PLEASE HELP, MY FATHER IS AN ALCOHOLIC

My father has a huge drinking problem, I think it all started when he was little since his father was an alcoholic too, he's now dead. My mom divorced my dad because of his problem, and his problem is becoming bigger now. Last week we were supposed to go somewhere for the weekend, but he got drunk and his new wife left him, I had to call my mom so that she could pick me up. The next day he called me telling me he was really lonely, and since there's been other times Im with him drunk(he talks about suicide, and me not loving him, etc) I said no, and I left him alone, and we didnt speak for all the weekend. On wednesdayw e saw eachothwer again and he told me that the next weekend we'd have a great time and go to the movies, and all those things. I went to the movies yesterday(friday) and he said he's pick me up at 8:00 at a friend's house. So there I am, waiting, and at 9:00 PM he calls and tells me that he's coming, I asked if he was ok, meaning r u drunk, he said yes yes I am, but I didnt believe him, so later he said, no Im not ok, so Ill pick u up at your mom's tomorrow at 11:00am So here I am waiting and when I go out he's still drunk, we went to have someething for breakfast and we star chatting, he tells me about his last night drunk experience, he told me that the world is not perfect and that he's sick so I must be there for him, wether I want or dont want, so Im like, no u need to go to a detox or something and he said he wouldnt go because it would be worse, and that I have to help him. Well, we are done having breakfast and I told him I preferred staying at home with my mom, and that Id see him tomorrow, and he got all mad and verbally aggressive, and told me that the world is not perfect and that I think everything is good and shit, and he starts getting more aggressive saying he'd see me again when he stopped drinking, So I asked him when would this be and he told me "IT WILL BE WHEN IT HAS TO BE!!" Im like alright.... I started to really feel bad, like if I had to stay and take care of him, but I thought that if this is the way it would be all the time he got drunk Id be the one who'd end up drinking and all messed up and im 16, so I went home.

I dont know what to do, Its really hard for me to see that my father, some one that I love very very much is self-destructing himself this way, the worst thing of this is that he's a diabetic. So what should I do, should I stay there and take care of him all the time? Did I did wrong by leaving him by himself? PLEASE HELP ME

Thanx

hi malhez!

My dad used to have similar problems too. he used to come back from work so drunk he didn't know what he was doing. THen he got in trouble one day with one of his co- workers. Anyway, you have to talk to your dad about his problem. Tell him how you're uncomfortable with his habits. If you can , try to get him on a rehab program. In your case, patience is a virtue. Things are not going to happen overnight.

Keep trying my friend.

All the best!

Cheech

Hi Malhez. I am a recovering alcoholic, 19 months sober.

There is an excellent message board at link removed please

post a message under newcomers board or under Alcoholics Anonymous

or under Al-Anon (Al-Alon is for families of alcoholics). There is a lot

of information and support on that site, please check it out and don't

give up. God Bless.

I can tell you that my father was a very bad alcoholic, and because of his choices he made, he is not alive anymore. There are days I look back on the times I saw my dad throwing up because he had drank too much and how I couldve been there for him showing him how much I really did care, and now I don't have the chance. I know you care and love your father, but honestly I don't think you should stay and take care of him because I have seen what alcohol can do to a person, and a person is VERY different when they are drunk then what they would normally be if they were sober. I know my father abused my mother when he was drunk even if she looked at him the wrong way. I don't think you should take the chance, because like you said, he got verbally aggressive, and thats the way it usually all starts. I know you probably feel like you should be there with your father, but for your own sake, stay with your mom. Let me be the first one to tell you, you don't want to live in that kind of environment..

~Jenn

• 8 years later...

Archived