I was told that with a high protein diet you need to be sure to drink LOTS of water... I'm talking like a full gallon a day if not more. Basically if toxins don't come out of your body in your urine, then it comes out through the skin-- and often on it's way out through the skin it irritates the membranes and can cause breakouts and rashes. Not only does the water cleans all the toxins that may have built up in your system over time (like when you were on a diet of junk food), it pumps up the water content of your muscle making your muscles look bigger over all, and it can also help you get rid of the broken down fat circulating in your system after workout. Water helps cleanse the lactic acid out of your muscles more efficiently after a heavy work out (lactic acid is what gives you that burning feeling in your muscles after you've maxed out) and water usually floods into those muscles in effort to rid those muscles of remaining acids-- causing soreness. The soreness you feel after a work out is caused by your muscles retaining the water the cells need to cleanse and repair itself into bigger better muscles.

Although I know fish protein is some of the best protein out there... and if you think niacin might be causing your flare up, maybe switch to skinned, lean chicken breasts. Or if you don't want to stop eating the tuna, try just increasing your water intake.

Also, Niacin is also commonly in high-stress nutritional supplements-- and some high-stress supplements have massive amounts of niacin. So also check your vitamin supplements.

Water is your friend when you're working out. Drink lots of it through out the day....

Hey puny....sounds like everyone has a secret remedy. Take or leave what you've read here, do what works for you and your tastes. My experience has been that whenever I drastically change my diet, I get blemishes for a while until my body adapts. I think this is all that is happening. Good Luck!

Hey, I also know that testosterone will make you breakout a bit. They say this happens to people who shoot steroids alot, which is just basically a testosterone nitro blast! So with what you are saying, I think you're probably doing something right because your body wouldn't be producing alot of testosterone unless it was groWING! Keep it up dude!

• 3 weeks later...
Cut down on the tuna. Eat more chicken breasts, eggs, and veggies for protien. I'd suggest you buy some whey protien, Nlarge II is good.
I have to say that is the best way to get protien. But eating alot of protien wont help you that much. Just eat well. Lot of time if you eat alot of protien you will not eat the requred carbs, so your body has to turn the protien into carbs and that is hard to do for your body. So eat right and you will get your resalts that you want.