Having trouble moving on after 2.5 year relationship

This past February my ex broke up with me the day before Valentine's day. I was devastated but immediately started NC considering I could not believe he would leave me. I'm 22 and he is now 24. His reasoning for leaving me was "we are just not compatible". This just hurt me so bad because for 2.5 years I changed my whole life to make him my priority. Our relationship was based upon things he wanted to do but we would usually always have fun. Now that the relationship is over I have nothing to do but work. My friends areng really there for me. And now that it's 3 months since the break up they probably do not know im upset. I try to think of activities to do but I find myself doing every thing alone. I'm feeling very lonely. Can someone please give me advice on how to move on from my ex? Even if you can give me advice on how you got over your ex.

You're doing very well. Keep up the NC, keep up with your responsibilities, keep as busy as you can (while keeping sane), and just work on you. 2.5 years isn't exactly chump change, so definitely don't kick yourself for needing more than three months.

It cures some quicker than others, but as long as you're doing your part, time will heal you, too.

Keep your head up.

You took a wrong turn at "changed my whole life and made him my priority."

Let this be a harsh lesson that that isn't the way compatible relationships work. Maintain your own interests and friends. A relationship should be a wonderful addition to your life....not your whole life.

Just keep getting back to yourself. I've made the mistake of letting my relationship be too big a part of my life and who I am, so when the relationship ends, I feel a bit listless. I'm still working through the most recent one, but I'm making progress and trying to be mindful of the things I am doing or CAN do that I wasn't able to do because of the relationship's restraints.

August, I'm going through similar circumstances. Was also told the incompatibility line, after 3 years?! After I had moved to start a life with him as well. Fuming!

But it sounds like you're on the right path. Can you reach out to your friends and let them know that you're still kind of struggling, and organise a catchup over coffee or girls night out. You say you did a lot of things HE wanted, now explore some fun things that you want to do. Is there a promotion you can concentrate on at work or get trained in a new skill?

Re: Compatibility

I would say that my two longest relationships were with people I was incompatible with in a lot of ways. Sometimes I think it's just a combination of things that can aid such relationships is existing much longer than they should: Comfort, ignoring the incompatibilities, downplaying the incompatibilities, thinking that things will eventually somehow change or improve, etc. It's not always a copout when someone tells the other person this. A couple months after my ex and I split, she said, "We just don't work well together." And she was completely right. Even when we were both trying, something usually felt a bit off and unnatural. I think it was just the overarching clash of styles and personal philosophy.

Archived