Having a hard time moving on

CAPS4SAMMEH

Just over a month ago things officially ended between me and a couple of friends I've had for 6 years. This past year has been filled with drama, anger and attitude which led to the ending of the friendship. I had a really tough time the first two weeks. I was incredibly depressed, only got out of bed to go to work and class, and things were really difficult for me. I joined the gym last week and that's made me feel better but I can't get them out of my head. I've never had such a close friendship. I understand why the friendship ended and I keep having to remind myself that if we did start talking again, things would just go down the same path. But I keep thinking of some indirect way of communicating with them. Or somehow if I ran into them in public, how would things go. I want things to go back to the simpler times before all the drama and fighting. I miss them so much. But then I think about our latest argument and some of things that were said, B told me that "Everyone keeps telling me to stop being friends with you." Every time I think of that, my stomach is in knots. I don't know which of my friends said it, or if all of them did. I'm just having a really rough time getting over this, and I don't think there's going to be any light at the end of the tunnel.

We were such a close group of friends for so long. And I hate so much that it's over because of some stupid girl drama. Honestly I don't know why I started writing this. It just helps me to write out all my problems and maybe get some feedback of some kind. I was gonna go to the gym today and try to be productive and keep my mind off things, but I've been crying for the past hour. So today quickly became one of my bad days. Any advice on preventing the bad days? Helping me get out of this funk and move on? And most importantly, convincing me to not try to contact them. I know it'll go downhill, whether it's immediately or six months from now. But I keep thinking if I message them or something, things will be like the good ol' days again.

Please help. If you've got a magical spell that'll make all my problems go away, that'd be perfect, but I'll take whatever I can get.

When I was going through my break up...I told myself:

If I can't have this (the relationship) I will take that energy and fuel other things....fitness, being better at work. I took the sadness and frustration and kicked butt. I knew the turning point was when I realized I was sick and tired...of being heartsick and tired. And I told myself I would be damned if he would take up any more of my time and energy.

Skip 'all or nothing' thinking. Be civil whenever you see any of them in public. Don't raise any of the issues for rehashing--ever. Continue to be civil no matter what.

Over time the wounds will heal and sentimentality will win. When the opportunity is right you'll recognize it and say something kind that will open a door. Meanwhile, trust time and distance to work their magic and allow things to cool down and normalize.

And meanwhile, focus on your health and a goal of surprising everyone--including yourself--with your resiliency and ability to bounce back from this. You will thank yourself later.

Head high.

Archived